New Steve Perry album "Traces" coming October 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjp, Aug 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I'm torn on this one. Honestly, I think they make the album feel over-long and don't really distinguish themselves, but given another pass after time away, my opinion might change.

There's certainly nothing offensive there and I do think that "Blue Jays Fly" is very moving... Even if it doesn't quite fit into the album as a whole. Basically, if you can get it and you like the album already, I'd say go for it, but there's nothing essential. That make sense?

2. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

This came out a few weeks ago so I apologize if everyone already knew about, but Perry has recorded a couple of Christmas songs. Here's "Silver Bells":

Talisman954 likes this.
  3. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Here's "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas":

4. DBMartin

DBMartin Forum Resident

I just checked out the bonus tracks for the first time, and I quite like October in New York and Blue Jays Fly, so I might end up buying the deluxe CD after all...

Talisman954, Runicen and johnny q like this.
  5. Conestoga Rankin

Conestoga Rankin A man, no worse than any man

What do you mean by this?

6. Conestoga Rankin

None of the FTLOSM shows were professionally recorded, so Sony couldn't do it even if they wanted to.

7. Conestoga Rankin

Overuse on tour. Singing like that for 2 hours a night, 100+ nights a year took its toll.

It doesn't sound like a demo at all, what are you talking about? All of the vocals on FTLOSM have the same microphone/reverb sound. I like it, the combination of close mic-ing with massive reverb is amazing.

Jimmy Agates and krock2009 like this.
  8. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Sony did release a live version of Missing You from San Francisco 12/9/94 on the FTLOSM reissue, so I assumed there was more material from that source.

9. Conestoga Rankin

Apparently they recorded that one from the soundboard and nothing more. I'll try to find the interview where Steve said that. He also said they taped some of the rehearsals, maybe there's a dress rehearsal they could use.

I also think the Missing You live recording on the reissue is sped up. It's in B major, whereas all of the bootleg live recordings of it are in Bb major (the same key the studio recording was in).

10. PacificOceanBlue

It could be from a board, but I would be surprised if the entire show was not captured, or at least more than one song. I always take those stories with a grain of salt. What would have been the reason to have the sound engineer record one specific song via soundboard? I suppose there could have been a specific purpose, like capturing a particular song for a potential maxi-single/b-side, but I am skeptical.

11. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

New mini album on its way in December.....whilst he works on new material

While Traces Alternate Versions and Sketches won’t feature any new songs, Perry noted that further releases are on the way. “The acoustic Traces is going to close the Traces chapter,” he explained. “Then I’m opening up another chapter next year at some point.”

Perry added that he has “lots of music, so much stuff” that he is anxious for fans to hear. “I have a studio and I’m always writing and always recording stuff.”

12. ptijerm

ptijerm Forum Resident

Thanks for posting; this is the first I've seen of the cover. Looks nice. Has there been any information yet on release formats (e.g., CD/vinyl), or will it be a digital release only?

Kiss73 likes this.
  13. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Nothing yet in terms of formats, however going by the Steve Perry store, I suspect there will be a variety of formats and merchandise. Amazon UK have links for CD & Vinyl but not live yet.

Traces was a slow burner for me when it came out, as it was quite subtle in places, but every time I play it now I am stunned at what a great album it is. Not sure what this new version will bring to the party, but will pick it up anyway.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    Jimmy Agates, artfromtex and ptijerm like this.
  14. ptijerm

ptijerm Forum Resident

Thanks! Didn't know about the Amazon UK listings. Good to know; will now keep an eye out on other sites.

15. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

I am so grateful that a low-key stripped-down version of this album is getting released. The original was way too aggressive for my taste.

:shh:

16. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

I'm not that big of a Steve Perry fan but I clicked on a link to the "Radio Mix" of a song called "Most of All" and found it quite engaging. A very haunting vocal, wrapped around chord progressions you don't hear too often in pop music. Thumbs up!

OptimisticGoat, carlwm and artfromtex like this.
  17. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Just found this awesome track on Youtube. Anyone know anything about it....

OptimisticGoat and carlwm like this.
  18. rjp

rjp Senior Member Thread Starter

new to me.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  19. rjp

how about ****ing amazon?

this CD comes out friday....i ordered it the day it was listed........i am told it will arrive by december 22.......18 days.......it is for my wife for christmas.....wonder if she'll get it?

20. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

That's ridiculous.

21. rjp

seriously....ya think they are pushing 'prime'?

**** em, not getting that $100+ a year form me nothing more than fast shipping. i'll just keep making my orders enough to get free and i'll wait.

artfromtex likes this.
  22. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Why do 99% of covers these days look like they were designed by a high school kid in a Photoshop class? Just awful.

23. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Really?? **** me, you must have went to some talented high school.

I think the cover for this and especially Traces are stunning, and rank as two of the best album cover designs I have seen in decades......if you don't know what I mean - juts go to Itunes and just click on "New Albums" and see what I mean.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  24. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Yep, really.

This atrocity is up there with the latest Dennis DeYoung and Alan Parsons covers.

Bill007 likes this.
  25. PacificOceanBlue

I don't find the news of this soon-to-be released album very exciting. Traces wasn't exactly the most melodic, interesting album ever released. I am not sure how a collection of stripped down versions is going to be an overly rewarding listening experience. It is always great to hear Steve Perry's vocal work because he is one of the greats, but this is a guy with likely an extensive back catalogue of unheard music that he accumulated throughout the past 25 years, and that is what would be really interesting to hear. Even a clean version of Home At Last from his mid-1990's session with Dick Wagner would be great to hear.

Echoplex, Runicen and artfromtex like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.