New Streamer - Moon 280D or Lumin D2?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by beckzito, Feb 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beckzito

beckzito Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi

I am new in this area and i am consuming online all information i can to make a secure choice.
    I have a Luxman 507 with no DAC and no stream capabilities so i need an all in one box.
    My main purpose is to stream via spotify and tidal hi-fi, usb is welcome but not mandatory.

I have come to two main competitors: Moon 280d(mind version) or Lumix D2.
    Anyone has experience comparing these two units and may recommend me one or the other, specially on sound quality via ethernet/wifi from stream services?

Much appreciated.

2. freesole

freesole Forum Resident

I just recently purchased the Lumin T2 which now replaces my PS Audio Directstream Jr dac. The DSJ was a solid performer that I didn't think could be so easily replaced but the T2 did.

4xoddic and beckzito like this.
  3. Hudson

Hudson Forum Resident

I just received a Lumin D2 and spent a few hours using Roon. So far very impressed! It sound neutral and musical. My limited audition of the Moon was less impressive - it seemed less revealing and a tad bright. The dealer admitted the DAC was less than impressive.

4xoddic, beckzito and freesole like this.
  4. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Did you make a purchase?

Looking at the Moon 280d w/ mind as well.
    ALso looking at the 360 and new Bryston BDA3.14, although these 2 are more expensive.

I have a Moon260D transport which has been very impressive.

5. beckzito

beckzito Forum Resident Thread Starter

I ended up with a Lumin D1 plus the sbooster power supply, i found it at 90% of the performance of the D2... at half the price.

6. bbsupersport

bbsupersport Active Member

I realize this post is from almost 5 months ago, but curious to hear which DAC/Streamer you decided on. I'm also looking the the Moon 280DMiND2 and the Bryston BDA-3.14.

7. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

I did not make a purchase. Elected to purchase a another guitar.

Still considering the Moon and Bryston for future acquisition.

8. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

The BDA-3.14 is a nice unit. Especially if you need the extra DAC functions for other units (cd player, etc). I've always been impressed with BDA-3 dac on it's own.

The Lumin T2 is flat out awesome if one is looking for a streamer only. And the D2 is really quite impressive at it's price point.

4xoddic likes this.
  9. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Taylor, do you have any experience with the Lumin U1 Mini? I’m not a fan of a DAC built in to a streamer. And the Mini, even with an external power supply, appears to be far cheaper than the full size U1.

GoldprintAudio likes this.
  10. GoldprintAudio

Yes sir.... I short, I love it. I've have a demo U1 Mini here that I've been using several months. Tried with a combo of different DACs, (mostly Bel Canto and Line Magnetic) and it sounds flat out awesome for it's price class. While I think most of the Lumin gear is really a great value for what you get, the U1 Mini is likely one of the best bang for the buck in the Lumin line up.

4xoddic likes this.
  11. OC Zed

OC Zed Bludgeon Riffola

I’m bumping this thread as I’m currently in the market for a streamer to pair with my Meridian 218 (DAC) or possibly going with a DAC/streamer combo to replace the Meridian. For streamer-only options, I’ve started looking at the Lumin U1 Mini as the mid-point if my budget. I have the T2 in my other system and absolutely love it, so I would be happy staying within the Lumin family. I’m wondering though how much do I really gain with the U1 Mini over a cheaper option like the Bluesound? Alternatively, what would I gain if pay more for something like the Auralic Aries G1?

If I go the DAC/streamer combo route, how would the Bryston BDA3.14 compare with any of the above?

Goldprint Audio (and anyone else) - I’d love to hear your current impressions on any of these.

12. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Am I correct by saying if you go up notch from the D2 to the T2, you can output to another dac (if you want an upgraded dac down the road) and keep tuning the T2 as a streamer only?

13. GoldprintAudio

The T2 does have a digital output if you would want to use it in that manor. But the on-board Sabre chips are quite good in the T2. I would want to try it out before making the swap to make sure your external dac actually bested the T2's dac.

14. GoldprintAudio

The Auralic would give you the fancy screen if that's something you like.

I've never used a Bluesound as a streamer, so personally I don't know what they sound like in comparison to the U1 Mini.

Since you are familiar with, and like the Lumin platform, that seems like a logical step to combo with your Meridian.

15. OC Zed

OC Zed Bludgeon Riffola

Thanks. And any additional impressions on the Bryston BDA 3.14? As a point of comparison, how does that DAC/streamer combo compare with the Lumin T2?

16. WildPhydeaux

WildPhydeaux Forum Resident

@OC Zed
    I recently sold a Bryston BDA-3.14 I had purchased new in January of this year and purchased a Lumin T2.

The Bryston is a really good DAC, very true to source and neutral. For the most part I really liked the way it sounded. If DSD handling is important to you, be sure to read the fine print on how the internal streamer handles it. I ended up buying a Bryston BDP-3 as a steamer to feed the BDA-3.14 so that I could at least feed it DoP. But there are limitations there also. In the end, although I had no complaints on how it sounded, there were too many other things annoying to me. Pops/clicks when switching/stopping/starting some files. Worked with Roon but not as well as the BDP-3 and not Roon-Ready (and no apparent urgency to remedy that) . Very poor native software (Manic Moose) for non-Roon playback. Never could get it to work with native DSD via HDMI input from Oppo 103. Seemingly every configuration change required a full power down and restart to take effect. Tiresome really.

The T2 has been a joy from day one. Is very slightly warmer sounding than the Bryston but that's not to say soft. Detailed, engaging and somehow more musical. Can't comment on its own playback software, as I only use Roon. More money than the BDA-3.14, but compares to the BDA-3 plus BDP-3 in terms of price - but sounds significantly better in my opinion. The only thing about the Lumin I wish it had was a handheld remote. Even if just for volume. Right now I use a preamp so not required, but if I were to want to connect it directly to a power amp I would prefer a remote in hand instead of the slider volume in Roon.

Cheers,
    Robert

OC Zed likes this.
  17. GoldprintAudio

The summation above by WildPhydeaux is basically spot on.

If you need a DAC, that just happens to have a streamer attached to it, the Bryston is a nice choice. If you want a fantastic streamer, and don't care about having DAC input connections, the T2 fits that bill.

OC Zed likes this.
  18. WildPhydeaux

WildPhydeaux Forum Resident

For what it's worth, I was unclear when I mentioned the above in relation to the BDA-3.14. This never occurred when fed a signal from a streamer eg. USB from the BDP-3. It only occurred when using the internal Pi streamer.

Cheers,
    Robert

19. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

Picked up my Moon 280D yesterday. The DAC is very impressive indeed and quite an uplift in CD reproduction. Streaming Deezer HiFi sounds excellent also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.