New system, $1200 budget for the following speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by IRG, Jan 16, 2023.

1. IRG

IRG Forum Resident Thread Starter

TLDR: Buying new speakers for $1200 or less. List of contenders below, details are as follows:

So long story, but I have about $1200 extra to spend on speakers (or less, not more), and I’m setting up a new 2 channel audio system in our main living room ( I have a small room in the basement where my current 2 channel system resides, which will turn into a guitar only related room). Living room has some pluses and minuses, more the later. It’s a bigger room than what I've been using, at 13x19+, but the system must go on the long wall (it’s the only solid wall, the one short wall is a bay window, the other is open to a small dining room. But overall, I would characterize this living room as smallish, but cozy. It has plenty of soft surfaces, couches, rug, plants, etc. A big 65” tv resides on the wall, so this system will be used for TV/Netflix watching too. Lastly, speakers (and components) have to be visually appealing to the wife. When I showed her a pair of LS50 Meta, she quickly said NO. Was Ok with Wharfedale Evo 4.2, and likely the Denton 85 even more. Black and/or dark wood colors are fine. Budget as mentioned is $1200 or less. Not $1500 or $2k, lol. I know this place. And even less would be better. Speakers need to be closer to the wall, than pulled out away from it, dogs, etc. So some of the speakers on my list seem to do OK closer to the wall, like the Elac and B&W. Read enough reviews/videos, and pretty much everything can be contradicted.

Budget does not have to include other items. But likely I’ll be running these speakers with a Yamaha 801 which after reading tons of reviews, seems the best bang for the buck, and the most neutral sounding with most speakers. But I haven’t decided yet, other than I want tone controls this time, my current Musical Fidelity M2Si does not, and I’ve missed it.

Below is a list of my candidates, I think I don’t need to add more, but if there’s an obvious one or two I should check out, let me know. I recently bought a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 225 which are fine, I wanted something a bit warmer or less bright, than the Dynaudio Excite14 I had before, but now I kinda miss the higher energy, brighter sound of the Dyanudio. Which means speakers like the B&W 606/607 series that Andrew Robinson did not like would probably appeal to me.

Sources: for me vinyl, a Pioneer PLX1000 w/AT VM540ML cart and a Moon LP110 V2 phono pre, which I would use over the Yamaha801 phono. I have a Musical Fidelity V90 DAC, probably won’t need it in the future but we’ll see. I want to stream (which I can do with my USB input and an iPad into the DAC) but likely I’ll be adding a BlueSound Node, right now the wife and I use Spotify, if we use it more I’ll upgrade to Qubuz or Tidal. I have CD’s too, but not too concerned about that at the moment. I didn’t mention sub, would rather not have to add one, (I have a big Parts Express 15” sub, but something smaller would be the only way I could add one, not enough space). So good standmount speakers with decent bass are key.

Here are the candidates, note, in some cases there are two prices, if I find better deals at places like Accessories4Less or open box deals at Crutchfield/Audio Advisor, etc, included here. I haven’t really looked used, and wouldn’t be totally opposed to it, but not likely.

B&W 606 V2 Anniversary $999/$849 open

B&W 607 V2 Anniversary $799/$743 open

B&W 706 S2 (white) $1199 (Audio Advisor) (previous gen, but worth it at this price?)
    B&W 707 S2 (black or rosenut) $959 (Audio Advisor) (as above)
    Elac Uni-Fi Reference $1,199/1,115
    Wharfedale Denton 85 $999/$901 open
    Wharfedale Evo 4.2 $1,200/$968 open
    Polk Legend L200 $1499/$999 (AC4L)
    Polk Legend L100 $999/$599 (AC4L)
    Dynaudio Emit 10 $799 ($503, demo AA)
    Dynaudio Emit 20 $1,050
    Revel Concerta2 M16 $1,000 (were on sale recently, not now)
    Focal Vestia? $1,199 Brand new, curious more than anything.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2023
  2. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Sure, that's life. And life is better when stuff we see every day looks nice, hence why I spent $2k on candy apple red washer/dryer instead of some used scratched boring white stuff.
    - You didn't mention size, or where you are putting these...literally on a shelf? Cuz my belief is normal people don't find stands attractive.
    - You seemed to have liked your Dynaudios so I'd suggest trying those again.
    - If you *ever* *might* add a subwoofer, check that whatever receiver you get has an internal highpass. Most 2-channel stuff sadly does not even when they have a "subwoofer" out.
    - Rear ported speakers need a few port diameters of clearance to work properly.
    - Buy from someplace with reasonable return shipping/restocking fees.
    - What do you use Spotify FROM? If iPhone/iPad/Mac absolutely get a receiver with AirPlay. It is SO handy.
    - We found the Wharfedale EVO 4.4 to have a narrow sweet spot. The Diamond 11.2 and Linton Heritage sounded lovely throughout Audio Element's open plan shop.

IRG likes this.
  3. Helom

Helom Forum member

Aereoplain likes this.
  4. IRG

Size of room was 13 x 19’ about, ceiling height low. Speakers will be on stands, which have already (Pangea) though I might try another set.

Spotify is from iPhone/iPad right now, that’s partly why I would get a Bluesound Node. I’ve looked at other streamers but right now, not willing to spend a couple thousand, maybe later. I’ll look into AirPlay some more, a noob when it comes to streaming.

The Evo’s do concern me being more narrow sweet spot. And for now, until I get a different sofa I’m going to be sitting off axis mostly, but that’s something I’ll work on separately but let’s just say for now, something that has a wide sweet spot is more desirable.

Agree on the limited subwoofer integration with most amps, it’s not great. But I can work around it or just not have a sub for now.

5. IRG

Helom likes this.
  6. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

AirPlay: on the iPad/iPhone/Mac on the audio output, you select the AirPlay device (like "DENON AVR-2312Ci") and whatever you are playing, plays out of the receiver. It's like MAGIC!
    For listening throughout a space, I'd say ribbons are generally not the way. Here
    Wharfedale EVO 4.1 Review (Speaker)
    you can see the EVO tweeter definitely narrows.
    Here
    Revel Concerta2 M16 Bookshelf Speaker Measurements and Analysis
    it says "speaker can cover a broad listening area very well." A friend worked at Harman and on a number of Revel projects, they definitely strive to be neutral.
    Oof, if your wife likes piano black, these are barely above your budget and on a crazy sale. We really like our 936
    Focal Chora 826 (Black)

IRG likes this.
  7. ChefBrunch

ChefBrunch Forum Resident

SVS prime towers?

8. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

Frontported Chora 806 Bookshelf’s may work for the OP.
    $600 for the pair
    focal chora 806 at Crutchfield

head_unit likes this.
  9. IRG

I thought about the Chora series at one point, not sure why I didn’t include. I looked at the Dynaudio again, one good review I watched said the newer version fixed all of his issues about this speaker. I hadn’t realized it also comes in walnut, which is a dark wood that would match our decor very well. So that’s definitely in the running now. I think the Evo’s are out.

I hadn’t considered floor standers, nor the SVS speakers. They might be a little too imposing in the room, even if the actual space they take up is similar. But I’ll look closer at both options, thanks!

10. IRG

The new Focal Vestia are front ported too. Are those replacing the Aria line or a new line altogether?

[​IMG]

11. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Ivand, bjlefebvre, guestuser and 2 others like this.
  12. Inger06

Inger06 Forum Resident

I noticed the B&Ws were on your list and specifically, Andrew Robinson’s commentary.

I was very surprised when I listened to the B&W 606 S2 Anniversary speakers. I found them too bright to the point the music sounded slightly artificial to me. However, this could be preference, and I could objectively see them being great fun, lively speakers for those who want that sound characteristic. I’d 100% recommend listening to them in person more so than most speakers you read about. I have not heard the 700 series but read that they are quite different, which could be a good (or bad) thing!

IRG likes this.
  13. Prighello

Prighello Forum Resident

Try to demo the Sonus Faber Lumina IIs if you can. They are very fine sounding speaker. Their porting scheme makes them very easy to place as well.

14. IRG

15. IRG

I wish had more (any) places to audition gear, last place I bought something in person was a 4 hour drive each way, not doing that anymore, a good return policy is more useful to me anyway, trying in your own home is so different than a store you’re not familiar with. But these speakers I’ve heard good things about, always thought they were more expensive? Guess I haven’t looked closely enough to know.

16. IRG

I knew including the B&W’s here would be a bit controversial. There are a number of forumites that are not fans anymore. And yes, that review from AR was not great. But plenty of good reviews too. Actually ASR was another negative review from a technical aspect. I think I’d prefer the tweeter in the 700 series, but they are expensive. And I do think the brand is trying to be a Lifestyle brand, which I’m not fond of. I think I’m preferring the Dynaudio over them in any event, but there are some other good alternatives listed here as well. I’m in no rush currently.

Inger06 likes this.
  17. ngower

ngower Forum Resident

Last edited: Jan 17, 2023
    IRG likes this.
  18. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Don't see Monitor Audio on your list. Silver series. Gold 100 a little higher than budget but not much. I'd choose a speaker you auditioned for sure and wouldn't limit to bookshelf. Any specialty shops near Ithaca?

StriderTB and bever70 like this.
  19. ngower

ngower Forum Resident

You just missed a 20% off PSB sale which had the X2T down to about $1300 plus tax.

20. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

I would never buy new speakers or a new car. The lost in value in the first year is simply too high. More bang for the buck does it for me. I would go active. Smaller speakers and more ways to finetune the speakers to your room.

21. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

Focal Vestia looks like a new line. The Vestia No1 looks like a small upgrade to the Chora 806, in the tweeter. But, not an Aria with the Flax cone (Flax bass - midrange cone).

Vestia No1
    Speaker drivers 61/2" (16.5cm) Slatefiber Midbass 1" (25mm) Al/Mg inverted dome TAM tweeter

Chora 806
    Drivers 61/2" (16.5cm) Slatefiber Midbass 1" (25mm) TNF Al/Mg inverted dome tweeter

ChrisR2060 and head_unit like this.
  22. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

A move from your MF amp to the Yamaha A-S801 sounds like a side-grade to me, not a real upgrade. If you keep the MF for a while, you can put the money you save toward more expensive speakers.

bjlefebvre likes this.
  23. AppleBlossome88

AppleBlossome88 Rock 'n' Roll Ambassador

lobo likes this.
  24. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

not sure, open box or b stock maybe.

25. ngower

ngower Forum Resident

Reading reviews about the company online it seems like it's a mildly sketchy site? newaudiovideo Consumer Verified Ratings & Reviews

Others have pointed out that they are not an authorized dealer, so these would not come with any warranty/product support.

avanti1960 likes this.