New Talk Talk Vinyl from EMI announced?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Yovra, Jan 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AxeD

AxeD Forum Resident

Thanks for posting this!

I'll be on the fence for Sprit of Eden on LP. Used vinyl copies are pretty expensive on ebay these days and often noisy.
    If the hires-version on the DVD is in the same league as the DVD-A this will be a real bargain.

From my perspective it is good that it will be issued on a single LP (and not 2x45): flipping sides would disturb the listening flow from my perspective YMMV

2. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads Thread Starter

:confused:

3. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

The Burning Shed now has this up. No mention about the analog master being used. How many sources so far have that in the description?? Trying to fight the urge but may just have to do it.

4. Yovra

I have seen two uk record sellers who have the same description. The Burning Shed doesn't mention the DVD either. I haven't read anything 'official' yet...

5. Wow, this looks fantastic. Forget about the Roxy set, this is where my money is going.

6. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

Ups sorry i thought it was the rihannas album.

7. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

8. Yovra

I saw that video a few days ago and I almost couldn't believe it was in any way ''oficial'';it looks as if it was madeby a junior employee who got a few mp3's, a little stack of JPEG's and the official text of the press-release. I'm still curious about the involvement of Mark Hollis as ''coordinator'' of the artwork and what this actually means!
    I'm looking out for maybe some attention from the april/may issues of magazines like Mojo or Uncut for some more info or maybe even new facts or interviews, maybe one with the artwork-coördinator?

9. Yovra

You may be wrong here; the first two albums are reissued (as with the Colour of Spring and Spirit of Eden) around April the 2nd. I gather it's the same mastering as the previous issues, but with that now legendary artwork. Only the last two (and i.m.h.o. best) album get the vinyl/dvd-treatment!

By the way; that's a fine current album; "The Sea" is one of my all-time favourite songs!:righton:

10. Yovra

Between the Macca-speculations (;)!) and Beatles what-ifs (again ;)!) it's good to realise that two of the finest albums of the '80s get (in all probability) a very nice vinyl re-release a few weeks from now! Not too much new info, but a nice moment for a little *bump* I guess....

11. rushed again

and Laughing Stock is now conspicuously absent.

12. Yovra

It's from another company (originally Polydor). Laughing stock got a vinyl re-release last year by Ba Da Bing Records with (according to this forum) mixed results (according to me it was very poorly done).

13. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I saw a sealed copy of Spirit of Eden that was on Parlaphone and the back cover listed a 1988 date and printed in the U.K. Now I'm pretty sure this isn't a sealed original but is it any good sound quality wise?

The store also had copies of Laughing Stock from Badabing from 2011. Is it really not good sounding or is it that there have been some variations in pressings? I'm a little confused. I'm trying to decide whether to get one or hold out for a used original or something similar. The cds I have sound very good so it's not like I need it but if I came across a really nice sounding lp I would buy it most likely.

14. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

Laughing Stock on BaDaBing sounds like it was sourced from the CD. There were pressing issues as well. Stick with the CD.

15. Yovra

...and there are quite a lot of grey-market copies around of the Spirit of Eden vinyl. If I were you I'd wait for the release next week; if the mastering and vinyl are good, this could be a fine re-release!

16. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Thanks guys. That was my gut instinct (waiting for the new ones). I decided that it was too easy finding sealed copies and because of the price $23/$20 it wasn't worth the risk. If the new ones are taken from the cd masterings from 1997 then I might as well stick with the cds. I'm not unhappy with my cds, it's just my obsession with owning my favorite albums on vinyl when possible.

17. canonlon

canonlon Forum Resident

Amazon.ca has the Talk Talk LP/DVD-A combos for $21.65 each.

18. williwoods

williwoods Forum Resident

The Ba Da Bing records are very poorly done! I returned mine and got replacement copies that sound just as bad. Lots of surface noise that ruins the subtle nature of this music and then there was lots of distortion on "After The Flood". The Hollis record was not much better.

I am very sad to say they suck....I wanted to give them a chance to redeem themselves but alas the wiser on this board knew not to waste their time.

19. Claude

Claude Senior Member

This makes me wonder if the source material for the LP/DVD is a new transfer from the analogue tapes or the 1997 transfer (kept in hi-rez).

If they had done a new transfer, wouldn't they also use that for the 2012 CD reissues instead of reissuing the 1997 transfer?

A related question: did the SACDs (released in 2003) use the 1997 transfer or a specific transfer made for the format?

20. Peter K

Peter K Forum Resident

I'm just thrilled to get the albums on DVD A!!!! And the Roxy box set in June/July hopefully.

21. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

22. Macman

Macman Senior Member

Great price. I just ordered Spirit of Eden. Thanks.

23. fitzrik

fitzrik Forum Resident

Anyone got these yet?

Picked up both EMI issues on weekend. Sound brilliant. So nice to get a quiet(a few small pops) copy of Eden on vinyl. Excellent pressing and sounds sublime. Haven't done an A/B with the original UK yet. Also picked up a 2nd original the other day. Now have 3 copies! :)

I have not listened to the hi res yet but there is an interesting note on the Eden disc. Not on Colour of Spring. It states that although the music was recorded on analogue tape, the final mixes were through a MItsubishi multitrack digital machine. It sounds like the original and all final mixes/copies of this album have been red book. Can someone else confirm this??

Sounds excellent regardless but makes you wonder what might be possible.

24. rushed again

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.