New Talk Talk Vinyl from EMI announced?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Yovra, Jan 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buckyball

Buckyball Forum Resident

Or rather a mix using a digital multitrack as the source. I don't remember seeing a description of the signal path from the Mistsubishi multi-track to the analog two-track master -- I presume it went through an analog desk.

2. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads Thread Starter

So it's from the same source as the audio on the DVD-A? And the original vinyl release was also sourced from de digitally mixed analogue master tapes? (I'm sorry if these are stupid questions....).
    Thanks

3. I guess it is. But since that 32 track digital recorder is somewhere in the lineage, audio is always going to be limited to 44 kHz, even if the final mix is an analogue tape.

4. AxeD

AxeD Forum Resident

Cursor right, then enter/ok/select (whatever it is called on your remote) works on my DVD players for both DVDs to access the Bonus track

5. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

So is there any advantage/upgrade in buying this reissue? I have the original "Spirit of Eden" CD, so if there is no meaningful improvement in sound I'd be happy to stick with that.

6. Buckyball

Buckyball Forum Resident

I think the technical limitations described are small potatoes next to the actual artistic decisions of the mastering engineer. I wouldn't dismiss the new issue until someone has done some serious comparative listening. (Oh, and of course the included vinyl record is a big potential advantage/upgrade.)

7. Buckyball

Buckyball Forum Resident

Cool. Sounds like TV-free playback is easy enough.

8. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads Thread Starter

I could connect my Denon-player to my tv, but I don't like it to have to put on my TV to listen to music for some reason...
    Both albums sound great on vinyl, the Spirit of Eden has a bit of noise in the beginning of The Rainbow, but for the rest it's nice, quiet vinyl, a very good re-release, I think! Adding the files in High-res on the DVD is a very good idea.
    I won't compare them to my other vinyl versions of them; my Spirit of Eden-copy was quite noisy to start with. And others my have better equipment to make comparisons. But I'm very happy with these two new puppies!:goodie:

9. The Bish

The Bish Forum Resident

Apologies if this is a silly question, but is there anyway I can copy the dvd hi-res files on my computer to a hard drive to listen through my hi-fi (rather than the Tv)?
    Thanks!

10. Claude

Claude Senior Member

A DVD-A can be ripped with the Windows software "DVD-A Explorer" (Google for it, there is no developer website since the tool is illegal)

11. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Anyone from the UK buy these online? Where did you get them from? (Amazon price has jumped up a £5 each for these)

12. AnotherDeadHero

AnotherDeadHero Forum Resident

I got mines from amazon. I had pre-ordered them at £17.99 though. I noticed they had gone back up to £20 plus though. Mind you, I did see them in Fopp yesterday for £27 so maybe £20 ain't that bad.

My copies turned up at work today by the way. I have 2 original's or Spirit of Eden (both quite noisy), an original Colour of Spring and both albums as remastered CD's. Oh, and I have the Spirit of Eden SACD. Fingers crossed that these new issues are definitive.

13. englishbob

Did Amazon send them in proper LP mailers, or a massive box?

14. The Bish

The Bish Forum Resident

A massive box

15. The Bish

The Bish Forum Resident

Thanks. I'm actually on a mac - any thoughts welcome!

16. AnotherDeadHero

AnotherDeadHero Forum Resident

Both mines came in their thin, record mailer style packaging. Y'know the ones that are TWICE as big as normal record mailers. ;-)

17. The Bish

The Bish Forum Resident

I should add I ordered both titles - maybe single orders would be different. They both arrived in perfect condition though.

18. englishbob

They sent my copy of "The Wall" in a massive box too! :)

19. ptaheldaoud

ptaheldaoud Forum Resident

DVD Audio Extractor: http://www.dvdae.com/

You get a free trial as well.

20. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Any chance all the renewed interest in Talk Talk will coax Mr Hollis out of retirement?

21. englishbob

Unless he has mellowed and has a change of heart, I highly doubt it. A solo work might be all he pumps out, but that would be a good enough event in itself.

22. canonlon

canonlon Forum Resident

I received the Spirit of Eden LP/DVD combo today. I've listened to LP side A > IMO the acoustics sound amazing and the mastering is nicely balanced > top notch release. And absolute quiet vinyl > which is exactly what this recording requires. I'd suggest cleaning the LP before listening, since the inner sleeve left tiny bits and static.

23. I gave the Spirit Of Eden LP a listen today, it's fantastic. Just as warm and detailed as the DVD-A and as quiet as vinyl can get. At times I found it hard to believe I was listening to a vinyl source.

24. Beholdentonoone

Beholdentonoone Forum Resident

Ack I snoozed and I lost! Prices have somewhat significantly jumped on Amazon CA for these titles! I wonder if this site sent a lot of traffic their way and they figured with the demand why not jack the prices?

Ahhhh my loss...

25. canonlon

canonlon Forum Resident

I've found prices for new releases often go up (sometimes significantly) on release day. Amazon.ca still has these for about $26 each.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.