New Talk Talk Vinyl from EMI announced?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Yovra, Jan 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HillTopMan

HillTopMan Active Member

Beautiful sound

I too received the Vinyl fromAmazon - £17.93. So not too bad a price. The sound is amazing, must have listened to my CD and MP3 version 100s of times, but especially on The Rainbow there seems to be whole new noises in there. I know That Diamond Mine was influenced by this, and listening to this version, you can see the similarity even more closely.

On headphones and without, the sound is clean, deep, crisp and sounds amazing. Only gripe is a bit of crackle on Desire, but not bad.

I too received a gynormous box from Amazon - quite funny. I have no interest ithe DVD though.

2. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Received my LPs yesterday from Amazon.ca--in a large box (but well-padded). Both LPs sound great. Spirit of Eden in particular. This new pressing will easily replace my noisy original American lp. Colour of Spring sounds at least as good (if not better) than my US Wally. I think it sounded crisper, but I'll need to listen again. I wish someone would do comparisons of these new reissues to minty original UKs.

Both LPs are 95% dead silent and completely flat, so no complaints there. Overall I'm very very happy. Easily worth $21 each.

3. WerewolfLondon

WerewolfLondon Forum Resident

Yeah. These are very good.

I really bought them for the DVDs but the vinyl is excellent.

4. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

I just noticed that Amazon UK has the first Mark Hollis solo CD for £2.99 in case anyone still needs it (only 6 left so hurry!)

I also noticed another album by him called Av 11... never heard of that one. Anyone familiar with it?

5. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Never mind... it looks like AV1 (incorrectly labelled by Amazon UK) is a various artists CD with Piano by Mark Hollis. I already have this track on the Talk Talk - Missing Pieces CD.

6. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

I'll chip in and say that both these albums sound great on the new vinyl. Really quiet and have good sound. The DVD is also a nice bonus, although I still think the vinyl edges it.

It was a shame the my copy of Spirit of Eden was warped. Amazon have been good to me though, they are sending me another copy, and I can return the other one when the new one comes (hopefully better, if its worse it will go back and I'll stick with what I've got)

But I am getting a bit fed up with warped 180g pressing lately, out of the last 4 I've bought two of them have been warped. I thought that was the whole point of having heavier vinyl, to reduce warping?

SergioRZ likes this.
  7. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

On another thread I saw that someone is sick of Spirit of Eden and is going to give his vinyl copy away. I was stunned!

SergioRZ likes this.
  8. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Is there any pattern to the warpage you're experienceing? Same label, shipper??

9. ProfBoz

ProfBoz Forum Resident

As a long-time fan of "Spirit of Eden," which was one of the first four or five CDs I bought back in the late 80s, I've been tentatively following this thread, and wondering if I would pull the trigger on the new vinyl reissue. This morning, before work, I even listened to my lovely vinyl edition of "It's My Life." Then, during my lunch hour, whilst looking through the "T" section at my local indie record store, a buddy of mine, who was with me, emerged from the back of the store and said, "Dude, look what I found in a crate of 80s LPs in the back: a mint promo copy of Depeche Mode's 'Music for the Masses.'" I hightailed it to the crate in question, and there, in front, was a flawless 1988 EMI Manhattan copy of "Spirit of Eden" with a cut-out circle in the right corner, priced at $4.99. Bought it instantly, and played it tonight straight through: magnificent. A serious upgrade from that old first-issue CD that I've had since the final dying days of the Reagan Administration. I honestly can't imagine the new reissue will be a major improvement. Earlier this week, I found sealed copies of the recent 180g Rhino reissues of Prince's "1999" and "Dirty Mind" priced to move at a local BestBuy for $9.99. Bought both on impulse, and compared them to my first-pressing Warner Bros. editions of same: the original Warner's won by a hair. So I sold them for cost to the same good pal above, of the Depeche Mode score (he owned no Prince, and was jealous that I'd snagged the last copies of both). Everyone was happy. But yeah, these 180g reissues really are hit and miss, whereas 80s pressings tend to satisfy in most cases.

10. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Yes, EMI and Amazon! :)

11. phallumontis

phallumontis Active Member

You just described a dream of mine. Nice find!

12. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

Just wanted to add my vote to those touting the quality of these releases. I compared the vinyl and DVD-A on my system last night and they are almost indistinguishable. Both are excellent: top quality. I am very, very pleased with this re-issue. Highly recommended.

13. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Does the U.S. have an earlier release date than Europe/Canada? I ordered my copies from Soundstage Direct and they have a release date at the end of May whereas one can order copies at Amazon, Import cd, etc now.

Colour of Spring is selling for almost ten dollars cheaper on Import CD and it would ship tomorrow. Is there any reason to spend more money and wait four weeks by ordering through Soundstage Direct? Are there shipping issues with with Import CD?

14. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

The US pressing of Spirit of Eden sound great too, but I think it has too much surface noise to make it better or as good as the new reissue. Is your copy quiet?

15. ProfBoz

ProfBoz Forum Resident

As a mouse: no surface noise at all. I'm tempted to buy protective gloves for the next listening session. But those gloves would cost more than the record!

16. ProfBoz

ProfBoz Forum Resident

Just recently I had a dream in which I was in the attic of my home, which was built in 1920 and has had numerous previous owners, and I find a secret door in the cedar closet, behind which I discover 3 peaches crates of mint vinyl albums, including a sealed Beatles Blue Box. I was yanked awake by my three-year-old screaming from his bedroom down the hall. But I did check that cedar closet the next morning. No secret door. Yet.

17. orchidze

orchidze Forum Resident

Received both albums this week ($60 from my local seller), only listened to DVD and side A of "The Colour of Spring" LP. They are perfect sounding. I have UK original CDs for both albums and mint german LP for 1986 and I must say that Mark's voice really shines on DVD. I don't have an expensive turntable, but on my old Dual both pressings (1986 & 2012) sound almost equal. Artwork and pressing quality are top notch (mine are EU pressed).

Do yourself a favour and get them while you can. Yes, the price is quite high, but on Amazon.ca it's acceptable, me thinks.
    Support those people who still care about vinyl and Hi-rez audio. It's important that they're on EMI, not a boutique label such as APO or AF. We really need a wide range of artists and music genres, not only jazz and Pink Floyd in high resolution audio.

18. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

Does anyone think EMI will release Laughing Stock with a DVD like these releases?

19. collective11

collective11 Forum Resident

EMI doesn't own the masters to Laughing Stock. They were off of EMI after Spirit of Eden and went to the Polydor Verve jazz imprint that was brought out for that one, and was reissued by a Brooklyn NY label not long ago, with less-than-stellar results... and no DVD.

20. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

bummer. I would really love to hear a properly mastered Laughing Stock.

21. orchidze

orchidze Forum Resident

Original CD is properly mastered and still in print, but you need to buy european version (different track timing on US version)

22. Davey

Davey NP: Michael A. Muller ~ Mirror Music (2024 LP)

Agreed, the original Polydor/Verve CD of Laughing Stock does sound good. There is also a nice sounding 24-96 rip of the original UK vinyl easily found out there.

23. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I saw a few copies of the Colour of Spring lp on EMI Japan at Amoeba's a few days ago. I almost bought it as a reflex but I have them it on pre-order w/ the dvd-a although the lp by itself was cheaper and I'm not sure I really need the dvd-a. It will be sorted after I hear it. I'm really happy with the Laughing Stock cd that I have (European version) but I'd love to have it on vinyl but not the current version that is available. I will wait. It's not a must-have at all cost but it would be nice.

24. AxeD

AxeD Forum Resident

I'm not so crazy about the vinyl quality My Spirit of Eden (pre-order from amazon.de in Februarary) came with a couple of scratches which are audible even afer a few cleanings.The sound is very good thouh and a good alternative to getting burned on obtaining original cvopies from ebay which have often more background noise and which are often more expensive than this re-issue.
    So, recommended from my perspective & a no brainer if you want to get a good sounding vinyl version for a reasonable price.

25. Anyone here own the Ba Da Bing vinyl LPs of Laughing Stock and Mark Hollis. If so, am wondering about the mastering and vinyl quality.

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.