New Teenage Fanclub album March 21

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dlemaudit, Nov 27, 2020.

1. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident Thread Starter

New album out in march .
    if i go by the new song video , it will be very much more of the same vibes as last record , unfortunately for me i would say ;
    That song is pleasant but does not grab me despite the obvious West Coast influence , in the solos in particular .
    And no more Gerry Love .
    i am still crossing fingers

Teenage Fanclub

2. dlemaudit

bumping , i thought there were some fans here

jammincrowe likes this.
  3. mrdardy

mrdardy Forum Resident

There certainly are some fans. What happened with Love? Is he just retired or was there some falling out?

4. low_line

low_line lukewarm water

I'm bound to say this elicits a bit of a 'Partridge' shrug from me, since Gerry is responsible for writing almost all my favourite Fannies tracks. He's also far-and-away my favourite Fannies vocalist.

CaptainFeedback1 and rydersdad like this.
  5. Jarra Lad

Jarra Lad Forum Resident

I'm a fan so always look forward to a new album from them, but was surprised to read on another thread What New Releases Are You Looking Forward To In 2021 that new member Euros Childs has not written anything on the record. I find the new single underwhelming, but will certainly give the album a chance as surely there'll be some rewards.

6. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

IIRC, he just didn't want to tour anymore. Don't believe there's bad blood.

Jarra Lad likes this.
  7. Patanoia

Patanoia Third Ear Centre

This interview with the Scotsman gives his side of the story.

Guy E, DocShipe and dlemaudit like this.
  8. dlemaudit

Jarra Lad likes this.
  9. mrdardy

mrdardy Forum Resident

What is the word on Lightships? Worth tracking down?

CaptainFeedback1 likes this.
  10. dlemaudit

Personally, did not like it . More of the ethereal sound Gerry developed on the last TFC albums but without hooks or melody , even his vocals are very subdued .

Man at C&A likes this.
  11. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

I'm thoroughly unimpressed with their Love-less music thus far. OK, we're only 2 songs in but they feel utterly characterless - a poor impersonation of themselves. In particular, Francis MacDonald's drumming is really leaden and unimaginative - he was always a poor third to O'Hare and Quinn but Love's bass work clearly made him sound passable. The arrival of Euros Childs felt like the bright side but if he's not writing, well, I'm even less interested than I was.

12. Jarra Lad

Jarra Lad Forum Resident

Noticed Amazon UK now has the release date as 30th April 2021. I expect this is a result of manufacturing delays due to the pandemic.

13. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

Just found this languishing on one of my hard drives, so decided to share...

14. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I still have my tape of this!

bleachershane likes this.
  15. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

For a time, I was quite obsessive about recording concerts and live appearances from radio and TV shows, whether or not I liked the artists and bands, I've kept the cassettes and digitised a tiny (I mean TINY) amount of them a few years back, decided to share some of these for any fans out there that might not have heard this stuff

(So far I've uploaded some recordings of Bis, Drugstore, Teenage Fanclub, 3 Colours Red, The Wedding Present, The Bluetones, will hopefully get some more up over the weekend)

Man at C&A, Pop_Zeus and longdist01 like this.
  16. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Norman Blake is far and away my favourite Teenage Fanclub singer and songwriter. As much I loved Gerry I will still be buying this new album.

17. Jake Analog

Jake Analog Forum Resident

Me too. Some of their CDs have been really compressed though. Hopefully this one is better, or at least on vinyl it should be better.

18. jricc

jricc Senior Member

Looking forward to this!

19. Always in for the Fannies. There is always something to like on a new album.

Not sure how I missed seeing them during their Prime days. Love them.

20. dlemaudit

another new song , nothing groundbreaking , pleasant enough but pedestrian

Rockford & Roll and Man at C&A like this.
  21. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

I find the new songs to be ok, nothing more, I thought euro child might be an exciting addition to the group and a clever choice to replace Love, I was a big “Gorky” fan but so far I’m not impressed at all.

Another thing that bugs me is the sound, unfortunately the new songs share similar sonic traits with “Home” , smudgy, lo-fi kind of sounding, an MP3 sound.

I’m not sure if the songs were recorded and mixed like that on purpose but “Home” was a terrible sounding record, there was no definition to any of the instruments, flat soundstage, no depth, Everything sounds bunched together and poorly mixed, Sadly the new songs sound very similar.

I will buy the new record as I’m a longtime fan but for the first time I’m actually not excited about a new fanny release.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
  22. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

“Home” on vinyl actually sounds worse than the digital files! flat and compressed with no dynamic range at all, the new songs sound the same.

23. andy obrien

andy obrien Forum Resident

If ever there was a band that lost their 'Mojo' its this lot. I remember the sheer rush of seeing them play back in the 90s - jumping around in the moshpit to 'Starsign'. The awesome coda to 'The Concept'. The last few records have been so uninspiring. We keep on hoping they'll regain some of their former spark, but this new release seems to be more of the same. My mates still buy and enjoy their releases but I just can't find anything to get excited about nowadays. Obviously Im glad they are still making new music and touring, but Ill pass. Again.

24. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

This is looking like the first Teenage Fanclub album I won't be buying. Incredibly bland and lifeless.

smiley69 and CaptainFeedback1 like this.
  25. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Foking hell... we are now at a point where a band I didn't follow especially close has suddenly been through various line-up changes and amassed quite an impressive catalogue.

But then again.... "Bandwagonesque" has been 30 years ago. Unbelievable. Just read the interview in the new MOJO. Interesting. What albums would you recommend after "Bandwagonesque"? Back then I also had "A Catholic Education" but after "Bandwagonesque" I lost touch....I mean... I was aware that albums like "Howdy!" came out but I have never heard them.

Man at C&A likes this.