New to 5.1, can't get a DVD with DTS Digital Surround to play in 5.1 rather than stereo*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Geordiepete, May 25, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Con

Con Member

Did you get your DTS 5.1 HD to work on the Sony , did you see my other post ?

Geordiepete likes this.
  2. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip. Just seen this now. So I need to turn of DSD in the settings for my Sony multichannel receiver or for my Sony Playstation 4 Pro, which is what plays the disc? All other DVDs and blu-rays I have with 5.1 audio work, and this problem was a DVD authoring problem (a problem in production), so th eguy who did the authoring ended up sending me the digital file, which I now use to hear this album in 5.1. Still, I didn't know my AVR or the PS4 Pro had a setting to turn off DSD. I know they can handle 24/192 when I stream it from my MacBook Pro to the PS4 Pro to the speakers via the Sony AVR.

3. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

What Hi-Fi is among the worst review sites IMO. So many times I've seen errors in their reviews. Total garbage IMO. Panasonic players never had SACD playback as far as I recall. I wish Panasonic did put out a universal player as they make great Blu-ray players.

4. C.Ludwig

C.Ludwig Well-Known Member

What’s typical today is choice to output DSD or PCM from player to receiver. One reason to output PCM is it permits the receiver to manage multi-channel bass.

Geordiepete and Bill Mac like this.
  5. Con

Con Member

I'm using a Sony blu-ray player along with my Sony receiver (same as yours I think) the option is there on the on the Blu-ray player to turn off DSD , you could try A. F.D on your remote, not too sure how to turn off DSD on the receiver. It's probably on your Blu-ray player, try Audio settings on your DVD or Blu-ray player, and the DSD output mode , hope this helps, I'm no expert by the way

6. Con

Con Member

By the way DTS hd 5.1 won't show up on the receiver on till I press play

7. Geordiepete

What is A. F. D.?

8. Con

Con Member

Audio format direct , might be on your remote, it's for switching between stereo , multi stereo, and A.F.D auto. I think you need it for 5.1 in A.F.D auto

9. Geordiepete

OK, thank you. On mine, it's called Pure Direct. Anyway, this has all been discussed in the thread!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.