New Tom Petty album dropping "Wildflowers - All the Rest"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian Gupton, Jun 2, 2015.

1. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

2. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Bbanderic, are you saying if I buy the 5cd set, the 5th exclusive cd, "Finding Wildflowers, 16 alternate versions recorded in the studio will be available as a free download in 96/24 hi-rez? Also free downloads of Wildflowers , All the Rest, Live Wildflowers, and Home Recordings?
    Has anyone received this 5cd super deluxe edition set yet? Post some reviews when someone does, it woukd be welcome!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    OptimisticGoat likes this.
  3. Peja11

Peja11 PC is Neither

@David P. Hill Yes all five discs are included in downloads from TomPetty.com and Warner store. Not sure about Indie outlets.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. Roman Potato Chip

Roman Potato Chip Forum Resident

Ha! I like Lynne, I just don't think his production works in the context of that album. I think Full Moon Fever is one of Petty's very best. Try again.

Wildflowers is great for the reasons that Into the Great Wide Open is not if you want me to talk about that album. Rick Rubin stripped everything back, and he wasn't brickwalling quite to the degree that his albums were totally unlistenable yet. Even the sections with strings play better and more quiet than the stuff on Great Wide Open. Great songwriting, a nearly flawless recording, song and production wise.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    OptimisticGoat and Larsen like this.
  5. depp91

depp91 Forum Resident

Here's a quote from a very short review in German:

"Die Home Recordings auf CD drei sind nichts für Casual Fans – oder doch? Wie Tom Petty ganz alleine am Piano „Wake up Time“ ächzt – ganz großer Pop."
    "The home recordings on CD #3 are not for the casual fan - or are they? Tom petty moaning "Wake Up Time" alone on the piano - that's great pop music."

Tom Petty: Wildflowers & all the Rest | Albumreview - kulturnews.de

Another review I found:
    https://riffmagazine.com/album-reviews/tom-petty-wildflowers-and-all-the-rest/

livin´thing68, FJFP and windfall like this.
  6. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

7. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

@McCool @ryan de topanga

Do you any if you know when the digital download deluxe will be available? Midnight maybe?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

Through my digital communication with Single Music who will be handling the digital media content associated with these collections, the full digital media content inherent to the particular collection a given consumer purchases should be available on "date of release" meaning tomorrow [2020-10-16]. Per past experience, the main-stream third party digital content streaming providers usually have it earlier than anyone else.

9. Rough&Rowdy

Rough&Rowdy Forum Resident

I'm not back to work until Monday so I have tomorrow and the weekend to sit back and enjoy the hi-res downloads. I can't wait :love:

10. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

The 4 CD version is now "out there" online if anyone can't wait until tomorrow to hear it

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Larsen

Larsen Forum Resident

The outtro on "Something Could Happen": Is it the same tone as on the intro on "Walls (Circus)" the video version?

FJFP likes this.
  12. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

The plot thickens...

Also, some kind soul has added musician credits for 'All the Rest' on Discogs. Confirms that the 3 non-WF sessions tracks are of a separate entity, but if they work in context, and Tom put them there, who am I to argue. Stan drums on Something Could Happen!

Climb That Hill Blues
    Lead Vocals, Guitar – Tom Petty
    Producer, Recorded By, Mixed By – Tom Petty

Harry Green
    Lead Vocals, Harmony Vocals, Guitar, Harmonica – Tom Petty
    Mixed By – Ryan Ulyate
    Producer, Recorded By – Ryan Ulyate, Tom Petty

Somewhere Under Heaven
    Engineer – Brian Scheuble
    Guitar, Organ, Bass Guitar, Drums – Mike Campbell
    Lead Vocals – tom petty
    Mixed By – Ryan Ulyate

Tom Petty - Wildflowers & All The Rest

13. JerseyPride

JerseyPride Forum Resident

14. ChiefIlliniwek15

ChiefIlliniwek15 Active Member

Has anybody listened "Finding Wildflowers" yet? Still trying to decide between 7 LP and 9 LP

15. Larsen

Larsen Forum Resident

This kind soul *blushing* added it yesterday. It is taken from the third disc inner sleeve. I had a six hour Pettyfest last night.

Both "Climb That Hill Blues" and "Harry Green" are solo demos. I haven't compared "Somewhere Under Heaven" to the previously released digital single release.

EDIT: "Harry Green" includes 2014 studio overdubs made at Shoreline Recorders.

16. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Since some have already received their copies, has anyone posted yet where all the live tracks come from?

17. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Will this be the thread that we discuss the sound and such or is there to be a new one started?

In the meantime, just opened my 9 LP set that just arrived and all of the records look and are pressed great. Lined inner sleeves this time unlike the American Treasure box (but always an easy fix). The book looks awesome but have only glanced at it. Outside box was in perfect shape. Can't wait to start listening later! What an awesome box set this is, and if a big fan of Tom's music and vinyl the 9 LP version was an easy choice, at least for my family especially after finally getting it and seeing it in person.

jumpinjulian and Larsen like this.
  18. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

Thank you very much for that! Would you say the 3 other tracks noted hang together well with the other material?

scotti likes this.
  19. Larsen

Larsen Forum Resident

I dare say yes, from my point of view, whatever that's worth. The full-fledged recording definately sounding most Wildflower-era-y(!), but thematically the home recordings adds to the picture. The sound quality of those sparse recordings, of course, deviates from the rest of the material, but it blends very well.

FJFP and scotti like this.
  20. Larsen

Larsen Forum Resident

This is the right place! Please share your thoughts when the time comes.

scotti likes this.
  21. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I forgot to mention that the book in my set slid out easily with no issues. It was mentioned yesterday that some had it slightly stuck at the bottom due to maybe some glue residue. Before we hit our sweet spot later for this, will be doing a major hang on the Bob Marley caboose to get in the proper mood if you will.

22. depp91

depp91 Forum Resident

A kind person on Instagram confirmed these dates of the live recordings:

You Don’t Know How It Feels - 2002 Boston, Ma

Honey Bee - 1995 Toronto, ON

To Find A Friend - 2000 Mountainview, CA

Walls - 1997 San Francisco, CA

Crawling Back To You - 2017 New York, NY

Cabin Down Below - 2008 Mansfield, MA

Drivin Down To Georgia - 2010 Atlanta Ga

House in the Woods - 2013 New York, NY

Girl On LSD - 2008 Philadelphia, PA

Time To Move On - 2002 St. Louis, MO

Wake Up Time - 2003 Chicago, IL

It’s Good To Be King - 1997 San Francisco, CA

You Wreck Me - 2014 Boston, Ma

Wildflowers - 2005 Grand Rapids, MI

23. veon

veon Forum Resident

Nice! I was at that Grand Rapids show- the newly reunited Black Crowes were the opener.

budwhite, jammincrowe and Python like this.
  24. Yankeefan01

Yankeefan01 Forum Resident

Looks to me reading posts of people who have received there's already, they look to be vinyl versions.
    Has anybody received a 5 cd set yet? If so, can you lemme know if it's the packaging is the same size as the American Treasure release?

25. fitzchris72

fitzchris72 Forum Resident

Hey! I think that was me that sent you that info. Small world.

I received the 9LP box yesterday afternoon. Packaging is superb. The book is well done and a good balance of pictures, editorials, recording info, etc.

I’m currently on LP 4 which is the home demos. The “Wildflowers” as we all know it sounds AMAZING. Very pleased with it. The “all the rest” portion is great as well. Actually listened to it 3 times last night. Really enjoyed these songs and they sound great as well.

The home demos is where I am now and most of them sound really good. There were a couple of spots “Leave Virginia Alone” and “Confusion Wheel” where there is some mild distortion present but I believe it’s from the recording and inherent in the tapes and not a pressing or mastering issue.
    I can’t begin to say how happy I am with this purchase. If you’re a Petty fan at all this is a tremendous treasure trove of aural goodness. Buy with confidence.