New Tom Petty album dropping "Wildflowers - All the Rest"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian Gupton, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Lecords

Lecords Forum Resident

Re: Neil Young and Wildflowers

I always thought "You Don't Know How It Feels" took its boom-boom-thwack drumbeat directly from "Out on the Weekend."

2. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

According to Rick Rubin, they were going for a Steve Miller/Joker beat, at his suggestion.

3. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

The difference in some of the demos and the finished versions reflect this to me. Truly love both. And the songs that didn’t make it are so cool. The live stuff I reallly like. The sound on the 4 cd set is also stellar

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

Anyone else been waking up, the last month or so, with various Wildflowers earworms rolling around?

Asking for a friend....

5. Peja11

Peja11 PC is Neither

Just one. The acoustic guitar and harmonica intro to "There Goes Angela (Dream Away)".

Greenalishi, Al Gator and Paul J like this.
  6. xTraPlaylists

xTraPlaylists I bring order to chaos.

I didn’t catch “Somewhere Under Heaven” when it got released in 2015, but it invaded my ear in 2020 and stayed there for a solid 48 hours.

7. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

Don't get me started. Leave Virginia Alone is the stickiest for me and I've found it going around my head as I'm trying to get to sleep. (She's not like you and me.) But Confusion Wheel, Somewhere Under Heaven, and Hung Up and Overdue have all taken their turns. All the Rest is a heck of a batch of songs, not a weak one on it.

8. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Confusion Wheel, just couldn’t get passed this on the demos cd. So f in good. Son House good

9. FrankieFontaine

FrankieFontaine "Just An Hippie Dream"

Nice limited edition Wildflowers prints now up in the Petty online store!

10. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Black Friday Discount Now Available At The Official Tom Petty Shop
    Tom Petty | Official Merchandise
    NOV 27, 2020

In an effort to respond to demands and requests we want to let you know a few things about changes in our store this holiday season. Because we love reading your questions, joys and frustrations.
    1. Our 3LP and 9LP Wildflowers & All The Rest editions are back in stock.
    2. With the rare exception of collaborations with other artists at other companies all of our products are made in America as Tom wished to reinvest in America with any of his enterprises if at all possible. This means the t-shirts carry a slightly higher price. And some of our items have higher prices than other artists stores that produce products overseas.
    3. Limited editions are really limited to the run they announce with. This protects our loyal fans and collectors. We are also making an effort going forward to make sure there are some lower priced collectibles in store from time to time.
    4. We will occasionally remove and refund items that do not meet our standards for customer service. Meaning we strive to deliver a high quality good that arrives relatively when it was supposed too. With COVID this will happen. (Who ordered the sweatpants?)
    5. Fans have requested items and we have attempted to meet your requests with Wildflowers and All The Rest prints from Blaze Brooks, puzzles, and other fun inexpensive flair like stickers, patches and temp tattoos for people who want to go deeper into the store or buy stocking stuffers.
    6. You will see some special Wildflowers collaborations this year with artists in small businesses we really like: Trek Light gear blankets, Talamh candles and some custom ornaments by Taco Explosions via her Etsy store. The pricing of these items reflects the limited quantity and the depth of bespoke creativity these small businesses invested in these items
    7. This weekend through Monday, November 20th use code: WILDFLOWERS for 20% off in the store excluding media.

We hope you guys like these sweet things we've made to celebrate Wildflowers & All the Rest and the legacy of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.
    The Petty Family

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  11. Peja11

Peja11 PC is Neither

@McCool Hopefully the 20% offer is through November 30th.

"7. This weekend through Monday, November 20th use code: WILDFLOWERS for 20% off in the store excluding media."

Matthew Tate and Electric Sydney like this.
  12. richard wilberforce

richard wilberforce Forum Resident

I thought the 5CD box set was limited Edition? But now they are printing more? Seems to go against rule 3 above....

Doesn't worry me, I don't buy for profit, but just interested

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. Peja11

Peja11 PC is Neither

It's limited to how many they can sell.

14. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

I would wager that all these editions are limited. With the possible exception of the 2-CD set, I'd be shocked if they make more after this holiday season.

Matthew Tate and Big Blue like this.
  15. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I finally got a chance to open my 3-LP set and give it a spin. It sounds exactly as I had hoped. I am 100% satisfied with this for the original album alone. I haven’t even dug into the third LP yet.

I never hated how the original CD sounded, but while re-familiarizing myself with how analog can sound over the course of the past several years, I have imagined what a treatment like this could do for this album. I’m not disappointed.

16. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Maybe. I did end up with two copies of the 3-LP, from two different sellers, simply because I wanted to make sure I didn’t somehow get screwed out of it, and I love this album enough to own duplicates, anyway.

I know the 3-LP isn’t technically being sold as “limited edition” or anything, but most vinyl pressings are inherently kind of limited. Also, you have the issue of later generations of stampers potentially not being as good, etc. I’m thrilled to have grabbed two of them right away.

17. Leolo

Leolo Well-Known Member

Random lyric appreciation: These two words are so simple, brilliant and perfect.

You were supposed to be
    The friend that I needed when I was down and now

You want to make it hard

Billy_Sunday and Hep Alien like this.
  18. Peja11

Peja11 PC is Neither

Discount does not apply to media.

19. Peja11

Peja11 PC is Neither

Anyone have any knowledge of two songs played live at the Vic in Chicago in early 2000's. "My new Guitar and " and "Next Time you See Memphis". Any chance they were from the Wildflowers era?

Hep Alien, jeremylr and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. Rainy Taxi

Rainy Taxi The Art of Almost

Those two, along with "Two Men Talking," "Melinda" and "Black Leather Woman," were all new songs the band debuted live in 2003. All fantastic songs. Ironically, none of them ever made it onto a proper studio album.

21. Peja11

Peja11 PC is Neither

They have trickled out a bit. All three were live on the PBS "Soundstage" DVD. Melinda was on the "Playback" box set and "Live Anthology" set. "Two Men Talking" was included in the "Best of Everything" box. "My New Guitar" & "Next Time You See Memphis" are MIA except possibly booted.

I found this. Interesting. Albums That Should Exist: Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - Next Time You See Memphis - Various Songs (2003-2010)

Hep Alien, jeremylr and SOONERFAN like this.
  22. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

23. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

24. depp91

depp91 Forum Resident

MELINDA appeared on the Soundstage DVD / Blu-ray as well as on The Live Anthology in different live performances. (It's not on Playback.)
    TWO MEN TALKING is also on the Soundstage video and a studio take was released on AN AMERICAN TREASURE.
    BLACK LEATHER WOMAN is also on the Soundstage DVD / Blu-ray.
    MY NEW GUITAR / NEXT TIME YOU SEE MEMPHIS are only available as audience recordings from the Vic Theatre, Chicago residency in 2003.

Hep Alien, Peja11 and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Melinda is not on my copy of Playback. But it is on my copy of Live Anthology...

Peja11 and Matthew Tate like this.