New Tom Petty album dropping "Wildflowers - All the Rest"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian Gupton, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

Thanks for this. Damn, I hope the multichannel mix becomes available in more formats. I wish it was in the Wildflowers box I bought. But I’ll get it in the future if I can.

jumpinjulian likes this.
  2. Hooodo Man

Hooodo Man Forum Resident

I'm fairly certain somewhere in the thread Ryan mentioned that the ATMOS was done for the box set but he was not sure when it would get released. So I belive its 'in the can'

KinkySmallFace1991 and Mooserfan like this.
  3. HonestDenver

HonestDenver Forum Resident

Been listening this abut this weekend. Got the 3 LP set for 29 bucks. While it’s crystal clear and concise .. it’s missing the low end to my ears.. one of the things I love about the original was the deep low end.. this is almost non existent. Anyone else think the same?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. smitquest

smitquest Forum Resident

yes, and i can't understand it. i believe some of the folks involved in the project have commented in this thread, but i've not seen any explanation for this. they removed most of the low-end from the album - i tried to get into it, but no dice - i'm sticking with the original release.

smutquest

5. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

It’s strange because the 2016 version has lots of low end.

jumpinjulian and HonestDenver like this.
  6. ryan de topanga

ryan de topanga Forum Resident

Just noticed you guys are still talking about this! BTW, We didn't remove any low end. I like low end. Check your system. The original Wildflowers album on the All The Rest compilation was the same mastering as the 2016 vinyl.

TwoAmused, I'm glad you got the Atmos mix through Apple TV. You are on the "bleeding edge". The good news with Atmos is that if you want to go for it, you can get a full blown system and hear it the way I mixed it.

Mooserfan, The multichannel mix is available on ONE format. Atmos. That is what the industry has settled on, especially now that Apple have adopted it. It will still fold down to 5.1 or 7.1, (or headphones, for that matter). I strongly suggest that if you are into Immersive Music you get on board with Atmos. It's where all the content is going...

Bananas&blow, nosticker, Ere and 12 others like this.
  7. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

Sorry Ryan, my question was meant to be, is the multichannel mix going to always be an Apple Music and/or streaming exclusive? Iirc you posted that it will eventually be available through other sources but I don’t know if that’s still the case or what the timetable might be. Thanks!!

8. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

I find side one of the LP set to be missing the low end significantly compared to the Pono hi res mastering. Disappointing after waiting so long! I wonder if the albums box set version is better? The metal stampers they used for that were lost so they had to remaster it again when they went to do the All The Rest project.

9. ryan de topanga

ryan de topanga Forum Resident

At this point Wildflowers and All The Rest is available for streaming in Atmos on Apple Music, Tidal Hi-Fi and Amazon Music HD. There is no physical Blu-Ray version, although I'd like to see that in future "deluxe" releases.

10. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

Ok. I don’t want another streaming service but I would certainly download files or buy a Blu-Ray release, so I’ll keep my fingers crossed! I appreciate your work, thank you.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. windfall

windfall Senior Member

The problem as I see it with streaming Atmos at the moment is that the ecosystem is a mess. You cannot stream from an iPhone to a hifi system without some kind of dongle hanging off your phone, apparently. And it requires a level of hifi expertise that is beyond the casual listener to get the "real" Atmos experience over streaming, as well as further investment in hardware. I have Amazon Music HD but again it seems the only device that will stream the Atmos mix of Wildflowers is their Studio Speaker... which I think is fine as an all-in-one-box unit to sit on a kitchen bench but is by no stretch of the imagination hifi, and is giving a "fake" version of the Atmos mix.

In the early days of hi rez (I was on board from the beginning with SACD and DVD-A; the other day I talked to someone who works in a hifi store and they had no idea what those terms refer to), it was straightforward. Y0u had to invest in the hardware, and buy the discs, but it all worked. Streaming in MP3 or even at CD resolution is relatively straightforward but the ecosystem is not yet in place for hirez and multichannel streaming. But Apple, Amazon and the like are all trying to convince us with "Spatial Audio" this and "Atmos" that...

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
  12. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

I’d happily pay for a physical version of a multichannel Wildflowers. I’ve never downloaded multichannel music but I suppose the files can be put on a Usb and plugged into my Oppo, so I wouldn’t mind that option either. Ryan isn’t dismissing these possibilities but I can’t imagine it would be anytime soon that another deluxe version will be on the table, assuming there’s a long list of other projects to be taken on.

13. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Yes, me too. Given that it is now available in multichannel to streaming subscribers, the obvious route to physical release would be as a part of a Blu-Ray package of the Wildflowers documentary. But that would be some way off since it it still at the film festival stage of distribution, I think.

And, yes, fool me once, whatever, I don't care, I would gladly pay another £10 or so for a superdeluxe documentary with the multichannel album as an extra. So I can hear the Atmos mix without having to buy more streaming hardware.

Mooserfan and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. smitquest

smitquest Forum Resident

"Just noticed you guys are still talking about this! BTW, We didn't remove any low end. I like low end. Check your system. The original Wildflowers album on the All The Rest compilation was the same mastering as the 2016 vinyl." - ryan de topanga

wow - thanks for replying, ryan!

no, it makes sense that nobody would have removed any low-end, i just wish someone could have ADDED whatever was added to the original release! my system is the same as average joe on the street's system - typical manufacturer installed cd player in the car, and a standard issue discman (with nice bose headphones). i'm happy if this sounds good on a high end set-up, but it's really lacking for the "average listeners" (the know, the ones who keep buying less and less music 'stuff').

thanks!

smitquest

15. HonestDenver

Agreed and glad someone else is experiencing this. My system is not the problem as other records have plenty of appropriate low end. Wildflowers is noticeably flat and the bass is tucked into the rest of the music.. It sounds nothing like the original CD I have. You Don't Know How it Feels should be so much heavy low end... and its like the drum is there, but no bass. It's like the mids and highs were brought out and the bass just didn't get added in or something. It's a very bright sounding record.

16. Maybe those other records have too much low end and you just like lots of low end. Which albums/pressings? System info?

17. HonestDenver

Yep.. all 500 plus of my vinyl collection has too much low end, and the original wildflowers CD played on the same system must also have too much low end.. It's everything else not the Wildflowers vinyl. It couldn't be.

18. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Has anyone heard about when the rest of us who didn't go to SXSW can watch the documentary Somewhere You Feel Free?

19. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

AFAIK it's currently being shopped to distributors with an eye towards wide release at some point in the future. Given that no official announcement has been made as of this date, there has been no information made public regarding release date or format. That said 'Somewhere You Feel Free" is also doing the festival rounds at the moment and certain festivals due to the pandemic are allowing consumers to view content digitally for a nominal fee. So keep your eyes peeled when opportunities present themselves to view "Somewhere You Feel Free". It really is worth it!

20. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Thanks for the update.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Mok

Mok Has Potential

For folks still following, there's a great interview with Ryan Ulyate in the latest Tape Op magazine, where he talks about working on the Petty archival releases. Worth searching out, even if you're not an engineer-type. I can post here if it's cool. Tape Op is a free-by-subscription magazine in the US and is ad-supported.

22. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow I never got over it, I got used to it

Yes please! :goodie:

Mok likes this.
  23. ex_mixer

ex_mixer Senior Member

Thanks for the heads up! Here's the interview link.

Ryan Ulyate: Digging for Gems

Good stuff.

Ere, LonesomeDayBlues, fpas and 19 others like this.
  24. Mok

Mok Has Potential

I didn’t even realize they put their articles up on their site - was going to scan the magazine…

thanks for the link!

NicoRock, WhatDoIKnow and ex_mixer like this.
  25. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow I never got over it, I got used to it

Thanks for thinking about scanning the article @Mok, very kind of you!
    And thank you @ex_mixer for the link, it was am enjoyable and informative read.

Mok and ex_mixer like this.