New Tom Petty album dropping "Wildflowers - All the Rest"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian Gupton, Jun 2, 2015.

1. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

@McCool Thank you, thank you, thank you! I'm so excited that this has dropped and I'm hoping to play it tonight to honor Tom. I've got a Guild acoustic 12 like the one he used for many, many years onstage coming in as well, so it's going to be a very Petty-filled next two days.

I've saved all your custom album art, too. This is incredible!

2. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

Really thrilled to be going to see the Wildflowers movie tonight. This is the first time sitting in a theater in just about two years. I figured this was an apt occasion to break that dreadful streak.

This is going to be a special presentation and can't wait.

3. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

As sequenced by McCool, I think a case could be made that this would have been the greatest studio rock album of all time. Maybe if Lifehouse had been completed, that could’ve compared. I think song for song it’s better than the White Album. And I’m a Beatlemaniac.

Bonddm, windfall, FJFP and 3 others like this.
  4. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Saw the movie. Really enjoyed it and made me appreciate this album even more than before.

5. Arete411

Arete411 Forum Resident

I saw the movie last night and enjoyed every second. I am looking forward to watching it and re-watching it when it comes to YouTube Originals.

The documentary shows a very short snippet of Tom playing a cover I haven’t heard before. I think he and the band were covering the song by The Byrds, The World Turns All Around Her, and it might have been footage from the Dogs With Wings tour. Does anyone have a link to this live performance?

6. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

I think you mean “It Won’t Be Wrong”?

jeremylr and Arete411 like this.
  7. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

TP is one of my favorite artists of all time and Wildflowers is one of my favorite records of all time, but I still haven't gotten to listen to the 9LP set. This is a primary reason why I am buying less large box sets these days. This is one of my favorites but I still haven't had the time to get into it! If I can't get into this how will I ever get into anything I like less? I really gotta carve out a day to listen to this but I never have the house to myself to crank it up now that my wife works from home and we have a 2 year old running around.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
  8. Arete411

Arete411 Forum Resident

I, um, could be wrong but I’m fairly certain it was not It Won’t Be Wrong—unless, of course, you’ve seen the film and can state that definitively, in which case, same question: is there a recording of this performance?

9. 56strat

56strat Forum Resident

It was "It Won't Be Wrong" and yes there is a recording of the band playing it live. Audience tape, if I recall.

jeremylr and Arete411 like this.
  10. tededfred

tededfred Forum Resident

Any new complete or semi complete takes in the movie? Anything live?

11. Alright4now

Alright4now Forum Resident

I feel you. However, it is streaming on all the streaming places. You don't have to buy it.

KinkySmallFace1991 likes this.
  12. Rainy Taxi

Rainy Taxi The Art of Almost

Have to say, this is a killer tracklist. I tried it out yesterday and was knocked out with how amazing it flowed. Plus, I think it's truer to the vision of what the original Wildflowers double album would've been. I like the three tracks TP audibled to in 2014 ("Harry Green," "Climb that Hill Blues" and "Somewhere Under Heaven"), but they don't feel as of a piece with the album as it was actually conceived at the time. "Lonesome Dave," 13 Days" and "Girl on LSD" were the actual contenders.

The only change I made to your order is swapping "California" with "A Higher Place," ("California" just feels like a disc 2 track to me, and it leads into "Climb that Hill" better), a change I saw only after I had made it that you had suggested as a possibility as well. I had come up with it independently, so there must be something to it! I've also gotten accustomed to how "Something Could Happen" rolls into "Leave Virginia Alone," so I'm considering keeping that one-two punch in tact. But this is going to be my go-to order for listening to Wildflowers as a double album.

Disc 1
    1. Wildflowers
    2. You Don't Know How it Feels
    3. Time to Move On
    4. Hope You Never
    5. Honey Bee
    6. Only a Broken Heart
    7. Don't Fade on Me
    8. Lonesome Dave
    9. To Find a Friend
    10. A Higher Place
    11. Cabin Down Below
    12. It's Good to Be King
    13. Hung Up and Overdue

Disc 2
    1. You Wreck Me
    2. Something Could Happen
    3. Leave Virginia Alone
    4. Hard on Me
    5. 13 Days
    6. California
    7. Climb That Hill
    8. Confusion Wheel
    9. House in the Woods
    10. Crawling Back to You
    11. Wake Up Time
    Bonus: Girl on LSD

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    Hep Alien, JayB, Billy_Sunday and 3 others like this.
  13. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

Hep Alien and CCrider92 like this.
  14. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Trippy I kept waiting for it to be released but it never came out. The theaters said it as coming now that ad is gone. Maybe straight to the net? Bummed. Wanted to see it in the theater

15. faceinthecrowd

faceinthecrowd Forum Resident

It was released into the theatre for one day on TP's birthday, October 20.

Greenalishi likes this.
  16. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

17. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Wonderful, thank you

Matthew Tate and Bonddm like this.
  18. SFM1965

SFM1965 Well-Known Member

Many thanks to McCool for doing the heavy lifting and bringing forward such a well thought through sequence.

Having given both a run through, I'd probably go with Rainy Taxi's variation for the reasons given, ie. California does feel 'Disc 2' for some reason and the join from Something to Virginia works very well.

However, either is near perfect to my ears, the only slight juxtaposition being Lonesome Dave. Without a '94 sessions version there's not much to be done of course and it's provenance makes a strong case for its inclusion. I might try out a few alternatives to Dave some stage.

Hep Alien and Rainy Taxi like this.
  19. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

After seeing the documentary I realize I've not even come close to paying attention to this album. That will change first thing tomorrow morning.

Matthew Tate and JayB like this.
  20. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I lied! Couldn't wait till this AM and listened to it late afternoon yesterday. I'd previously only paid attention to 1 or 2 tracks, so this was an adventure into discovery! A couple of fluff tracks but the rest is genuine stuff. It's like getting a new release.

cosplusisin likes this.
  21. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

@ryan de topanga did say that was the only master take in the Vaults, so I assume it could just be due to the way it's mixed vs. the way the rest of the material is presented that makes it stand out? I haven't actually compiled a new tracklist myself yet. so I can't comment, but I know I'd probably clip the brief chatter at the beginning, though I know some of it does remain on the main album.

Hep Alien and KinkySmallFace1991 like this.
  22. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

I went with McCool’s, if only so Disc 1 isn’t quite so loaded up with tracks from the original album.
    Definitely agree that both tracklistings work though.
    The It’s Good to Be King/Hung Up and Overdue combo works an absolute treat!
    My favourite Petty track (Hung Up and Overdue) now seems even greater!

23. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

Well, folks, sorry to bump a (somewhat?) zombie thread, but I wanted to let you all know that I *FINALLY* had a chance to sit down and listen to @McCool 's list that he dropped on Tom's 71st birthday. I always loved the original Wildflowers as it was, but ever since I learned of a good chunk of extra songs recorded for the album, after "Wake Up Time", I always felt left wanting more. After listening to @McCool 's playlist of all the "raw materials" (to quote the amazing @ryan de topanga ) this past Sunday, I finally felt satisfied. It told the story a much different way than the original album, not better or worse. My mom also listened with me (I was at her house when I played it), and after "Wake Up Time", she began to cry and said, "Wow. What a perfect ending." And then, when "Girl On LSD" came on, she couldn't cry for long and we ended a great experience with a laugh, which is how I always prefer to do it.

Thanks, @McCool for giving us all the opportunity to hear a fun interpretation of what "Wildflowers" might've been like if it had been issued in the 2CD format. A great collection of music and now with what will be my preferred way to hear it.

Merry Christmas and God Bless Us, Everyone!

24. CaseyJames

CaseyJames Relaxed Fit Jeans Vibe

Okay, this is probably covered somewhere over the 218 pages (and I did try and search within the thread) but I'm curious on the consensus of the 3 LP pressing in relation to the version from the 2016 box set. I know but are AAA and both done by Bellman, but I feel like I read somewhere that the '16 version might be better than the current one? Any confirmation on that or thoughts on that claim?

25. Alright4now

Alright4now Forum Resident

Wife and kids going to a cat show thing tonight. I’m at home listening to this LOUD tonight and it just sounds fantastic.

Is “Its Good to be King” my favorite Petty song? Maybe!