New Tom Petty album dropping "Wildflowers - All the Rest"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian Gupton, Jun 2, 2015.

1. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

She means Bodacious.

2. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

7 Digital has it in lossless FLAC (16 bit). Prostudiomasters has it in hi-rez 24/96.

I like the demo, but haven't bought it. I assume it will be on any deluxe Wildflowers, if I live to see such a thing. ;)

3. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

Reading the tea leaves, once again the Rolling Stone article that was published last week described the forthcoming archival project as such: Track details are still unannounced, but the project, due later this year, looks to be an exhaustive chronicle of the making of one of Petty’s most enduring albums. From my vantage point, I believe published reports have only scratched the surface of the vast labyrinth of material that is available to Tom Petty's estate to draw from in terms of this period. It's was quite simply Tom Petty's most prolific period of songwriting. Think large cache.

Welcome to the forum Jeff. The issue with the soundtrack is that it could be somewhat cannibalized by the release of "Wildflowers: All The Rest". I go into this in detail in posts #482 & 530 but the long and the short of it is between "An American Treasure", "The Best Of Everything" and "Wildflowers: All The Rest" there will only be a very small handful of tracks still unique to the soundtrack. It's also worth noting that TP himself was not a fan of the soundtrack and seemed to view it as one of the few faux pas of his professional career.

It's funny because I've been waiting on this project for what it's worth since '96, so you have to stack those five years that most have been waiting by roughly another nineteen and then we can start that conversation. I was apparently late to the party too. There are publications/interviews dating from as early as 1994 noting that there was an album left in dry dock. Hey I'm still rollin'!

Here is an abstract from one such article from 1996. This wasn't the particular article that reached my antenna but the gist of what I was aware of back then is in here:

"Speaking of box sets, Tom Petty is already hard at work on his next one, with outtakes from "Wildflowers," Petty's producer, George Drakoulias, says there are at least six songs left over from those sessions, including "Leave Virginia Alone," which Rod Stewart recorded for his latest album. Drakoulias recalled that during the recording of "Wildflowers," the band would go over to Mike Campbell's house and roll tape." ~ The Pantagraph, Bloomington, Illinois by Rick Halberg and Scott Robbins [1996-01-22]

4. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

They must have just put it up. I checked the other day. I went through all the rigamarol with HD, so I'm good.

5. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Thank you for this.

Also, Qobuz tends to have identical hi-res masterings for cheaper. Want this in 24/96 on HDTracks? $2.98. Want the exact same thing on Qobuz? $1.99. The price difference gets greater when you go for a full album. The Best of Everything on HDTracks: $38.98, Qobuz: $32.49. I recently discovered Qobuz is consistently cheaper, and even lets you buy single tracks. I find it a superior hi-res site altogether.

Album You Don't Know How It Feels (Home Recording), Tom Petty | Qobuz: download and streaming in high quality

6. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

What leads you to think it could ne that late ?

7. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

"rad" is short for "radical", which was originally a term used to describe extremist beliefs, but was adopted by American teenagers in the 1980s as a synonym for "excellent"/"awesome"/"cool"/etc.

livin´thing68 likes this.
  8. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

I think the issue with the McCartney Super Super Deluxe version is the price for a bigger box, a few photos (I am sure they are beautiful) and and EP of not an amazing track.

I was glad that it wasn't more tempting like the Wild Life Red Rose Speedway box with Wings over Europe. That I didn't have the strength to resist and everytime I listen to it I am happy to have it. Music is the draw for me, not marbles, stickers, photos and scarves.

We just have to wait and see what they offer. People can make their person decisions on which version if applicable they pick up. One of my favorite albums, I will be watching closely.

Paul Getsey and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

I'm with you on that, although a nice book or booklet can be a very welcome addition. But the scarves and marbles in those Floyd sets? I'm a big fan but I passed on all of them.

Some of the GD box sets are beautiful, and not ridiculously priced for the amount of music they contain (at least if you buy them when they come out). I also think the '66 and '75 live Dylan sets are great examples of reasonably-priced boxes done right.

10. Ken.e.

A good book with interesting recording or historical details is always welcome. Just photos and press releases etc is less interesting for me. I was disappointed in the LZ releases for that reason.

Blue Sky, Matthew Tate and Al Gator like this.
  11. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

Those super deluxe Zep releases also included vinyl. I don't do vinyl and won't pay for it in a reissue. I'm not an anti-vinyl guy, I just have no interest in spending my money on it.

12. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    (Photo credited to Robert Sebree)

Well as I've been spotlighting throughout this thread both Robert Sebree and Martyn Atkins captured some amazing photography of Tom Petty during this period and for me personally they are as much a part of the overall experience through the journey of this period as anything else. Some of the photography that was captured by these two gentlemen are some of the best pictorials ever captured of Tom Petty/Heartbreakers as they were able to give fans a true fly on the wall perspective of the "Wildflowers" sessions as they were going down. Atkins, being a filmmaker obviously also captured a fair amount of footage as well, both of the band in the studio and then time was set aside for both men to capture film of TP in his backyard with his dog Enzo. These are actually some of the nicest shots of TP with his Florida Marlins baseball cap, among the hollyhocks and mucking around with his dog. So worth checking those photographs out if you haven't seen them.

Linkage:

Robert Sebree's "Wildflowers" Portfolio: TOM PETTY / ALL THE REST — Robert Sebree

13. Ken.e.

I agree they should be separate. I am a vinyl guy but I love the way McCartney, Beatles and Marillion do a vinyl version and a CD version so you can decide. I unfortunately typically buy both for the artist I really enjoy.

14. livin´thing68

livin´thing68 Forum Resident

Many thanks for the translation of rad

15. livin´thing68

Thank you for the information

longdist01 likes this.
  16. livin´thing68

As we all know, Tom would have turned 70 on October 20th. That would be an ideal date for publication. October 20th falls on a Tuesday. New albums are usually released every Friday. The deadline would be Friday, October 23rd. So go ahead, Petty family !!!

17. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I too hope to make a professional faux pas of this quality in my career!!

"Hey my brother
    I got no fight with you, I just can't lie down
    No, I just can't lie down, I just can't lie down"

Did Tom Petty ever write a lyric that resonates more with the movement in world at the moment that this???

18. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

Anyone know what a “drum box” is in this scenario? Drum machine? Doesn’t sound like it. Cajon?

longdist01 and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. twistandshout

twistandshout Forum Resident

It would be really great to see another Wildflowers album with a b-side of unreleased songs.
    I hope they also include a DVD of a live concert....there aren't many out there and that would
    be a real treat.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

By the way, I love Echo. It's for me like a "highway companion" to Last DJ, dunno why.

Hep Alien, Matthew Tate and btltez like this.
  21. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

This one is amazing:

[​IMG]

22. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

TOM PETTY PROMOTES "WILDFLOWERS: ALL THE REST" (in 1994)

I was glad to see that this little video clip resurfaced recently as it was one of the few times [perhaps the only time!] that Tom Petty was filmed speaking about "Wildflowers: All The Rest". This video clip dates from 1994 when TP was promoting the "Wildflowers" album on MTV with a barrage of content including a music video showcase, a Rockumentary and this short interview clip taken I believe from an installment of"This Week In Rock". While the complete unedited interview has never surfaced, all of the aforementioned programs featured selections from this long-form interview with Tabitha Soren. In this brief clip, while promoting his new record, TP inadvertently begins speaking about the project which would become known as "Wildflowers: All The Rest", the original plans for the "Wildflowers" album, Rick Rubin's feelings about trimming the album from a double disc to a single and his future plans for the songs that didn't end up making the cut.

PS: Apologies for the video quality. This is what is generally referred to in casual circles as a "screener". This video used to be available in much higher quality and in more complete form, but the relevant part [to this thread anyhow] is captured here.

23. livin´thing68

On Wednesday July 29th we will hear a new song on Tom Petty Radio
    Mark Felsot just announced on TPR
    They‘ll be premiering a never-before-heard song from Tom.
    Finally a new song from Wildflowers all the rest. And hopefully a song we don't know yet.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  24. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Lets hope maybe before Christmas 2020 for the Wildflowers box set?

25. Jeff Bramwell

Jeff Bramwell Forum Resident

Has anyone caught the "new" song on SiriusXM yet? The lack of chatter about it is surprising. I'm not a subscriber but I might need to get on there.

FourWalledWorld likes this.