New Tom Petty album dropping "Wildflowers - All the Rest"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian Gupton, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Good photo. :righton:

2. Rainy Taxi

Rainy Taxi The Art of Almost

The song's premiere was delayed until next week. Check in on Wednesday!

3. Jeff Bramwell

Jeff Bramwell Forum Resident

Ah, ok. Thanks!

4. slashdot87

slashdot87 Forum Resident

As a huge Petty fan, I am looking forward to this. So many great releases coming up. Petty, Prince, etc. Gotta make room for more "P"s...

Dignan2000 likes this.
  5. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Courtesy of David Fricke of SiriusXM's "Tom Petty Radio", I am pleased to share that "There Goes Angela", the latest single from the forthcoming Tom Petty archival project: "Wildflowers: All The Rest" saw it's worldwide premiere this morning on "Tom Petty Radio". The song which is another one of Tom Petty's solo eight track demos cut in his home studio during the development of the "Wildflowers" sessions can now finally be enjoyed by Tom Petty/Heartbreakers fans worldwide as it enters regular rotation on SiriusXM's "Tom Petty Radio".

For more information please visit www.tompetty.com and keep tuning into SiriusXM's "Tom Petty Radio" for the latest updates on "Wildflowers: All The Rest".

6. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

I would be remiss not to mention that "There Goes Angela (Dream Away)" will soon be made available on all digital platforms and streaming devices. In fact Tom Petty DOT com has a interesting little quiz you might want to take a gander at: Tom Petty ‘Wildflowers’ Quiz

#comefindalltherest

7. farewelltransmission

farewelltransmission Forum Resident

What a great song. I couldn’t be more excited about what’s to come...

8. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Interesting new Avatar!!

FJFP and Paul Getsey like this.
  9. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

i thought they have pivoted away from the "All The Rest" (outtakes boxset) to a full reissue of the album with all the archival material appended. does anyone know for sure?

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. Jeff Bramwell

I'll admit, after such a long time anticipating the Wildflowers reissue/original concept/whatever you want to call it, I was hoping they'd hold the material back until we could absorb it all at once. But this track is such a gem out of nowhere, it gives me a ton of hope that we're going to get a treasure trove of material rather than simply "all the rest." The track info on the download off of tom petty.com lists this as "26. Home Recordings - 01 - There Goes Angela(Dream Away)", so hopefully that means there's a significant amount of home recordings going into the box set.

FJFP, Tedw9, Hep Alien and 2 others like this.
  11. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

I wouldn't fret all that much over the scope of "Wildflowers: All The Rest". ;) To quote a wonderful songwriter: "It'll All Work Out". :righton:

FJFP, Alan57, Dignan2000 and 5 others like this.
  12. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

With seemingly every artist’s vault getting purged at once, its going to be an expensive Fall/ Christmas ....

Paul Getsey and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

Here is the new song

ptijerm, Hep Alien, Ted Bell and 9 others like this.
  14. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    There Goes Angela (Dream Away)
    Words and Music by Tom Petty

There Goes Angela
    Down Sixteenth Avenue
    Goin' To The Store
    Sunday Afternoon

So Dream Away My Love
    Let Your Heart Be Free
    And If Ever Should Someone Break Your Will
    Have A Dream On Me
    Have A Dream On Me

Tarzan In The Trees
    Cowboys In The Yard
    Didn't Know To Be Afraid
    Didn't Know Life Was Hard

So Dream Away My Love
    Let Your Heart Be Free
    Have A Dream On Me
    Have A Dream On Me

One day I'll be back
    One day I'll be home
    Right now I got some things
    To do out on the road

But dream away my love
    Let your heart be free
    Have A Dream On Me
    Have A Dream On Me

Easter Egg: This 1992 home recording duplicates some of the musical phrases from what by that time was already a decade old unreleased composition by Tom Petty, the "Long After Dark" outtake: "Turning Point".

15. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

That would be great. Everyone already has the main album. (Inevitable vinyl release notwithstanding)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. ThirtyThree1/3

ThirtyThree1/3 Forum Resident

This is all just the best news. Love the new song. I cannot wait. Like so many, Wildflowers meant the world when it came out and I still listen to my cd all the time. I bought the boxset last year to listen on vinyl when the estate was beefing since it seemed the project might be shelved indefinitely. Geeking out right now.

17. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Now you've changed your Avatar again.

For those that missed it it had Wildflower Disc 2 and all the songs that I assume will be on Disc 2.

The new avatar is obviously some sort of artwork associated to the set.

Can we expect an announcement soon??

Hep Alien, Matthew Tate and supermd like this.
  18. drift

drift Forum Resident

Appears to be from an unofficial account? Strange. I assume we'll get one from the official TP channel soon.

19. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

SiriusXM's "Tom Petty Radio" usually gets a 24hr exclusivity window before content is shared through digital streaming services although for now it seems Tom Petty/Heartbreakers are also only making "There Goes Angela (Dream Away)" available through the official website.

20. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

A well known rock journalist recently publicly shared through his social media accounts some information regarding the upcoming archival release and even had a bit of a laugh with Benmont Tench over the matter. That said for now, I've chosen to obscure the part of the image which contains the personal information of the journalist in question JIC he doesn't want his information "out there" beyond certain parameters. So hang tight for a bit.

21. Hooodo Man

Hooodo Man Forum Resident

a nice little song. Can definitely hear "turning point" in there. too bad the band never got to take a swing at this one. :( I hope we see all the rest before the end of the year. very promising that this is track 26 as mentioned above. May signal they are a fair way into the process now. Would make an excellent Xmas gift. :)

Also nice they put it out there for free!

22. Jeff Bramwell

I'm gonna cross my fingers that they're aiming for November 1 to hit the (not quite 25th) anniversary.

Paul Getsey likes this.
  23. RJD1954

RJD1954 Forum Resident

....oh my. Delicious

24. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Listening to this song, and wondering what it would've sounded like with some keyboard touches and Mike Campbell magic.

I know this is very unlikely, but given that all the band members are still alive and kicking and in good playing shape, I wonder what a posthumous album (or even an EP) would sound like of the band "taking a swing" at some of these songs that Tom demoed but never got around to recording properly. I imagine there's at least a few of these from different writing sessions over the years (although it'd only really work if Tom demoed them in a way that would allow his vocal to be isolated). But I'd certainly trust Mike and Benmont to do an excellent job and be true to Tom's style and overall vision. Sort of like Springsteen, I don't think Tom's outtakes or unreleased songs remained that way because they were weak, they just didn't fit in at the time, or Tom got more excited by other songs. (And obviously both the full-band and original demo versions could be released together as part of the package, so everyone would be happy)

FJFP, Rockford & Roll and Hep Alien like this.
  25. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Do we know the band never took a crack at it? Perhaps these demos are just a glimpse into the demos disc and they'll start putting up more official studio outtakes leading up to the actual release.