New Tom Petty album dropping "Wildflowers - All the Rest"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian Gupton, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

Song is beautiful. Man, was Tom ever careful about getting his double tracked vocals correct.
    I've heard finished, finalized records with sloppier double tracking. These are perfect.

ptijerm, jumpinjulian, Tedw9 and 3 others like this.
  2. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

According to Benmont Tench, it was one of the demos that Tom Petty never presented to the band. Remember subsequent to TP recording these eight track demos, he would present them to Rick Rubin for his feedback and appraisal and TP would utilize that feedback as a barometer as to what songs he was going to bring into the studio.

3. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

But how do we know Tom didn't present it to Mike Campbell? The two of them recorded the bulk of She's the One. This would have right on that.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. farewelltransmission

farewelltransmission Forum Resident

You've certainly piqued my interest. What's the artwork of your current icon from?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

There was an interesting little discussion recently regarding the music that Tom Petty left behind. In particular the music that will likely see commercial release versus the music that won't. To begin with, I think walrus hit the nail on the head when he mentioned that a lot of the unreleased music as it pertains to Tom Petty/Heartbreakers has more to do with the fact that certain songs did not end up making it onto proper albums either because they didn't fit the feel of the album that the band was making or in some cases because Tom Petty was extremely conscious of the place his music occupied within the greater sphere of what was available to consumers at the time. To begin with, if TP had a song that despite being a strong piece of writing or a strong recording, he might not release it because it sounded similar to a previous song of his that his public would be familiar with. He came from the The Beatles' school of thought that you didn't remake singles or albums, instead you pressed forward with each release. He also had legitimate concerns regarding being commercialized. While many fans may assume that these concerns only extended to retaining control over his publishing in that his songs were not used in advertisements, it actuality extended to the content he released to market. Songs that were deemed too commercial would oftentimes get pushed aside in the interest of not having a hit made to order or at least not that particular song becoming a made to order hit. "You Come Through" is an example of this, "Leave Virginia Alone" is another.

So these are the type of songs that will no doubt now present as strong contenders for commercial issue as they could have been singles twenty or thirty years ago, had it not been for Tom Petty's wisdom and discerning eye. There is also the idea that the material that Tom Petty would write with The Heartbreakers in mind was always of a high standard in that if TP would take a song to the band, he made sure it was something that he could present to them and they would be enthusiastic about recording. You don't get the impression that there were many times where Tom Petty would have to twist Mike Campbell's arm or Benmont Tench's arm to record one of his works. So the songs that TP would write that were crafted pieces of work, fans will likely get to hear most of those. The off-the-cuff recordings, the improvisations, the jam tapes...those are likely what is going to remain vaulted not because they wouldn't be a big ton of fun to hear but they probably don't retain much commercial viability. But one of the many benefits of being a Tom Petty/Heartbreakers fan is that TP didn't write many songs that were pedestrian in nature. He took his craft seriously and even with something like the solo eight-track demos for "Wildflowers" which as Benmont Tench described this morning were really an exercise in Tom Petty writing for himself instead of the band, are of an incredibly high standard as they aren't roughs or works-in-progress but actually completed works that as TP mentioned to Paul Zollo in 2005 could've formed their own unique album.

PS: In regards to your question about The Heartbreakers' attitudes towards post-production work as it pertains to unreleased content, "Playback", "Songs And Music From The Motion Picture: She's The One" and "An American Treasure" retain some degree of post-production work done to the unreleased material inherent to those collections. That said, I've yet to find a band that takes up this matter with as much taste as Tom Petty/Heartbreakers do as the post-production work isn't at all obvious or performed in a way where it would detract from the original recording.

6. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Quality control is very high in Tom Petty Land.

Elliottmarx, J_D__, RoyalScam and 4 others like this.
  7. farewelltransmission

The metadata on the new track is: "26. Home Recordings - 01 - There Goes Angela(Dream Away)" which could be meaningless or could there legitimately be 26+ songs?!

8. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

I think you are reading the metadata wrong mate. While there are a copious amount of home recordings pertaining to this project, the metadata you posted up is likely in reference to a much longer digital reference playlist encompassing the entire contents of the archival project. The first pair of integers likely represent the track's placement in the playlist while the second set of integers likely represents the track's placement in regards to where it would fall in regards to it's placement upon a compact disc. So that said, "26. Home Recordings - 01 - There Goes Angela(Dream Away)" is likely the twentieth sixth song in the comprehensive playlist and the first track on the Home Recordings disc.

laf848, supermd, Alan57 and 3 others like this.
  9. farewelltransmission

Good call. I suppose that the entirety of the project would include, at minimum, the 15 tracks of Wildflowers. I'm just sleuthing, McCool... eager for the details.

10. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Lol..how about a hint who it was?

farewelltransmission likes this.
  11. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Has anyone picked up the brown vinyl repress of Wildflowers that has been making the rounds? Unauthorized, of course. The sound and pressing quality is supposed to be top notch.

12. livin´thing68

livin´thing68 Forum Resident

I love the song, especially the part when he sings "So dream away my love" plus the harmonica, it fits perfectly, I love it.
    ... and I love your avatar “McCool”, the modified cover of the Wildflowers album. I would find it perfect as a cover for All the Rest. ❤️

Hep Alien and Rockford & Roll like this.
  13. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

The only other artist whose demos are this good, is Pete Townshend.

14. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

R.E.M. did some studio level demos. Double tracking demo like Petty is unique.

Hep Alien, J_D__ and Rockford & Roll like this.
  15. RJD1954

RJD1954 Forum Resident

It is amazing. But some sloppy double tracked records are too. The Rolling Stones for example! Double tracked Mick sometimes sounds wonderfully wrong!!!

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  16. livin´thing68

livin´thing68 Forum Resident

Mike Campbell has postponed his Dirty Knobs debut album a second time. The new release date is now November 20th. I think he didn't want to stand in the way of the "Wildflowers all the rest" project, so he postponed it again.
    I think "all the rest" will be out before November.
    I know Campbell is into that album- tour thing, but I can't imagine Mike thinking he could tour again in November. There will be no more concerts this year.

17. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

With hindsight, Mike may’ve been better off just releasing it on it’s original release date. I hope you’re right that this postponement means Wildflowers is imminent.

Paul Getsey and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Let’s be positive and hope for a cure to COVID-19:)

19. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

Suscribed to the Tom Petty official website.
    Downloaded There Goes Angela.
    Enjoy the music.
    Life is short.
    Take care.

20. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

Yeah I read that. Nothing has been officially confirmed thus far to my knowledge by the band themselves but if the release date has indeed been pushed back, it wouldn't necessarily surprise me. Although Tom Petty/Heartbreakers and The Dirty Knobs are separate entities, you don't want competing product entering the market at the same time and for what it's worth Mike Campbell has always been resolute in his belief that Tom Petty/Heartbreakers related affairs should supersede those involving The Dirty Knobs which is why the latter was always treated as a side project and did not issue commercial product during the years that Tom Petty/Heartbreakers were still an active band.

PS: I know the OP was loosely tethered to the discussion taking place in this thread, but if we can manage in the future to keep all Dirty Knobs related content in either their own dedicated thread [they do have one ya know!] or in the main Tom Petty/Heartbreakers thread where there is an exciting little item now percolating on the front burner: Cooking With Benmont Tench!

21. Cookie!

Cookie! Forum Resident

Where exactly is "There Goes Angela" available for official download? I checked Qobuz, 7digital, Amazon, iTunes, and it's not there anywhere. Also, when I go on the official Tom Petty website, I don't see it mentioned at all and they're still just promoting the demo of "You Don't Know How It Feels". I also signed up for the newsletter on the official site, haven't gotten an e-mail about the track.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

I saw a post on facebook about taking a quiz to get the song. i took the quiz, got 4/5 and downloaded it.

23. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

For the moment at least, Tom Petty's solo eight-track demo of "There Goes Angela (Dream Away)" is tethered to a discount offer that is being made available through the official Tom Petty store. As such, it is only available through the official Tom Petty website although you need a bit of a back door key to unlock it. You need to take a "Wildflowers" quiz [link posted below] although regardless of how you score, you'll be granted access to download the song.

Linkage:
    Tom Petty ‘Wildflowers’ Quiz

Hep Alien, Paul Getsey and Paul J like this.
  24. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Enjoy. Every. Sandwich. -Zevon

25. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Lol. I got 5/5. I only knew two of the answers for certain. ;)

J_D__ likes this.