New Tom Petty album dropping "Wildflowers - All the Rest"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian Gupton, Jun 2, 2015.

1. gaels7592

gaels7592 Forum Resident

I think they announced on siriusxm that there is an announcement next Thursday. I forgot what time of the day but I'm pretty sure we should have news soon

2. livin´thing68

livin´thing68 Forum Resident

I'm already really excited, there will finally be the long-awaited announcement for all the rest on Thursday ? Waiting over five years has finally come to an end ?

longdist01 and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

I certainly don't mean this to be a slam against the Petty Estate (who have been doing a phenomenal job), but did it become industry practice to make announcements about announcements before or after we started getting movie previews for movie previews?

supermd, Sean, Paul Getsey and 4 others like this.
  4. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Both American Treasure and Best Of Everything were released unabridged on vinyl. Not to mention, the Live Anthology got a silent reissue. I have zero doubts they will put it on vinyl. Nice packaging, liners, etc. are important to anything Petty related. However long it is taking to be pressed could be the one thing that is determining it's release date.

Sean, J_D__, FJFP and 3 others like this.
  5. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

Yes. And in all likelihood, I will be getting it on both vinyl and HD download / CD, which I almost never do. The TP Estate has been doing an absolutely phenomenal job with their vinyl (re)issues. I expect the same from this.

6. KirkK

KirkK Senior Member

Most likely this most recent announcement was just an announcement of next week’s announcement of a possible announcement of a release date. Soon we’ll be getting tweets announcing possible pre-announcements of teasers of further announcements of upcoming official announcements that are subject to change due to the pandemic.

In all seriousness though, I hope the next announcement is it- a release date, tracklisting, etc.

supermd, Sean, JoshD and 6 others like this.
  7. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Is the original album supposed to be a part of the box? And do we have reason to think there will be a stand alone release of the original album? I'm starting to lose track of what we are expecting here...

8. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

I have a bad feeling we are getting all the extras and no actual old album. I hope not but that is what it sounds like to me.

9. KirkK

KirkK Senior Member

Given that they were looking for the original double-album tracklist at one point, it’s possible it will be presented as the “full Wildflowers” which would include the original tracks mixed with the outtakes. If they’re including demos of those original album songs (which they seem to be since “You Don’t Know How It Feels” was previewed), I’d be surprised if the original album wasn’t part of the package in some form. I can’t say I’ve ever seen a deluxe version of an album by anyone issued without the actual album included.

Hep Alien, CoryS, Sean and 4 others like this.
  10. I think our “source” mentioned on a recent post that Tom’s intention was to have the album in its released form and the extras separate to that.They seem to be committed to honouring Tom’s intentions so I think this is how it will be presented.

11. livin´thing68

Yes that's right, as far as vinyl goes, they have always done a phenomenal job, I also own the vinyl box set Volume One and Volume Two.

12. livin´thing68

all the rest actually means all the rest, that means the original album would not be included. However, that would be very strange, and I have never experienced that from any artist, if the original album and which it is actually about is not included.

13. KirkK

KirkK Senior Member

I suspect when Tom was alive, the original conception with the All The Rest title was a standalone release of just the outtakes. But given the inclusion of demos and the description of it as a “deluxe reissue of Wildflowers” (the language used in the job posting by Warner looking for a video editor/storyteller, bolded emphases mine) I’m sure the project has expanded its scope (and probably dropped the All The Rest title, if I had to guess.) You can’t really call it an album reissue without the album itself, right?

14. windfall

windfall Senior Member

All I would bet on is multiple configurations. The record companies are wise to the fact that more casual fans are not after the deep dive necessarily, and that committed fans will often buy all the configurations available,

Sean, McCool, Matthew Tate and 5 others like this.
  15. rlj1010

rlj1010 Forum Resident

My prediction is that they will abandon the 'All The Rest' title and release it as Wildflowers - Super Deluxe Edition. The original album remastered. A disc of the leftover songs that were on the original double album tracklist. A disc of demos. And a disc of B-sides from the era, along with live versions of the album tracks taken from the Dogs With Wings tour. And possibly, they will reveal the original double-album sequencing, so we can make our own playlist of it.

But I guess we'll know for sure soon enough.

Carlox, Sean, Matthew Tate and 5 others like this.
  16. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

Steven Marcussen mastered Wildflowers. I try to steer away from his stuff but Wildflowers does not sound bad to me. Still I would love to hear Bernie Grundman do it

FJFP likes this.
  17. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

I’m pretty sure this’s been posted previously, but I’d thought I’d post it again for anyone who missed it at the time.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  18. Arete411

Arete411 Forum Resident

I think this prediction is spot on. I’ve noticed that the SiriusXM DJs and bumpers refer to the upcoming release as “The Wildflowers Project,” not “All The Rest.” Does that mean a package that includes the original album, intact, PLUS All The Rest? That’s my hope.

McCool and Matthew Tate like this.

19. From my non- industry perspective - given that as of 8-12-2020 they put this ad out to the general public - I’m going to be cautious with my enthusiasm for a soon release of The Wildflowers Deluxe release.

Logistically, how long would this whole process take from this recruiting process to being at the point where a documentary is ready to be part of the album release?

Is it likely this part of the project can be ready for a September/October 2020 roll out?
    Surely the record company has a Rolodex full of short documentary filmmakers to choose from - no?

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  20. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

I don't own the Volume One and Volume Two boxes. But I own all of the individual albums from those sets (original pressings of everything on MCA and repressings of every album on both MCA and Warners) except Wildflowers.

And as good as the OP's are, I really think the repressings are even better. The Estate has been doing a bang-up job with these.

I can't wait for Wildflowers in whatever configuration we get it. This is one of my two most anticipated releases of this year (the other being the Prince Sign O' the Times Super Deluxe boxed set).

21. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Blu Ray 5.1 is what I’m hoping for the most.

rd1, Mooserfan, laf848 and 2 others like this.
  22. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

Surely the only reason the new vinyl version of Wildflowers hasn’t been released separately from the box set when all the other LPs have been, means they’ve been holding it back specifically for this release...

23. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    There seems to be a great deal of concern circling around the idea that the "Wildflowers" album as released to market on 1994-11-01, somehow won't be included in the forthcoming archival release. I'm not sure where that notion is being extrapolated from although I can guess-estimate it probably stems from Warners suggestion to Tom Petty that the "All The Rest" quotient of the project that he submitted to them was strong enough to be issued to market independently as it's own unique release.

Warners was concerned and arguably rightfully so as to how catalog releases are regarded by the market in the modern era. As such, when TP presented them with a song cycle of ten tracks that were originally intended to be included as part of the "Wildflowers" album in 1994, they recognized the unique opportunity of being presented with unreleased music but NOT outtakes. Again a distinction needs to be made between the two because most times when an artist decides to issue an archival edition of one of the prominent albums in their catalog, they usually have to rely upon material that on the face of things is noticeably inferior either in aesthetic and/or sound quality compared with the original album in order to re-introduce product to the market. This was NOT the case with "Wildflowers", as Tom Petty had an absolute gem of an album to present to Warners that nobody had ever heard and one that could be considered every bit the equal to the "Wildflowers" album that came out in 1994.

So Warners was understandably enthusiastic about the prospect of releasing the "All The Rest" quotient of the project as essentially a new/unique release rather than a catalog issue. That all said I wouldn't personally be all that concerned with the notion that the "Wildflowers" album is somehow going to be jettisoned from this forthcoming archival release. In fact, while I understand the concern, the notion that it would be excluded strikes me as pretty bizarre.

In short, I wouldn't be too concerned. Perhaps @Sean Murdock can chime in on this but the advertisement in question was seemingly put out a few days prior to 2020-08-12. Instead, August 12, 2020 seems to have been the deadline for those parties wishing to apply for the job in question to make contact with Warners to express their interest. That said, while it is by no means my intention to diminish the work of whomever facilitates this aspect of the project, it's an album trailer not a full fledged documentary or EPK. The original "Wildflowers" album trailer that was used to promote the album back in 1994 ran around twenty-five seconds. The "Somewhere Under Heaven" trailer that has been available on YouTube since 2015 clocks in at forty-two seconds.

Electronic Press Kits which are issued to the media and occasionally distributors are usually more elaborate affairs. For example, Warners did commission an EPK for "Wildflowers" back in 1994 which included a documentary by Martyn Atkins that ran around ten minutes in length alongside the music videos for "You Don't Know How It Feels" and "You Wreck Me". There is a similar EPK also directed by Atkins, dating from 1996 for "Songs And Music From The Motion Picture: She's The One" that has been making the rounds on YouTube for a few years now. Compare the length of that EPK to the "Somewhere Under Heaven" trailer that I posted up last week and there is a stark difference between the two.

This is somewhat of a complex question and any attempt for me to address it is just going to be of a subjective nature. To begin with, I'm going to remove the Tom Petty Estate from the equation as it makes the question a lot easier to address without having to consider or ruminate about intent. I mentioned a lot of this back in post #610 but the concept of soft and hard launches have always been part of the narrative in terms of bringing product to market to one degree or another. Soft launches more often than not are used as predictors of future product coming to market while hard launches represent the product itself being available [or at least available to order] on the market.

There is also the reasonable conclusion that one could draw that record labels tend to rely on coordination as their blueprint to move product to market. In essence, major labels do not prefer to hard launch a product without having the product's release date coordinated with the specifics of the release as well as a means for the public to pre-order the product. So all of those components need to be synchronized together before a hard launch can occur. So while I understand the frustration that some fans feel regarding the soft launch [although who is truthfully complaining about new Tom Petty music right?], they are much easier to organize than hard launches where all you have to do is release product to market without a great deal of fuss comparatively speaking. Given the times we are living in 2020 with a global pandemic hovering over our collective heads, it's also a sound business strategy IMO.

24. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Soft launches, hard launches.....when did the whole release process become so damn tedious and drawn out?

A single, a video and an album release date was what we got in the good old days (if we were lucky)....they way things are done now, I have lost interest by the time the "product" has been released.

(this is a general moan, and not simply aimed at TPE or Warner's)

FourWalledWorld and Graham like this.
  25. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

When people stopped buying music. Around the same time, in order to up the ante and get people interested in tangible items, you also started to see the "Best Buy-only" or "Target-only" releases. It's annoying AF, but I guess it's the pill we have to swallow if we want to continue to purchase music on a hard medium.

This is all well and good if it's 1994, but it's not and the way thing are done is just different now - for better or worse.