New Tom Petty album dropping "Wildflowers - All the Rest"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian Gupton, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Yup the 5Cd set from the states would be approx $216 (£164) -- so that last CD is £124 worth (and book etc).

2. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

You don't always get a tax hit, you never know, plan for the worst and hope for the best!

windfall and FJFP like this.
  3. windfall

windfall Senior Member

I would not be surprised if they withhold Disc 5 from the digital download domain. It's too easy for it to leak to illegal sites and they will try hard to keep it exclusive to sell the super deluxe.

audiotom and 56strat like this.
  4. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

I tried the Coupon code on an instock item, and it didn't work either... maybe it's time to email them.

Matthew Tate and Bonddm like this.
  5. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

Am I correct in thinking that both Volume 1 and and Volume 2 of the Complete Albums were AAA? If so, does this also apply to the individual RM releases?

6. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

AFAIK, the individual releases match those in the box.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  7. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

The fact that Disc 5 download isn’t included with the physical purchase of the ultra/super deluxe sets or the download options on the Petty site isn’t a good sign.

ARK, Jeff Bramwell and hobbes4444 like this.
  8. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Do I understand that the only way to aquire the material on disc 5 of the 5 disc set is by purchasing the 5 disc set?

9. OptimisticGoat

Or the 9LP set.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Britt in VA

Britt in VA Forum Resident

Did anybody that emailed TomPetty.com ever get confirmation on the 475 Ultra Deluxe number?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

So the material from disc 5 is not included in the big ultra set?

Sorry, all these sets get a bit confusing

Jeff Bramwell likes this.
  12. windfall

windfall Senior Member

The material on disc 5 is "Finding Wildflowers" - alternate versions from the sessions. This makes up LPs 8&9 of the ultra deluxe.

13. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

That and the 9 LP set by the look of things.

I'd love the 9 LP set but at £214 just for the 7 LP set in the UK I'm going to struggle to afford that let alone the 9 LP set.

14. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I preordeed the 3LP from Bullmoose.

Bill, OptimisticGoat and hodgo like this.
  15. OptimisticGoat

IIRCC the top 2 vinyl set (9LP) and the top CD (5CD) Set include that material.

mpayan likes this.
  16. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Well, there is always a catch to these things. Its the way they force hardcores to purchase multiple sets. Business as usually. I guess we should be thankful there are so many options.

Buy the big one flip it and pay for the 5cd set is what some will do.

Either way...sale!

Kind of off topic:

Who gets the proceeds from this? His family get a chunk?

Matthew Tate and OptimisticGoat like this.
  17. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict

Others have reported that the download tracks available upon preordering the vinyl superdeluxe were 24/96. So odds are in your favor the remainder will be hi res as well. It's not stated as such on the website though.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  18. OptimisticGoat

I understand it is. FWIW I bought the 9LP set (complete) and the 4 CD set (budget). I think in the LPs I got everything and I don’t have the missing bit in the CDs which I can live with. I can probably stream it sometime...

Matthew Tate and mpayan like this.
  19. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Wonder if that 5 disc set will sell out quick?

Matthew Tate and OptimisticGoat like this.
  20. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

£214 for the 7 lp set vs £420 for the 9LP?

Pre ordered the 7 set off Amazon.....i cant justify the extra...or can i?

21. OptimisticGoat

I was actually surprised how many seem to be into the 5 CD set. I thought vinyl would be the attraction. The non musical stuff “is what it is” but happy to have the book and not the beads etc. if the 5 CD set was US $50 less it would be great.

Edit. I should add, since I am reading and not posting that I am soooooooo ...... excited to see this set finally. I have been waiting for it since I learned on the forum that it was in prospect. Toms‘ untimely loss Deserves the anticipation and reverence that this release should be prompting.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
  22. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

Hey peoples,

It seems there was a lot of discussion about many different aspects of "Wildflowers & All The Rest" last evening [well one aspect in particular], so lets get right down to it:

Tom Petty's solo eight-track home demo of "You Don't Know How It Feels" can be found on the Home Recordings programme [disc 3 - track 2]

Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering. "Mary Jane's Last Dance" is not considered part of the "Wildflowers" canon as it was recorded during a respite in the sessions specifically for the "Greatest Hits" collection.

According to Rick Rubin, a plethora of recordings tracing Tom Petty/Heartbreakers' rock 'n' roll roots were tracked during the "Greatest Hits" sessions in an effort to identify a second track to bundle alongside "Mary Jane's Last Dance". A cover of Thunderclap Newman's "Something In The Air" was ultimately selected for the package.

Around the time of the "Wildflowers" sessions, Howie Epstein got TP interested in Native American culture, a lifestyle that was tremendously important to Epstein. Tom Petty was intrigued and together with Martyn Atkins put their heads together and began to design and base a great deal of "Wildflowers'" aesthetics around Native American culture. In fact their is a whole little story about that little "Wildflowers" blossom logo we've been staring at for over twenty years now. I'll save that for another time but needless to say it ain't no ordinary bud!

There is an alternate mix of "You Don't Know How It Feels" that was issued as a promo cd to radio stations that were skittish about playing the original version as part of their rotation. The promo version features the refrain "Lets get to the point, lets hit another joint".

Yep.

It's a reasonable concern. Personally if your preference centers around the hi-res, my wholly subjective/anecdotal read of the situation is that eventually the waters will get a little less murky. Given some of the comments made yesterday by Ryan Ulyate regarding the status of the Finding Wildflowers programme, I would guess-estimate that it's still in a state of flux.

That said as I can best recall the last time out with "An American Treasure", there was complimentary digital content attached to the highest tier or iteration of that particular collection. However, this was not made public alongside the official announcement of release and was only brought to light several weeks later after I believe Ryan Ulyate was able to negotiate digital content into that highest tier package [admittedly, I'm not too sure on this point as 2018 was a long time ago, and I can't recall what I had for breakfast yesterday]. The point is, I have my fingers crossed that at the very least those fans who invested in the highest tier package(s) will be rewarded with a high resolution download of all the contents included within. Hopefully we get word back soon in regards to whether the Finding Wildflowers content will be available in hi-res/24bit digital media format.

23. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

The vinyl is the draw for me, absolutely, but the album proper is the only AAA material.

I went with the 3lp and the 4cd for the bones material - would love the 5cd but that $100 disc just isn’t worth the jump

24. RJD1954

RJD1954 Forum Resident

BOTH are masterpieces. But the care and attention and packaging of Wildflowers deluxe looks a quantum step up on GHS. BUT, so does the price!

25. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

This is all really exciting but very confusing! Never known so many editions of an album being released. Slightly disappointed that I can't just get all the music without spending three figures, but never mind, 4CD set it is for me.

So is the 4CD American Treasure set now a rarity?

Matthew Tate likes this.