New Tom Petty album dropping "Wildflowers - All the Rest"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian Gupton, Jun 2, 2015.

1. gabbleratchet7

gabbleratchet7 Forum Resident

Confirming Ryan Ulyate’s “Behind the Glass” Wildflowers outtakes episode is on the air right now. Don’t see it listed as being on demand (yet?).

Batman21 likes this.
  2. Jeff Bramwell

Jeff Bramwell Forum Resident

I'm on it! Will report back with how many songs/snippets are worthy of a new playlist I just started putting together of Wildflowers-era recordings that had another destination in mind and/or were simply were never intended to make the album. My working title for this is "Seeds of Wildflowers.' As of now it consists of:

Peace In LA ... debatable whether this should be included
    God's Gift To Man
    You Get Me High
    Lonesome Dave
    Mary Jane's Last Dance
    Something In The Air
    Baby, Let's Play House
    Wooden Heart
    Come On Down To My house

From Ryan's show, I'll be adding:
    Farmer John (Don and Dewey cover)
    Easily Bored
    Yellow Is The Color (Donovan cover)
    Girl On LSD Jam (for those that are unable to listen, it has no resemblance to the track we know)
    I Can't See My Piano (Benmont on vocals)
    Is That Your Wife [partial, unfortunately] (Bo Diddley cover...so fun!)
    Bring It To Jerome (another Bo cover)
    Something Ain't Right (super loose, nothing particularly special on first listen, but a fun little insight into Tom's stream of conscious)
    That Ain't No Good (a snippet...nothing special. Tom cuts it off saying "that ain't no good")
    Come On, Let's Go (snippet of the Richie Valens song)
    Keep One Eye On You (nothing special, but Benmont is having some fun and whoever is playing bass is moving around with a good line [Ryan points out that it's Howie])
    Honey I'll Take You Down (super loose, but again Benmont just being Benmont and doing great things...makes me realize that Benmont was at maybe as much of a sweet spot as Tom was at this point)
    Them Juju Beads (Tom's "King Of The Hill" character on vocals...think Moon Pie)
    Waitin' In School (Ricky Nelson cover...vocal is pretty loose, but this is one of the winners of the set from this program)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
  3. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Baldrick: The thing is: The way I see it, these days there's a war on, right? and, ages ago, there wasn't a war on, right? So, there must have been a moment when there not being a war on went away, right? and there being a war on came along. So, what I want to know is: How did we get from the one case of affairs to the other case of affairs?

Edmund: Do you mean "Why did the war start?"

Baldrick: Yeah.

Haggischomper and brianvargo like this.
  4. farewelltransmission

farewelltransmission Forum Resident

Johnny Wong, supermd, FJFP and 4 others like this.
  5. Mikeyerg

Mikeyerg Forum Resident

6. gaels7592

gaels7592 Forum Resident

Bring it to Jerome is hilarious!

Pawnmower and Jeff Bramwell like this.
  7. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Wish this stuff was on the box set.. Such an awesome show. Thanks @ryan de topanga

8. Jeff Bramwell

Jeff Bramwell Forum Resident

Picking up from my previous post on Ryan's show...

Cut Up A Watermelon (has a bit of the "Highway 41" DNA running through it, along with a good bit of "Baby, Let's Play House")
    $200 An Hour / Baby, Let's Play House
    Change Your Way Of Livin' (long blues jam, has the beginnings of "Sweet William" in it)

It really is amazing to hear how much material they threw out there just to keep the session loose. I wonder how indicative this is of the band in general, or whether it was specific to this super productive timeframe of Tom's writing career.

TheLoveDrags, Pawnmower and FJFP like this.
  9. farewelltransmission

farewelltransmission Forum Resident

That Benmont is no slouch, huh?

Johnny Wong, ARK, supermd and 4 others like this.
  10. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Great show! Can't wait for the next one...

Farmer John
    Easily Bored
    Yellow is the Color
    Girl on LSD Jam
    Ben's Intro
    I Can't See My Piano
    Is That Your Wife
    Bring It To Jerome
    Something Ain't Right
    That Ain't No Good
    Lighter Than Light
    Come On, Let's Go
    Keep One Eye On You
    Honey I'll Take You Down
    Them Juju Beads
    Waitin' in School
    Pleasure Train
    Cut Up a Watermelon
    $200 An Hour/Baby, Let's Play House
    Thank You, Thank You
    Change Your Way of Livin'

supermd, TheLoveDrags, laf848 and 6 others like this.
  11. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    SIRIUSXM's "TOM PETTY RADIO" PRESENTS RYAN ULYATE: "BEHIND THE GLASS" (episode 01)

- The programme begins with Tom Petty covering a song which is called "Farmer John". A little bit country-fried, a little bit ramshackle and some tasty keyboards from the hand of Mr. Benmont Tench the third. It's interesting to hear TP cut loose here with a thoroughly loose vocal. He's having a blast with the "woahs" as well. "Farmer John" is a song written by Don & Dewey and initially released to market in 1959.

- Ryan Ulyate welcomes us to the show and states that he is going to play us some music on his new show "Behind The Glass". Ryan gives his history working with TP from working with him on his twenty-first century albums and the "Buried Treasure" show. He states that he is going to play us music that Tom Petty/Heartbreakers played between-the-takes during the "Wildflowers" sessions. He notes that sometimes the band would play to lighten the tension or get their mind off of the song they were working on. Improvisation being the rule. TP is on the bass guitar on "Farmer John" as was common during these sessions as the "Wildflowers" project didn't necessarily revolve around a permanent, steady bass player and would oftentimes see TP and Mike Campbell switch off on the bass guitar.

- Ryan Ulyate cues up another improvisation provisionally entitled "Easily Bored" which dates from the 1993-07-23, "Greatest Hits" sessions featuring Stan Lynch on drums. This is followed by a loose Donovan cover entitled "Yellow Is The Color" initially issued to market by the Hurdy Gurdy Man in 1965. Both are mid-tempo rockers which emphasize a bit of the rootsy rock 'n' roll that Tom Petty/Heartbreakers could occasionally slip into.

- Next up is a bit of a riff on "Girl On LSD" as TP crafts a new improvisation around the familiar refrain pulling in lines from Chuck Berry's "Schooldays" in the process. This one is a lot of fun, with some Jerry Lee Lewis style piano phrases from Benmont Tench and wonderful guitar work from Mike Campbell. This was recorded on 1992-11-23 when Tom Petty and Rick Rubin were auditioning drummers for the "Wildflowers" project and features Phil Jones on the drums and Bob Glaub on bass. As this breaks down, we hear Benmont play a little spiritual boogie on the keys before Ryan Ulyate welcomes us back to the show. Ryan later explains that this jam may have been the genesis of "Girl On LSD"

- Benmont Tench starts jamming on a song entitled "I Can't See My Piano". The song is slow tempo with a bluesy groove to it. A reminder that if the Heartbreakers are ever left to their own devices, they will usually return to the blues. TP offers a positive appraisal of Tench's work as the song winds to a close. TP and Tench then have a bit of a back and forth improvisation entitled "Is That Your Wife" based around the Bo Diddley song "Bring It To Jerome". The available tape cuts off just as TP starts to roll.

- The next track is actually a cover of Bo Diddley's "Bring It To Jerome" first issued to market in 1955. As this winds to a close we hear some tasty guitar work and TP begins vocally improvising over the guitar and keyboard work on a improvisation entitled "Something Ain't Right" tracked on 07-01-1992 with Stanley on drums prior to an early take of "Honey Bee". The guitar work sounds very heavily influenced by Tom Petty's old Traveling Wilburys mate, George Harrison late of The Beatles. " San Bernardino is shining like a diamond" says TP as he crafts a winding tale about driving all night, trying to shake off a feeling that "something ain't right". If nothing else these jams demonstrate how tight The Heartbreakers truly were as a band as they fall in effortlessly together behind their lead singer.

- Ryan Ulyate then cues up a medley of shorter undeveloped jams. The first features some very fuzzy guitar similar to the guitar work heard decades later on "Hypnotic Eye". Next up is a cover of Ritchie Valens "Come On Let's Go Little Darling" issued posthumously to market in March 1959. Nice stuff although it doesn't last very long. Benmont's piano invites us into the next jam "Keep On Eye On You" featuring both Stanley and Howie Epstein from the "Greatest Hits" sessions...I wonder why Benmont has never played this one at Largo? TP reverts into Elvis Presley parody with some at times unintelligible scatting. Nice ending too!

- A guitar/bass/keys improvisation ramps up of the folk song "Baby Let Me Follow You Down" best known by it's interpretation by Bob Dylan. As this winds down we hear TP singing some very Hank Williams influence country pickin' "Them Ju Ju Beads". Next up it a complete cover of Rick Nelson's "Waitin' In School" featuring George Drakoulias on drums which Tom Petty/Heartbreakers would cover several years later during their run of shows at The Fillmore West in 1997. TP unlike many of his contemporaries when it comes to his nineteen fifties rock 'n' roots actually remembers all the words!

- Ryan Ulyate cues up a song entitled "Pleasure Train" featuring Steve Ferrone on drums on 04-13-1994, a slow, snaking bluesy jam very similar to the song "County Farm" that some Tom Petty/Heartbreakers fans will be familiar with from their late nineties live performances.

- Another improvisation follows as TP starts pulling in references from classic blues songs such as dwelling down in the county jail. Some nice piano work on this one entitled "Cutting A Watermelon" and tracked on 1993-07-23, somewhat reminiscent at times of Tom Petty/Heartbreakers cover of Elvis Presley's "Baby Let's Play House". TP breaks down into a fit of laughter at the end.

- TP begins improvising a little tale entitled "Two Hundred Dollars An Hour" from the sessions for "Christmas (All Over Again)" on 07-23-1992 about how the milk has gone sour at two hundred dollars an hour and Campbell and Tench both join in as TP references Mary Kay cosmetics, elastic pants and Pink Cadillacs. The lyrics read like one of those standardized test questions where they ask you: one of these things is dissimilar to the other. This time the jam actually does evolve into Presley's "Baby Let's Play House". Fun and as always Tom Petty's Elvis Presley imitations are on point!

- Ryan Ulyate thanks everyone from Tom Petty's Estate to Mike Campbell, Benmont Tench, Alan "Bugs" Weidel and Stan Lynch. Ryan states that he's been contemplating assembling a programme like this for a while and it has been wonderful bringing it to fruition. The final song of the programme is cued up, a jam from the "Greatest Hits" sessions entitled "Change Your Ways", another heavily blues influenced Heartbreakers romp somewhat reminscent of Slim Harpo's "I'm A King Bee".
    ================
    All told a fun-filled show highlighting a side of Tom Petty/Heartbreakers that most fans have never heard. It's refreshing to hear an outfit as professional as Tom Petty/Heartbreakers who were capable of producing some of the highest standard of rock 'n' roll ever pressed to wax are just as capable of letting their hair down and cutting loose if the occasion calls for it. The only thing that was missing from the programme was a song about a three-legged-dog! Cheers Ryan! That was fab.

PS:
    Apologies in advance for any omissions or mis-identifications. I was tracking the show live and it was moving fast as fast could be. As others have already stated up the chain, the programme will be available on demand for SiriusXM subscribers and encore presentations will be broadcast throughout the week [see post #2348 for the schedule].

12. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

Damn between this and the Springsteen at Home shows he’s doing, I really wish I hadn’t cancelled Sirius!

13. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

I’m the same! Listened to the YDKHIF demo, then stopped.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. gad999

gad999 Forum Resident

Same here please? I'm 50/50 on going for the 5CD set but if the downloads are only available to US buyers that'll turn to 0/100!

15. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

FWIW I ordered from the Warner US store (if you're in Scotland I'd recommend due to the cheaper shipping) and I've already got my downloads for the pre-release tracks.

robtodd, richierichie and gad999 like this.
  16. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

I bought the 7LP set & I could download the two free tracks. I'm near Birmingham.

richierichie and gad999 like this.
  17. Simonski

Simonski Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot the detailed information, McCool!
    I find this more interesting than parts of the Box-Set (the Live-CD, for example) and I'm pretty pissed, that I can't listen/subscribe over here in Europe/Germany. Is there any way, European fans can listen? I think, there should be...

jricc likes this.
  18. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Good point. :righton:

19. gad999

gad999 Forum Resident

Thanks for that, good news. I'm just waiting to hear from Warners about getting the 10% discount code to work then I'll be 110%.

KAJ1971 and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

Now, I never heard back about that 10% sadly, but hopefully you can get it!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

Got this response back from Zia Records so I would have a backup plan!

"Hi there! Your order is in, so as long as we get them, and as long as your credit card goes through once those come in (you have not yet been charged), your order is secure. That said, with any preorder or special order, we can't be 100% sure we're getting the items. We're reaching out to our vendors now for you to see if they can guarantee whether we're getting them."

Bakeryrec and Sedwards like this.
  22. Sedwards

Sedwards Senior Member

Hmmm. Thanks. I did not receive that email. But not confidence inspiring!

ARK likes this.
  23. livin´thing68

livin´thing68 Forum Resident

In Germany you can get the 4 CD Deluxe Edition for € 44.98
    the 3 LP version for 36.99 € The euro prices are similar to the dollar prices in the USA.
    Only the 7 LP deluxe version should cost € 249.99. In the USA the version costs $ 174.95 that is 75, - € which I would have to pay more for the LP Deluxe version in Germany.
    I don't get the 9 LP and the 5 CD Super Deluxe at all in Germany.

hodgo likes this.
  24. Simonski

Simonski Well-Known Member

I got mine (5 CD Set) here:
    https://store.warnermusic.com/warner-records/artists/tom-petty-the-heartbreakers.html
    Shipping is 15,99 to Germany, I think.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

I had specifically reached out to ask if I was guarantied a copy.

ARK, Matthew Tate, Myke and 1 other person like this.