New Tom Petty box set “An American Treasure” (September 18, 2018)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AKA, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

I remember the '86 tour with Dylan vividly. Bob was still rocking pretty hard at that point.

mark winstanley likes this.
  2. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Great tour. Saw them in London. The Hard to Handle video from Sydney Feb 86 is superb.

mark winstanley likes this.
  3. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I don't think that would warrant a big announcement at this point.

My guess, like others, is the Wildflowers reissue. Really any archival release of unreleased stuff would be welcome, IMO.

J_D__ and Crazyhorse11 like this.
  4. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I'd really like a blu ray release from his last tour. The Boston stuff on YouTube is pretty good to me.

5. walrus

The pro-shot Boston footage was from 2014. He was a little more inspired that night than the date I saw on that tour, but I can't get that excited about latter-day live stuff when there's so much old stuff in the vaults. Like, between Soundstage and the 2006 Gainesville show and the Live Anthology, I'm kinda set for 2000's-era live Petty. Maybe someday we'll get a Springsteen-like live archive series.

budwhite likes this.
  6. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

A Springsteen like live archive series would be the best news!

7. windfall

windfall Senior Member

I'd love that but have a feeling the Petty camp would assume we have all we need with the Live Anthology box. But I would love something multitracked and mastered from the 1981 tour - most of the other major tours are covered with FM broadcasts etc. The holy grail would be recordings of all the Fillmore shows.

theMess, J_D__ and budwhite like this.
  8. Vinyl Richie

Vinyl Richie Forum Resident

This thread is a lie, unless you are talking about Thursday, July 11th, 2019.

9. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I saw 3 stadium shows on a double bill with the Grateful Dead. 1 in Buffalo, and 2 at RFK Stadium in Washington DC.
    Those could've been the final Grateful Dead shows, but that's another story.

I liked the Dylan/Petty sets.

10. walrus

The holy grail for me would be stuff from the original (or at least Stan Lynch-driven) lineups. The Fillmore broadcast sounds really good already...earlier FM broadcasts are really hit and miss.

I think the Live Anthology is the equivalent of Bruce's 1975-85 set...it's good for fans and filled a long-needed gap in their discography, but the small but super-dedicated core fans will still be interested in more shows from the vault. There's no reason they need to be mutually exclusive.

(Having said that, I'd bet my life savings this announcement won't be that, so it's not really worth fantasizing about at the moment)

theMess and FourWalledWorld like this.
  11. Thursday is June 12th so which is it???

AKA and hutlock like this.
  12. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

It’s Wednesday, the 11th. Sorry about that; post-physical therapy brain frog.

13. Andrew Kyriacou

Andrew Kyriacou OK I'm not an audiophile, but I love good music.

More live stuff would be good, although there is a lot already out there. Is there much in the way of out-takes/ alternative takes that could be released?

Never tire of Tom, been listening to him consistently for the last 40 odd years and can't believe he's gone.

joshm2286 likes this.
  14. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Then hit the Report button and get that thang fixed. :winkgrin:

AKA likes this.
  15. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Dylan and Petty sure played some hot sets in DC. Music was pretty good too. But it felt like 105 in there when they were on mid afternoon. No wonder it sent JG into a coma.

16. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

PLEASE let it be this.

17. AKA

Tom’s social media just posted this update:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  18. AKA

They’re about the make the announcement on Tom Petty Radio at the top of the hour.

19. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    I am pleased to officially confirm via David Fricke of SiriusXM's "Tom Petty Radio" the imminent release of Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers' career spanning box set "An American Treasure". This box set will include 4 cds of previously unreleased live, studio and demo recordings! The box set will feature sixty tracks and will be released September 28th in both 4cd and 2cd formats. The first single is a Long After Dark outtake entitled "Keep A Little Soul" and is released today through Tom Petty Radio.

Tune your dial to www.tompetty.com tomorrow morning (07/11/18) at 10 A.M. EST for more information regarding this extremely special release!

MORE TO COME 2-MORROW!

www.tompetty.com
    Flashback: Tom Petty Performs ‘Wildflowers’ at His Final Concert – Rolling Stone

[​IMG]

NOTE TO GORTS: This thread is an ancillary thread to the Tom Petty/Heartbreakers 2018 thread that I started earlier this year. Since that thread has been used to discuss projects and events outside of the scope of this new content, I'd ask that you allow this one to stand on it's own.

20. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Fantastic news! Looking forward to the full track list.

Jimmy B., theMess and J_D__ like this.
  21. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

You should PM one of them, as that way, they're sure to have read this. Unless reported, they don't look into every thread, all the time.

lightbulb likes this.
  22. AKA

It will be a 4-CD box set called An American Treasure, and will be released on September 28th. Compiled by Adria and Dana Petty, Mike Campbell, Bennont Tench and Ryan Ulyate, it will span Tom’s entire career and include 60 unreleased studio and live recordings, and alternate takes. A 2-CD version will also be available.

The first single is “Keep a Little Soul,” from the 1982 Long After Dark sessions, for which a video will be released.

More details tomorrow at 10 am EDT/7 PDT.

23. walrus

Finally, someone gets the box set concept right. This will be really great for fans, hopefully.

24. LeeGriffin

LeeGriffin Forum Resident

Sounds nice and I'll definitely get the 4 cd set. Shame there is no vinyl release planned (yet?).

25. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Sounds exciting!

Clanceman and theMess like this.