New Tom Petty/Heartbreakers Compilation: "The Best of Everything"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by McCool, Oct 5, 2018.

1. monte4

monte4 Senior Member

I couldn't resist, I preordered today.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. Jack

Jack Senior Member

As did I, the two cd set for $15.97 at Bull Moose.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. NewKidInTown

NewKidInTown Forum Resident

Well, consider me sucked in...again! Just ordered the clear vinyl.

markp, randy9700 and Peja11 like this.
  4. Anyone else seeing funds being held then released then held again from this purchase through the TP Official site?

5. wino14

wino14 Forum Resident

Tom does sing the verses solo on End of The Line

Tim 2, Lewisboogie and Hep Alien like this.
  6. Galaga King

Galaga King "Drive where the cops ain't"

Source?

This might explain its omission from Anthology.

Too bad, it is one of his most catchy '80s tracks.

"Forget about me... Forget about these eyes... Forget about love... Say goodbye"

windfall likes this.
  7. marcb

marcb Senior Member

They can’t be RE-masters. They’re new releases, thus they’ve never been mastered before.

8. windfall

windfall Senior Member

It's a good pop song. It was a regular, I think, on the Southern Accents tour and made it onto the Plantation DVD, while other songs (including Listen to her Heart and Dogs on the Run) did not. So Petty couldn't have been that un-fond of it.

Meanwhile, I am looking forward to this set (CD). It is likely to get to me before my copy of the American Treasure SDE does, which still seems to be lost in limbo between Warners Europe and Hermes. What was the name of the lame god? Hephaestus?

melstapler likes this.
  9. McCool

McCool Forum Resident Thread Starter

Regarding "Make It Better (Forget About Me)" you can basically choose your source if you are looking for derisive commentary. "Conversations With Tom Petty", the liner notes to "Playback" or basically any opportunity Tom Petty had to speak of the song he bashed it all to hell. Despite it's inclusion on "Southern Accents" and it's subsequent appearance on "Playback", it's been one of a few tracks that Petty actively tried to obscure from his catalog during his lifetime. He did not allow the music video for the song to be published on the "Playback" DVD, save for the aforementioned "Playback" appearance the song has never featured on a Tom Petty/Heartbreakers compilation and aside from being briefly featured on "SiriusXM's Tom Petty Radio" during it's launch week back in 2015, the song bears the distinction of being the only Tom Petty/Heartbreakers track to be completely pulled from rotation on the channel's playlist. Suffice to say Tom Petty was not a fan of the song.

10. Peja11

Peja11 PC is Neither

A

11. ryan de topanga

ryan de topanga Forum Resident

Thanks for catching this! Aside from "The Best Of Everything", which was a remix with the extra verse, everything else was remastered from the original 2 track masters, whether they are analog, or in more recent years, digital. A better description that covers all the bases would be "All 38 recordings on The Best of Everything have been re-mastered for this collection from pristine transfers of the original studio masters". They will update the website accordingly in the near future.

laf848, ralphk, Hep Alien and 5 others like this.
  12. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

You mean aside from all the albums I was introduced to by a certain well respected man?

John Fell and KinkySmallFace1991 like this.
  13. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Very interesting. I'm listening now and I like it. Pretty catchy. One he should have buried instead off that album is "It Ain't Nothin' To Me." Maybe it's the production. The '80s production of this album grates on my ears. So do the horns, to be honest...

14. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

That's the spirit @Jack! :D

Jack and KinkySmallFace1991 like this.
  15. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

No “Rebels”

Galaga King likes this.
  16. Jack

Jack Senior Member

I pulled a Fell.

KinkySmallFace1991 and John Fell like this.
  17. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Delayed until Feb 2019

18. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

the cd or just the vinyl?

19. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Cd and black vinyl

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  20. Peja11

Peja11 PC is Neither

The clear vinyl will ship on time?

21. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Source? Still showing November release on Amazon UK.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

Clear vinyl is available exclusively on the Tom Petty Official On-Line Store. Still indicates delivery for Dec 7.

It's the Bull Moose site that states delivery for Feb 2019 which excludes the clear vinyl version.

23. Peja11

Peja11 PC is Neither

Just to confuse things the TP website still shows 12/7 for black vinyl release.

24. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Mike Campbell and Benmont Tench helped compile American Treasure. I'm not sure about The Best Of Everything.

Hep Alien and KinkySmallFace1991 like this.
  25. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

Amazon now says that the release has been postponed until 2/1/19...Mike's 69th Birthday...

500Homeruns, Jack and Matthew Tate like this.