New Trend at Amazon.com: Offer the CD-R not the in-print import

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by wayneklein, Mar 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wayneklein

wayneklein Forum Fool Thread Starter

I found this odd. I was just checking on Jack Bruce's "I've Always Wanted To Do This" and a couple of his other CDs considering getting these for my brother for his birthday (he lost a whole bunch of CDs in a fire and I'm gradually helping him rebuild his collection).

When searching for a number of Jack Bruce titles I noticed they offered the CD-R available as a domestic release but NOT the import copy via amazon U.S.

Granted, CDs are "challenged" with lower sales but still I found this peculiar. Anyone else noticed this?

2. 905

905 Senior Member

Yes, I noticed it plenty of times. I remember a Frampton comp and Ringo's Stop and Smell the Roses. But a poster here says that the disc quality is good, so if it's a Taiyo Yuden or similar I wouldn't mind as much.

3. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

4. wayneklein

There are other CDs that, curiously, don't come up when you type in the title. The only think that does show up are the CD-R versions (that would also include "A Question of Time").

I just find it curious that if you type in the title that it doesn't show up as an option.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ords=I've+always+wanted+to+do+this-Jack+Bruce

5. sirmikael

sirmikael Forum Resident

6. Doorbell

Doorbell Member

Does Amazon use lossless files to burn the CD's?

7. wayneklein

I'm not sure. I would assume that they would use the original CD as the source but who knows?

It was already posted two posts above yours. My point was that you have to look for it whereas usually if you do a search it'll bring up the U.S. release AND the import versions (or all versions with the same title).

Just seems a bit suspcious to me.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

8. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

I wouldn't assume that it's a redbook CD source. I'd actually ask Amazon specifically what the source is.

If they don't know (or even if they tell you it's a redbook source), a way to find out after-the-fact is to rip the CD and then use a tool called "Spek" to check the spectrogram. If there's a hard cutoff at 19k, then imo there's a very good chance that it was 256kps MP3 sourced. It has to be a hard cutoff, however -- like a straight line right down the graph -- reason why is that softer songs / genres may not even get that high on a true lossless file.

9. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200326640&ie=UTF8&pop-up=1

This is always coming up.

10. Thurenity

Well at least they have it in writing. :thumbsup: I'd still check them, however.

I haven't seen one of these yet, but it sounds like it's a way to offer the lower distribution costs while giving the buyer the physical format. Still, if they could do this then why not just offer lossless digital download and e-liner notes instead? :)

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

wow! that sucks...makes me love my collection of pressed CDs even more...thanks for the heads up...crappy DVDRs was bad enough at Warner Archives with the other studios following the leader...

real pressed product will be a rarity eventually...:shake:

12. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

This practice has also been going on via CdJapan for quite a few years on some out of print titles....one in particular was offered as a cdr only toi be reissued a year or so later as a pressed HQ cd....how pissed would ya be if you bought the cdr especially since it wasn't cheap - still a whopping 2500Y

13. puffyrock2

puffyrock2 Forum Resident

I wanted to buy Puscifer's "Conditions Of My Parole" and it was listed as a CD-R printed 'on-demand'. I bought a copy listed as an import from a third party seller and got a factory-pressed disc.

14. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I wonder why they don't just offer lossless downloads of these CD-R titles instead of CD-R's? Seems like that would be a much better solution.

15. Jazzis

Jazzis Forum Resident

What about the artwork? It's printed on demand as well? What quality?

This smells really badly!!!

16. Thurenity

I've never gotten a title, but it sounds like they work with the associated label on this. So I suppose it depends on the process in place.

I have to think it's not like a actual CD presssing - we already know that it's a CDR. And I'm guessing that the artwork, although of potentially high quality, won't necessarily match what a label would offer. Anyone have one of these as an example?

17. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

I will not be buying any CD-Rs from Amazon or anyone else. I'll find a used CD or LP, but I'm not paying $$$ for a CD-R. But I'm sure many will, so this seems to be the future - Short runs of "real" CDs and/or LPs - then CD-Rs or downloads.

18. Jazzis

Jazzis Forum Resident

Let's remember that the CD-R has a very limited life-span... now you hear it, now you don't :o

19. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

20. Thurenity

Depends on the brand. If they are using TY, as an example, it could last awhile.

Still, it is what it is. Seems like some hybrid solution to offer a physical product while keeping inventory costs down. Just give me lossless instead. :)

21. ElizabethH

ElizabethH Forum Resident

One other issue the CD-R will be virtually unsellable to anyone else.
    Whould YOU pay good money for a used CD-R?
    I have been buying Cds off Amazon for awhile now, and when the CD-R comment comes up i either buy a used one, or a third party real Cd, or just skip it altogetner.
    If Amazon looses enough sales over the CD-R.. they may actually notice it and stop the practice.

22. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

I think you may be right. In fact, the entire "download" music experience seems a little, um...short-term. I have a feeling many will find their music "collection" gone as technology changes...

A physical media will always work - as long as it's taken care of. Don't get me wrong. I hope that's not the case. I hope these music files give folks a lifetime of listening enjoyment. I'm just not depending on them. I use mp3s, my i-pod...for short term enjoyment in the car, on the run.

23. Jazzis

Jazzis Forum Resident

Nice to see someone sober....

24. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Unless for instance the band exclusively uses the Amazons cd-r as it's physical medium, looks like 009 soundsystems discography is only available in cd-r format according to discogs

25. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

Unsellable? I think that is the idea. Sell a product that has no value on the secondary market. It's the perfect for a manufacturer or retailer. For the consumer, not so much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.