New Tubes Won't Go All The Way Into The Sockets

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Alan G, Nov 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alan G

Alan G More A Lurker Than A Poster Thread Starter

I bought some Mullard 6201s to replace the stock 12AT7s in my integrated amp. The new tubes won't go completely into the sockets. I don't want to be too aggressive trying to get them in fearing I would break either the tubes or the sockets. Is there any danger/problems with running the unit like is? They are probably about half way in and a very solid--not just barely in.
    Thanks for any input.

Alan

2. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Must have longer pins? Half way is ok. If not, amp wont work anyways.

3. Alan G

I have been listening to it and it does sound mighty fine to me so maybe it will be ok.

Alan

4. Seancito

Seancito Forum Resident

I had a similar issue when I had my Rogue Sphinx and it was difficult to remove them, but not as difficult installing them. Still, it took some time to really make contact with everything. I was slow and steady and didn't apply too much force and I was ok.

5. timind

timind phorum rezident

Are the pins on the new tubes longer than the pins on the old tubes? If not, I'd try @Seancito's method.

6. Alan G

The pins look the same to me. I have used a little bit more force and have gotten them down a little further but they are still not completely down.
    They seem to work fine and sound good so maybe all is well.

Alan

timind likes this.
  7. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Are all the pins straight and properly spaced?

Decware makes a pin straightener: DECWARE Tube Pin Straightener - Model ZPIN
    I've gotten 9 pin tubes that had pins that were visibly out of whack. I've considered getting that little Decware tool. But a $40 tool to fix a $40 tube...

gregorya likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.