New turntable advice

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Oatp1b1, Mar 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatp1b1

Oatp1b1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not anymore sadly, moved from there a few years ago. Gothenburg currently, so at least I have quite a few stores to choose from. :)
    This is the deck in question, not sure which arm is on it. It's 970 EUR.
    [​IMG]
    It's not possible to buy in my city, but there is a retailer in Sweden that at least carries the Flamenca, LSD and Vector IV. The LSD is 1.1-1.5K EUR depending on if it's equipped with the F4.5 or F5 tonearm. The retailer in question mainly carries Benz pickups.

2. Jimmy Mac

Jimmy Mac Zooropa... better by design

I've been in love with the Goldnote 425+ from the moment I first laid eyes on it on December 30th 2017, now that it's been in my house for the last couple of weeks, I love it even more.

3. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Unfortunately I can't see that picture, actually I can't see lots of pictures on here these days, is it hosted by Imgur, I can't even log into my Imgur account regardless of browser.:confused: Anyway if it's not 100s of miles out of your way I'd say give the Funk firms decks a listen, they are definitely impressive although I've not had a chance to directly compare a Funk Firm against a Michell or something else I'm really familiar with.

4. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

I can see the picture fyi

5. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

It's a problem my end, been that way since last week, I'm trying to work out if it's just Imgur pictures I can't see, I can see many photos posted, tried all the obvious fixes without success so far.

6. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Disable firewalls and whatever other "protection" software you might be using. Try again. If that doesn't work, disable all browser plugins. Try again...

Leonthepro likes this.
  7. The Project Extension 9 could be worth a look. Suggested RRP in within your range, built in speed switching. Set and forget playback and can often be had in combo with a good cartridge at a bonus price. If you were going down the Dynavector path I'd definitely be considering the DV20X even if it meant saving a little longer.
    Pro-Ject Audio Systems

8. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Tried disabling plugins, cleared cache, tried different browsers, checked my firewall, however I did just change my internet provider and get a new router, perhaps that's the cause, weird that I can't even get the Imgur login page up though.

9. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I'd look into your router. Set your PC into the DMZ and try again. If it works, it's your router that's the cause. From that point on, you can troubleshoot the router's configuration.

Dubmart likes this.
  10. Oatp1b1

Just thought I'd give an update a year later, now that I've finally bought a turntable. I ended up with an Acoustic Signature Ecco, Jelco SA-750D tonearm and Hana EH cartridge. Really happy with it so far!

[​IMG]

11. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

Beautiful table, Acoustic Signature does make some very nice ones. Curious, did you not like their tonearms, they have a couple very good ones, or was a removable headshell a priority, or just really like the Jelco? Anyway, well done.

12. Oatp1b1

Thanks! I bought it as a demo unit from a dealer where the Jelco was fitted and included in the price. Had I bought it new I would probably have gone with their TA700 arm but the price difference was too significant imho.

13. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member

I’m a big fan of Audio Technica carts for their build quality and consistency, but check out Soundsmith fixed coil cartridges.

14. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Amazing deck! Congrats! :righton:

15. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

USED TTs are a risk when new TTs sound as good as vintage. Rega Planar 6 or new Technics 1200 is a good & safe purchase.

16. Oatp1b1

Thanks (and thanks for all the advice you gave me last year)! :)

17. Manticore Mantra

Manticore Mantra Forum Resident

Clearaudio Concept MC comes completely set up and requires no fiddling. Superb sounding deck too.

18. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

:edthumbs:

19. Oatp1b1

I've got a stupid question that hopefully someone can help me respond to. As this is my first manual turntable, I'm not sure if this issue is either not an issue, me doing something incorrectly or the turntable being set up incorrectly.
    I've noticed that when I lower the tonearm it isn't lowered straight down but deviates a bit towards the center of the record, which makes it impossible to get the needle to drop at the beginning of an album but rather starts a bit into the first song of the album.
    Any advice?

20. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Anti skate causes this. Perhaps set too high?

21. Oatp1b1

Thanks! I have also noticed that the table is not entirely level, so I will start with that and if it doesn't solve it I will adjust the antiskating.

22. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If the feet aren't adjustable, level it with some playing cards or business carts and a torpedo level.

23. Oatp1b1

All three feet are adjustable, and I have ordered a bull's eye spirit level from Ortofon. Hopefully I will get it before the weekend, since I don't want to play the table if it's not levelled. :)

24. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If your level is the round type that's small, make sure you check it in multiple places on both the plinth and the platter itself. Likewise, if you don't have a tracking force scale, get one. They are cheap and these tools can make a lot of difference in terms of getting the TT set up right. Odds are the issue you are experience is just something that can be fixed with simple set up tweaks. Get the TT level, get antiskate and VTF dialed in, and you should be good.

25. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

[​IMG]
    Hi, never thought I'd see another. Mine is an Acoustic Signature Barzetti that I bought used several years ago. I have a Rega RB700 arm off of my P5 and this pic has an AT150MLX on it. I've since swapped to an AT OC9/MkII. I love it and love the OC9/MKII.

Congrats, should serve you well for a long time.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.