New TV Shows this season worth watching

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Veltri, Sep 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪ Thread Starter

Any brand new TV shows coming this fall season that look interesting?

2. Veltri

LilacTeardrop likes this.
  3. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Just Evil I have given up on fox.
    No more lawyer or doctor and cop shows for me
    bored with that genre.

4. rjp

rjp Senior Member

stumptown has potential

bluff city law - jimmy smits is always interesting

the unicorn has potential, but all sitcoms blow anymore

evil - has infinite possibilities, depending upon the censors

Veltri likes this.
  5. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

I think (well, hope) HBO's His Dark Materials is going to be pretty special. Starts early November I think.

entropyfan likes this.
  6. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

There's been nothing that's leapt out @ me....Except for this/Prodigal Son. Will definitely be setting reminder for it - premiering Monday, 9/23 @ 9:00 P.M. EST on FOX. Of course, FOX will probably end up cancelling it...both b/c that's what they do & b/c I think I'll enjoy it=Kiss of Death. Liked Kelsey Grammer's "Proven Innocent" last season & that didn't get renewed.

ABC continues to ruin shows before they even start, for me, w/running so many promo's...the latest being Stumptown...1st time viewing promo, thought VG+ Cobie Smulders always good. After about 30 x's...yikes/enough! I often view shows through On Demand & can't fast forward through commericals that way. I'm sick of it before it's even begun. Same occurred w/Whiskey Cavalier (but, that show probably would've burned out for me quickly, anyway.)

Hadn't known about Bluff City Law - just watched trailer. Snooze. :yawn:
    And, nobody seems to write a decent comedy anymore & when they do, they get cancelled, too, i.e. last season's: The Kids Are Alright...yet, The Connors remains. :rolleyes:

This could be the next wave...shows not going far beyond 1 or 2 seasons. Attention Deficit Disorder among viewers & those in programming & writers, too. Oh, well. :sigh:

Veltri likes this.
  7. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Forgot to include this show here, which I've been eagerly awaiting. Learned of it a couple of months ago. It's not premiering until Oct. 2 @ 9:00 P.M., FOX:
    Almost Family
    U.S. version of Australian show "Sisters" (haven't seen that.) VG+ cast & intriguing (frightening..."real" not zombies, vampires or cartoon villians/superheroes) storyline about a fertility doctor who uses his own "essence"...w/perhaps, hundreds (?) of kids out in the world/the aftermath. I don't think it's based on a particular true story, but I believe I have read this has occurred.

And, just learned of another today, looking up premiere date & time for Almost Family: Filthy Rich. Would like a good soaper (like Grand Hotel this summer), but I don't think this will fill that desire - looks a bit too Dynasty (which the CW already rebooted & didn't care for.) I'll try it, though. (w/Kim Cattrall, Sex & The City).

Filthy Rich (FOX) Trailer HD - Kim Cattrall series

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  8. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Prodigal Son. It's too early in the season but I'd like to see Malcolm and Dr. Tanaka as a couple.

Veltri likes this.
  9. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

I've seen the first two episodes of Stumptown and I'm warming up to it. Colby Smulders and Jake Johnson have good chemistry. I hope they will tone down the flash-back sequences.

I watched first two episodes of Emergence and it's hanging by a thread for my watching schedule. It looks like it will be like Lost or Under the Dome where we end up with more questions than answers.

I haven't yet seen Perfect Harmony but I generally like Bradley Whitford (ABC should never have cancelled Trophy Wife...grrr). I'm going to give Perfect Harmony a chance.

My wife is liking Bob (heart) Abishola. meh as far as I'm concerned.

Veltri likes this.
  10. dmiller458

Typical US sitcom. No better, no worse than a thousand others.

11. Veggie Boy

yep I agree. I lost my interest for sit-coms for the most part. There are a couple exceptions like Young Sheldon and Life In Pieces (another good one that was cancelled). I'm also watching the last season of Modern Family for closure.

12. dmiller458

Most of them follow the basic Hollywood formula. A lot of the times, it depends on how much folks like the cast more than anything.

13. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I like Walter Goggins, so I tried The Unicorn for two episodes, but no more. I guess it's better than some sitcoms, but seems to be populated with cliches of 40-somethings, and I'm too old to relate.

Veltri likes this.
  14. Veltri

I'm enjoying Stumptown enough to keep watching. I like that the police respect her and that they already got the "will they or won't they hook up" out of the way.

Emergence is much better than I expected (I didn't expect much) but I agree if answers don't come soon it won't keep me.

I tried the second episode and enjoyed it enough to watch another. I like the openness of everyone knowing everything about him.

15. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Been Watching Evil and Prodigal Son. I was shocked Evil got the green light considering The Exorcist was cancelled and the target audience would be about the same.

Veltri likes this.
  16. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

Of the ones I have sampled:

Bob Hearts Abishola (CBS)- meh.
    Carol's Second Act (CBS)- meh.
    Bless The Harts (FOX)- stinkerino.
    All Rise (CBS)- has potential
    Almost Family (FOX)- on the fence.

Haven't checked out Perfect Harmony (NBC) yet. It's on the to-do list.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  17. Veggie Boy

One other sit-com I'm currently watching is Bless This Mess. I view it as a new age Green Acres. I kinda like it, my wife doesn't care for it.

18. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

The new "Mixed-ish" from Kenya Barris is a wonderful, strong lead-in to the related (and equally wonderful) "Black-ish".

"Prodigal Son" has its moments, but mostly due to Bellamy Young who looks fantastic.

19. dmiller458

How is she the Prodigal Son's mother? Did she get knocked up at 12?

jpelg likes this.
  20. Veggie Boy

Well I got to see an episode of Perfect Harmony (episode 3 I think). :thumbsdow

21. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I'm fascinated by a thread this short about the whole damn Fall TV season, barely poking up its' head in a forum called, "Visual Arts", midway into October. That in itself is something worth discussing.

I know, TV shows premiere all over the calendar now, it's not like streaming services, basic cable and bigger programming arms didn't take the pi** out of television programming on standard networks years ago.

But...geez!

Recently I poked my head into a, "what TV shows are you watching lately" thread, and it seems, everybody there seems to be oh-so-enthralled about watching television shows that were old before their own diapers were. I'm tellin' ya, I lived through Eisenhower-era television, and I just don't remember it being someplace anybody would dream of parking themselves, and leaving themselves there.

How...why...huh...?

entropyfan likes this.
  22. rjp

rjp Senior Member

DVR'd the following at the beginning of the season:

stumptown - it's OK, will keep going for a little longer, got to get rid of the kid, i see real bad scripts coming up about him later on

emergence - lost? something better happen son, or it's bye-bye

prodigal son - just about ready to pull the plug, the kid is just not a very good actor, quite unbelievable. (how does he unlock the locks in the morning?)

bluff city law - expected much more. has it been the same script with different names every week so far? maybe one more and if nothing changes...............

the unicorn - actually made me chuckle, which no sitcom has been able to do fur years now.

evil - very interesting possibilities, will most likely keep for a while.

treadstone - have it DVR's haven't watched yet, will let you know.

returning shows:

the resident - really like this. lots of different characters, good writing and decent acting.

survivor - really rob and sandra (who i can't stand) i hope the winter one is an all-stars, maybe only winners.

swat - shemar moore is good

hawaii 50 - same old same old. very nice scenery

magnum PI - same as hawaii 50

blacklist - always good because james spader is magnificient

NCIS - all of them - always well done, a staple in our home

911 - angela basset is just not a very good actress is she? this show is pretty hokey, but my bride likes it.

FBI - really good, cast is fine, stories are good. missy peregryme is a very good actess, quite under-rated.

new amsterdam - OK, everybody on this show has something wrong with them (either physically or mentally), time to start writing about the hospital and the patients, or its bye-bye,

a million little things - slipping, real quick. last year was so good too. bad scripts, bad acting, bad overall vibe.

23. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

I could give you a lot of reasons. Better writing. More likeable characters. No modern PC crap jammed down your throat in every show. Slower pacing - sitcoms didn't have to have a joke every 7 seconds. Dramas not serialized to the point where you have to watch every show in order from the beginning. Better guest stars. Tons of pop culture references in modern shows, 99% of which I don't get as I'm not 18 years old and I have no idea who these people they are mentioning are. Sitcoms running 25:30 and dramas 50 minutes compared to now where shows are far shorter.

spanky1 likes this.
  24. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

You are implying that the competition is "re-writing" the "language" of television in terms of pacing and content...I totally buy 80% of your argument. And of course, I approve, as it benefits me, the discerning viewer, as opposed to the casual "whatever's on the tube" rube.

Broadcast, be it radio or television, has always been ruled by both the dictates of the needs of sponsorship, and "usage" (i.e, you don't do a clever, erudite morning show, you do one Mom can barely pay attention to while getting the family ready; all sitcoms 'must' have "Family" in the title, so families will know it's for them; news must be tailored to the reality of the audience it expects to watch). Cable netlets started loosening the content portion a decade ago, and somehow found sponsors willing to support the shows, rather than expect the shows to support their target demographics as first criteria. I would say it wasn't HBO that "changed TV", because most viewers still saw it as "premium" programming, not the norm; but basic cable networks, still offering higher-caliber alternatives to broadcast but still giving you a reason to skip past something with a remote in your hand, was the game-changer.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  25. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I don't watch network TV. Ever. And haven't in decades! I know I've missed out on a few special shows (or so I've heard!) but.....the ONLY 2 shows that I watch on a regular basis for the last few years, and I think I watch them cause I get a somewhat 'old school' vibe, are:

Mom
    The Neighborhood

Allison Janney in Mom is a happening. Nowhere near the same but I'd compare Mom with Laverne & Shirley, I Love Lucy, or the Mary Tyler Moore show. Janney's playing at THAT level! The Neighborhood is simply a 21st century 'lite' version of All In The Family! Nowhere near as cutting edge, but Cedric the Entertainer as Archie is always a hoot!;)

James Slattery likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.