Twilight Zone reboot with Jordan Peele - CBS All Access - Series Cancelled*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RickH, Nov 2, 2017.

1. AKA

AKA Senior Member

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

O' geez...I can only imagine what this will be like...PLEASE, PLEASE make me wrong on this...thanks for the heads-up I had no idea this was happening...

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

2 years ago, Peele was just half of a moderately successful cable sketch comedy show - now he's the king of the media universe! :D

Guy has obvious talent and is willing to take chances, so this could be fun! :righton:

4. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I think it will depend on the stories, good original stories. That is what made The Twilight Zone great.

5. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

I thought Jordan was a director now and quit acting.

Michael likes this.
  6. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

It might work if going by the posted CBS YouTube video intro they keep it black and white. Never liked the other remakes that were in color.

Jordan is going to take the place of Rod Serling from my understanding of what I saw on my local cable news station.

This current reprise will really need capable writers as good if not better than the original Rod Serling TZ to get me to tune in.

7. Oatsdad

I don't think he said he'd stop acting. Pretty sure he can do both! :)

8. MikaelaArsenault

Michael likes this.
  9. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I agree. So why call it Twilight Zone? Black Mirror didn't feel the need to, and are doing fine.

10. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I have no doubt that he'll do a great job with this.

snowman872 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

When haven't the studios cashed in on name recognition?

12. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I'm not convinced name recognition for a 50+ year old TV program is all that important today.

MikaelaArsenault and BeatleJWOL like this.
  13. HoratioH

HoratioH Talk Sparks to me

Can Hollywood get itself some fresh ideas rather than pumping out unnecessary remakes?

alexpop, MikaelaArsenault and Michael like this.
  14. Michael

15. Michael

well if the stories a fresh it will be fun...loved the TZ 90's reboot despite all those who did not.

16. Michael

the Twilight Zone was a very popular series and with the few reboots previously many will recognize the name which make one curious...

MikaelaArsenault and Encuentro like this.
  17. Michael

mind change! I'm looking forward to this now. : )

18. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I like Jordan but not sure they'll be able to pull in great writers with 'all access' money and its gonna come down to the writing, but maybe they'll take more chances with it being online only? is it worth paying 9 bucks a month for this and Wings reruns? someone watch and let me know

19. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Not to mention that the title has become a metaphor for people who find themselves in weird situations. The title has grown beyond the show and has become part of the lexicon. Most people will recognize the title, whether or not they’ve seen the show.

20. Michael

Exactly!

MikaelaArsenault and Encuentro like this.
  21. Oatsdad

22. MikaelaArsenault

It's totally fine with me.

23. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

You just can't remake the old Twilight Zone, because that style of storytelling seems a lost art. Or maybe audiences won't stand for shows that don't MOVE anymore. I would respect Jordan Peale (liked his movie) if he was so bold as to do "drawing-room" or as some of us know it, "Playhouse 90"-type dramas that focus on the mind more than physics. But I don't think young viewers will stand for that kind of drawing room show. I think Black Mirror is the best modern "Twilight Zone" but it feels completely new because if focuses strictly on THE FUTURE which gives it an nice modern feel. The old Twilight zones were a blend of nostalgia, comedy, horror, and magic and covered all the bases. and, yes, it was always about the writing. Anyway, just let me know what format you want the scripts in, Jordan.

24. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

I'ld have to agree with you but would point out that Rod Serling's super cool masculine sophistication of a chain smoking "Jack Kerouac" presence made the writing seem more believable with more social weight to the overall topics in the writing during that turbulent Vietnam War and civil rights era.

Even if they could recapture that weighted presence with Jordan Peele's Serling like narration, I don't think it would register with audiences today.

25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Peale said something about "tackling social issues" so I bet there is going to be some social weight to it. Yeah, Serling was super because he was the STRANGEST BEING IN THE TWILIGHT ZONE!