Twilight Zone reboot with Jordan Peele - CBS All Access - Series Cancelled*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RickH, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Watching TZ reruns I still can't stop fixating on how Serling's upper lip doesn't exist when he talks but he still looks cool. It must be lost in the Twilight Zone.

MikaelaArsenault and Ghostworld like this.
  2. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

This being the third go-round for this series, the episodes themselves are going to have to be extremely well written. One such episode from 1987 (that I thought was pretty good) was "The Card" about the powers of a credit card and what happens when you are not able to pay:

3. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

This is one of my favorite episodes of the new Twilight Zone series. Like with many of the classic stories, it builds slowly but has a great payoff. Word to the wise: Always read your credit card agreement and DO NOT miss a payment!

Another episode that is a favorite of mine is "The Once And Future King." A great story with a very sad ending.

I'm not much for remakes of the classic episodes, but one that I do like is "The After Hours." Although I've seen the original, it didn't seem to come off too scary to me. The remake turns up the fear factor and adds a very creepy vibe to the story.

Vidiot and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  4. Hope he doesnt add some comedic element to it. TZ always seemed to have a dark/macabre undertone as I remember it.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  5. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

Won't this be the fourth go around? There was the series around 2002?

6. Solitaire1

I think it depends how you number them. The breakdown, if I remember correctly:
    • Original Twilight Zone series.
    • CBS Series (CBS cancelled the series, but it continued as...)
    • Syndicated Series
    • Fox Series
    If you count the CBS Series and Syndicated Series as the same series, then this would be the fourth go-around.

Something related to mention: There has been a series called The Twilight Zone Audio Dramas. They are audio play versions of the classic Twilight Zone stories, with each episode featuring at least one well-known performer, and with Stacy Keach giving the opening and closing for each episode. Among the ones I have are:
    • "The Obsolete Man" starring Jason Alexander
    • "To Serve Man" starring Blair Underwood
    • "The Silence" starring Christopher McDonald
    One of the things I like about the Twilight Zone Radio Dramas is that they usually run from 35 to 45 minutes, and they use the extra time to provide additions to the original episodes that enhance the story. As an example, in The Obsolete Man they added scenes where Wordsworth meets others who are facing the same fate as he is.

MikeInFla and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  7. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

It probably is, I forgot about the Fox version.

8. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

One interesting thing about that run is it had the sequel story to It's a good Life with Billy Mummy reprising his role from the original series.

Vidiot and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  9. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

10. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Damn, I would have chosen Stuttering John Melendez as the narrator.....

11. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Same reason CBS does anything...so they can re-make series whose name and recognition factor have more value to them, than the quality of the actual remake, which is a cynical afterthought.

Their real goal? To hire every recognizable media figure from some older, more-established property outside of their empire, hoping to keep them locked-in for a future NCIS franchise...or perhaps, to lock them out of being signed for upcoming Marvel properties!

I don't think CBS has had any other overall casting strategies in place since they stopped hiring older character actors to do Murder She Wrote guest shots, just to keep their SAG/AFTRA insurance going one more year...:shrug:

12. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Here's the SHF new "Twilight Zone" episode competition. Voting to come later. In 100 words or less, give your story idea for a new "socially aware" TZ episode.

Ghostworld entry"

The townsfolk of Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania are celebrating Independence Day by holding a picnic at the local elementary school. The men are dressed like minutemen with rifles. The women and children wear home-made clothing of light cotton for the sweltering sun that reaches down through tall Pennsylvania pines. Someone slashies open a stream-cooled watermelon. A river runs through Beaver Falls, icy cold from the mountains, and half the town relaxes in its cool waters on this sweltering summer day, the Fourth of July, 2076.

14. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

15. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

are all these episodes just going to be remakes ? I hope not otherwise its pointless !

16. AKA

AKA Senior Member

17. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts Thread Starter

18. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

Let’s reboot Columbo staring Keegan-Michael Key next!

19. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Great episode of the 1980s Twilight Zone, the one about the Vegas Elvis impersonator who accidentally becomes the real Elvis through time-travel. Very, very clever show. I worked on the one about the JFK expert who went back in time to witness 11/22/63 and accidentally stopped the assassination, then had to figure out a way to "fix" it, which I thought was great.

The new CBS All Access show looks terrific to me, at least judging by the promos. And they're spending big money on it.

Solaris likes this.
  21. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...This is how many revivals of TTZ?

22. Solitaire1

If I remember correctly, it breaks down as follows:
    • The Original Series
    • Revival Series On CBS
    • Revival Series In Syndication (a continuation of the above series)
    • Revival Series On Fox

23. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

I don’t know, we have memories of these episodes being a certain way, actors at the top of their game not to mention the writers. I hope younger folks get into it but for us old guys we expect an A game:)
    Hey The Matrix was well done so it is possible... isn’t it?

24. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Those are the two episodes that always stood out for me too.

I really want them to get this right, as wary as I am because of the previous, rather flatly done reboots, but Peele is a smart guy, so here's hoping.

Vidiot likes this.
  25. AKA

AKA Senior Member

There was no revival series on Fox. Surely you’re thinking of the one on UPN hosted by Forest Whitaker.

Michael likes this.