Twilight Zone reboot with Jordan Peele - CBS All Access - Series Cancelled*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RickH, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

nope, done all naturale'...

2. Michael

WOW! so young!

Meng and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  3. Michael

never bothered or cared about Rod's upper lip. LOL. ; )

4. Michael

I happened to like that one while so many trashed it...some great episodes like Billy's Mumy and his daughter playing his part in the original eppy! too cool for school...It's A Good Life.

MikaelaArsenault and MikeInFla like this.
  5. Michael

too many...while some episodes were good they should have left it alone...

6. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

Agree. They both cut have been cut drastically without hurting the stories. I liked the comedian a lot better, language aside. I thought the ending of the second one was just plain (plane:nyah:) dumb.

7. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

According to the reviews I’ve read, the next two episodes to drop are better than the first two.. we shall see.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  8. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Does anyone know the episode that John Larroquette will be in?

905 likes this.
  9. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

The funny thing about the comedian ep was that when he started being 'funny', by being 'real', and the audience fell about laughing, I couldn't figure out why as the material simply wasn't funny in any way. They needed better material that actually was funny (like in say Crashing).

10. Michael

when did this start?

11. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Most of them barely qualified as jokes, as far as I could tell. He just referenced people he wasn't fond of, and people started laughing.

12. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

I was looking forward to watching the new TZ on CBS's prime time line up because I thought it would make sense to air on that channel seeing that's where the original was aired back in the '60's. Now that I found out "All Access" is a paid streaming subscription, I won't be watching. Didn't see the first episode.

And I'm not sure I want to watch an hour show on YouTube or the internet all together anyway. Never have with any show except maybe a PBS doc I was really interested in.

13. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

I love Twilight Zone! I started with it (primarily) when I was a young teen in the mid 80's. It was the 80's series that I liked. Then I went on to the original series when I saw those on cable tv and enjoyed them as well!
    The series that came about in the 2000's - I just didn't get into.

Now the new show! It was underwhelming.
    The show was 1/2 hour too long and the bad language throughout was not an authentic TZ experience to me.
    I felt like people who don't know TZ were put in charge to create this thing.

I did like the way the first episode looked. Great colors and shadows - it was engaging.

I will watch the 2nd episode and see how that is but so far I'm disappointed with this vulgar language direction.

14. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

I think the "vulgar language" was needed ! its not 1959 anymore and a lot of "comedy" acts all use swear words so using it in the episode probably felt right.

15. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

It's debatable I guess.

It bums me that I can't watch these in a family setting with my children because of this barrier that is put into it.
    It's a creative decision on their part.

16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Sign of the times. Not so long ago Star Trek used to be a family show...

17. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

I find I need to pre-watch some of the 80's TZ before I left my children see them. But sure, they've heard those words and worse at school but they don't have to hear it sanctioned by me.
    The 1st gen TZ - no problem.

As far as Star Trek I only made it as a fan through the original series and the TNG. Anything after that - I got over it.

18. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Watched the second episode first and was quite impressed. I love the fact that they honor the original series with the use of the Marius Constant theme music, and the fonts used look pretty authentic too. We'll be checking out the first episode soon, when some things going on this week settle down.

19. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Is the second episode posted on YouTube?

20. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

Not that I see.

21. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

I'm a bit underwhelmed by the first two episodes, I'm sad to say. I am a big Jordan Peele fan, *and* I love the original show. And I remember a few 80's episodes fondly.

I think these two episodes could have been written tighter in terms of length - everything is on demand now, there's nothing wrong with a show that's, say, 38 minutes long. As far as the plots, I thought the second one defied even the bizarre and abstract rules of The Twilight Zone somehow, which isn't easy since those rules can't really be defined. Just something off with the approach of that one ("Nightmare at 30,000 Feet"). The first one ("The Comedian") had the right idea, the right sense of irony, but the changes the character went through felt off, his arc felt rushed midway through, at the same time the episode started to drag once he lost our sympathy.

22. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

I'm 41 mins through this first ep & it's been a slog. Good premise - reminds me of the Twilight Zone 80s episode with the lady and the credit card* - but this one needs to be seriously tightened up.

*Edit: How nice; The Card is linked in this thread on the 2nd page. I remember I had watched that ep not too long ago.

23. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

No. I have CBS All Access.

24. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

I just watched the 2nd ep this morning. I think I liked it better than the 1st ep. It was shorter time-wise than the first ep too.

I'll just chill and keep watching.....

25. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Finished The Comedian and well, was that ending a tribute to The Shining or a ripoff? The trailer for the other episodes looked good but I'm not signing up for CBS All Access so guess my loss.