New UHQR by Analogue Productions/QRP - Axis: Bold as Love*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Nov 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

:laugh:

Back to the main performance ..........

2. dachada

dachada Senior Member

Clucking likes this.
  3. Gordon Johnson

Interesting copy date as 2007. It was issued in 2008, well according to the TP detail.

4. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Like I said, only ever seen one in the wild (and it is probably still in the same collection).

5. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

6. YEX 750-1

YEX 750-1 Long-winded Brother

I vaguely remember the reputation of the Classic Clarity formulation not being all that good? I think the original 180g Classics were pressed at RTI and the 200g later pressings by Classic at another plant?

But, back to UHQRs....

7. Gordon Johnson

It wasn't the vinyl formulation that was the problem. Take a listen to these test pressings, they are excellent.

The problem lay elsewhere.

8. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

The problem was Classic Records couldn’t get great, consistent results with their 200g pressings. Lots of noisy pressings and a rare crap shot to get a good one.

sonofjim likes this.
  9. Gordon Johnson

More or less spot on. Why the TPs and short runs are so good as they were not simply pushed out in numbers.

10. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

Not a crap shoot, every one I got was good.

11. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

I see what you mean though I seldom play my records on my TT, I prefer needledrops of them done by people with much superior set ups to mine.

It can also be helpful to purchasers if there's an aspect on more than one rip each by different rippers, both could possibly have too different, faulty or uncalibrated hardware though it's unlikley when the ripper is dedicated to the hobbie.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  12. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

[​IMG]

13. Todd Fredericks

You were lucky. It was a major issue at the time. It was common knowledge that there were issues with their 200g pressings. Many discussions about it here on the forum. Many of us spoke to the folks at CR and they were aware of it. They couldn’t get it right. Thankfully Chad’s team figured it out when they purchased their presses and started their Quality Record facilities.

izgoblin and nightenrock like this.
  14. Gordon Johnson

Indeed, issues with noisy clarity vinyl, issues with off centre punches, issues with warping and dishing. All seem centred around 200grm. Yet, there remains some crackinly good 200grms issued.

Pot luck I suppose.

15. Todd Fredericks

Yes, absolutely. If I was lucky to get a good one it sounded quite amazing. However, with all the hit and misses, more and more became misses. They used to send me test pressings of their different vinyl formulations to give feedback. The clarity vinyl was wonderful when it worked. Horrible when it didn’t. Many of us kept urging them to go back to 180g until they sorted out the 200g issues. Great company. I give them credit for starting the whole audiophile 45’s movement and also releasing many, many wonderful titles.

rxcory and Gordon Johnson like this.
  16. wpjs

wpjs Forum Resident

Guess I'm quite lucky.
    I have several 200g Classic records (Zeppelin I, IV, Pressence) and they all sound just as quiet as this new outstanding Hendrix UHQR

17. Todd Fredericks

You were very lucky. If I recall correctly, some of the problems had to do with the cooling process. Lots of dished, noisy vinyl. However, as Gordon pointed out, when you got a good one it sounded incredible. Great you got many good ones!

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  18. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Yes, I often kick myself for not having bought more of these Classic Vinyl titles when they were current but then I remember why. I didn’t trust their quality control. Rhino wasn’t great at the time either. Much has improved but Classic is gone. Long live UHQR I guess.

19. honestabe316

honestabe316 Analog Rebel

Just played my Stereo ABAL....being an owner of all of the One-Steps up to this point, i want to say its quieter than my One-Steps....i havent played my Bridge over troubled water or whats going on yet but this UHQR seems to give me a blacker background....im really loving this album but like many hede i dont have a decent copy to compare it too....

Yes Fragile is slated to be a One-Step offering i have heard. That is a decent choice i think

20. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

When they were forced to move from RTI (Bill Smith and then their own presses) I believe care in cleaning the manual presses used was neglected resulting in some noisy product. However 95% of Classic pressings I bought were 100% quiet. Some of the noisiest were at the end, even one bought from TheMusic.com with hand select option. I think worst 200 grams I have for noisy backgrounds are BOTW and Tapestry 200 gram bought shortly before or after the sale to AP. Had a couple of Gabriel 33 rpm that were noisy on outer tracks which I replaced later with better copies. Rest were fine bar odd return for a one off fault. The clarity pressings I have do not have perfectly quiet backgrounds but nothing really intrusive.

21. Todd Fredericks

It says a lot when a pressing plant (RTI) says no more. Yes, I recall the quality was on the decline and then got really worse towards the end. At that point I would just buy the 140g versions if available and take my chances with the other titles that were only 200g. Again, great label but sadly had some serious issues towards the end. They out out some really great releases and took more chances than a lot of the other audiophile labels.

22. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

Yes I was here when all those discussions were going on. In my opinion the complaints were about as valid and as minor as the complaints about scuffs on liners are now.
    The constant petty griping by collectors here who want an unreal level of perfection hurt that company.
    I bought 48 titles from them, all good, all treasures. They were offering AAA masterings when MFSL and DCC had tanked and not yet gotten back on their feet.
    The discussions were really short-sighted and selfish and still bother me. I only wish, like everybody else, that I had bought more.

That's why I had no hesitation pre-ordering the Santana and the UHQR mono and stereo, and all the others since.

23. marcb

marcb Senior Member

There are intentional quasi-surround effects on almost every song on Electric Ladyland. Not all are swirly panning though.

24. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

When was “the end” of Classic records. I bave gotten all the titles I wanted save one from Classic. I dare not state which one it is here for fear of ramping up the asking price LOL.

25. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Gordo, there are Clarity test pressings out there of albums that were never issued by Classic Records commercially. I once owned a Clarity test press of Who Are You that was at 45RPM. To my knowledge, Classic only issued it at 33RPM.

Too bad I still don’t have it. I could post pictures of the box and the LPs, in order for it to pass your ridiculous sniff test.

Then again you’d still probably call it a fake.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.