New UHQR by Analogue Productions/QRP - Axis: Bold as Love*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Nov 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Id rather see Electric Ladyland. Another Axis isnt needed.

2. Terry

Terry Senior Member

I cannot imagine that they would be this pricey.

3. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

Damn. I was hoping for Pet Sounds.

4. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I haven’t read up on APs UHQR process. My question is, why will these new versions of Axis sound better than what Bernie Grundman has already cut for Legacy & Classic Records?

5. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Cause they cost more and are in a box!!!
    Silly you!
    :D

6. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Why? Always thought this sounded amazing and the 2010 remasters are insanely sweet.

Drew769, aoxomoxoa, jhm and 1 other person like this.
  7. Strat-Mangler

I see this mentioned here and there. A myth is all that is.

The *real* story is he lost the first mix of "If 6 Was 9" in a taxi.

"Compared to the other tracks on Axis: Bold As Love, "If 6 Was 9" suffers from an unusually large amount of tape noise, dropouts, and overall "rough" sound quality. According to Hendrix biographer John McDermott, the master tape used for the album was a quarter-inch open-reel tape belonging to bassist Noel Redding, containing an early rough mix of the song. This technically inferior copy (intended for a home tape player) had to be used at the last minute since the album's final stereo master tape had been accidentally lost, and "If 6 Was 9" was the one song that Hendrix and engineer Eddie Kramer could not satisfactorily remix. They reportedly had to use a clothes iron to remove wrinkles in the badly mishandled tape, copied it onto new studio-quality tape, and inserted it into the final album master with no further modification."

8. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I am down for the Mono Axis...

9. dewiecox

dewiecox Forum Resident

You can get a virtually unbeatable mono cut of Axis for like $20.

10. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked Thread Starter

I don’t get having two UHQRs of the same title (mono and stereo). Eight prior UHQRs (not including Red Norvo and 1812 Overature) and now there are two of the same title? The completist in me might have to get one of each.

Whoops, just answered my own question.

joshm2286 likes this.
  11. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Maybe it’s my old Canadian pressing. Not so sweet.

12. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

What's not to get? Two different mixes/ two different listening experiences of a classic, beloved rock album. I'm very glad that they are taking this route with releasing both mixes. I'll be jumping on copies of both when (if?) pre-orders ordering is possible, so long as the price doesn't make me retch (I'll be thankful enough if the price does not eclipse/"raise the bar" of MOFI's UD1S series.)

joshm2286 and dewiecox like this.
  13. Strat-Mangler

Do yourself a favor and get a 2010 stereo remaster. Night & day. Really!

Joe Spivey and Chemguy like this.
  14. teag

teag Forum Resident

What exactly makes up a UHQR? Is it a 1 step pressing like the MFSL releases? Is it 45RPM?

How will it differ from AP's other releases, which are already high quality?

bluejimbop likes this.
  15. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

And Legacy pressings are AAA (at least the original 3 Hendrix studio albums).
    Certainly AP will up hold that tradition.

joshm2286 likes this.
  16. Slick Willie

The UHQR has a flat profile (at least the originals), and it's supposed to be a one step...at least when it was announced a few years back.
    From the AP site:

What is the big deal about "flat" records? Were you to bisect a regular record you'd see that the grooves slope downward towards the center of the groove area and then upward towards the label area. Thus perfect azimuth is compromised as well as anti-skating. UHQR records are perfectly flat both at the outer lip and all the way across to the lead-out groove area

And:

First they will be "one step." That is, instead of the lacquer being plated to produce a father, then plated again to produce a mother from which stampers are produced, the plated lacquer will be used directly to press records. This means fewer records can be pressed since once the stamper is spent no more can be sourced from the "father" because it was used to press records.
    Read more at Analogue Productions to Resurrect Deluxe UHQR Record Production With Two Bill Evans Classics

17. teag

teag Forum Resident

Thanks for posting this. Should be interesting to hear.

Looks like these will be 33rpm.

18. Slick Willie

While 45 will have more impact sonically, I would prefer a single disc at 33.

19. Strat-Mangler

Same here. Tired of flipping discs after 1-3 songs. I therefore don't buy any 45rpm albums any longer.

I like to sink back into my sofa, close my eyes and let the music take me places. Hard to stay in that fun hypnotized mental state when I have to constantly get up and flip/change discs.

joshm2286, Jrr, marcfeld69 and 5 others like this.
  20. Slick Willie

:righton:

hal jones and Man at C&A like this.
  21. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I wish people looked after them better in the 60s. I've never found a decent original of any Jimi Hendrix Experience album. I have the UK Track originals and they play OK without major faults, but they've all seen better days.

DHamilton likes this.
  22. teag

teag Forum Resident

I respect the 33rpm desire and sometimes prefer not to get up and turn the LP also. But for $100 I want the best sonics. Especially for a release that is already pretty darn good on 33.

23. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

I have no problem with 45rpm, the better the sonics the less I mind getting physical and dragging my creaky old bones over to the turntable.

24. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Already have the Classic mono Axis, cut by Bernie, so I'm satisfied.

joshm2286, ssmith3046, hazard and 7 others like this.
  25. teag

teag Forum Resident

Definitely. And based on the physical shape of over half of the adults, they can use the exercise!
    :laugh:

dobyblue likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.