New UHQR by Analogue Productions/QRP - Axis: Bold as Love*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Nov 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

QA- Quality Assurance .
    The process by which a product is checked on production.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  2. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

That's why you do the ones that were not. :)

First three DMB albums were all recorded to analogue tape as per Steve Lillywhite (Crash was just cut AAA last year)
    First two Mansun records were all recorded to analogue tape as per Paul Draper whose about to open up for Steven Wilson on the US tour. Kscope just acquired the Mansun catalogue.
    Counting Crows August and Everything After already AAA release.
    First couple albums from Verve/The Verve AAA
    Nirvana all Geffen studio albums recorded analogue
    Pearl Jam at least Ten was recorded analogue
    Most Soundgarden albums were recorded analogue
    Most Tool albums were recorded analogue

Even if only 5% of albums from the 90s, and I'm totally pulling that number out my ****, were recorded to tape it would certainly be welcomed to see them get a proper audiophile vinyl AAA release.

It would certainly help me justify the cost.

joshm2286, marcfeld69, hazard and 4 others like this.
  3. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I'm with you on Tool. Of course, once we get into peoples personal favorites, the selections become less appealing or even some groups I haven't heard of.

4. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

From the winter catalogue:

Also coming soon Hybrid SACDs of Are You Experienced and Axis Bold As Love - newly mastered by Bernie Grundman stereo and mono mixes.

marcfeld69, bluejimbop, g.z. and 14 others like this.
  5. Gordon Johnson

While I put this up with a degree of tongue in cheek attitude the point I make is simple.
    While I find [just from listening to some of my own collection] differences in differing applications, be it half speed mastering, Clarity vinyl etc. It is often almost impossible to say what is making that difference.
    Whenever we get a different application we also get [without exception] a higher Quality Assurance and often a limited run.

This begs the question, just what is making that difference? Is it the type of cut, the type of plastic, the weight or is it simply that the biggest impact is the short run and the attention to detail?

Great we look like getting the mono versions of AYE and ABAL in digital format at long last. As SACD then the wait was worth it.

joshm2286, marcfeld69 and tdavis0903 like this.
  6. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Never thought I'd see the day... :yikes:

SoundDoctor and jhm like this.
  7. supermd

supermd Senior Member

:goodie:

jhm likes this.
  8. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Axis mono was done very well by Classic Records. They clearly knocked that one out of the park. As far as the most appealing on that upcoming UHQR list, I had to rub my eyes at the three Beatles titles. Now THOSE would be monster releases, especially if Chad's process can mirror what was done with the first three MFSL One Step pressings.

joshm2286, marcfeld69 and wwright like this.
  9. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

Just to be clear to everyone AP have only announced Axis Bold As Love - mono and stereo vinyl boxes and Are You Experienced and Axis Bold As Love SACDs with mono and stereo mixes.

All other lists / titles in this thread are wish lists only :)

10. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Things were still mostly analog through the early-mid 90’s in my experience. I’d venture to say that number is a lot greater than 5%

11. ParanoidAndroid

ParanoidAndroid Forum Resident

According to the new Acoustic Sounds catalogue, they are also releasing Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon and Wish You Were Here on SACD (stereo and 5.1 surround sound) in 2018.

joshm2286 and Gordon Johnson like this.
  12. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

Yes - probably needs a new thread on these

13. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Thanks. I will order both Axis and Ladyland. I’ve got the Classic Axis, but what the heck.

joshm2286 likes this.
  14. ParanoidAndroid

ParanoidAndroid Forum Resident

Jellis77 likes this.
  15. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Yes, SACD is definitely not UHQR.

MoonPool likes this.
  16. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Shame they don't put out the quad mix of DSOTM as they're obviously not doing a new 5.1 mix and the existing SACD of that mix is still easy to find for $20 or so - meanwhile the quad mix is only on the Blu-ray disc in the Immersion set which is usually around $100.

ODShowtime likes this.
  17. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Would also be interested to know if the SACDs will be analogue direct to DSD as some of the AP titles (Tea for the Tillerman) were oddly analogue > PCM > DSD despite the vinyl of the same title being cut AAA.

joshm2286 likes this.
  18. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

They are being advertised as pure DSD mastering, whatever that means.

19. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I hope they give us Electric Lady Land, as well.

DonnyMe, Jimi Bat and jhm like this.
  20. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

:goodie::goodie::goodie::goodie:

Wonder how they handle the sequencing on the debut. UK and American versions?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  21. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Those UHQR releases will look good in the collection

[​IMG]

22. Gordon Johnson

Hopefully they sound just as good!

23. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Gordon, I'm not sure if you have heard any of the MFSL one step records, but up to now they have been amazing. I think the one step will sound better than any thing we have now.:righton:

24. tdavis0903

tdavis0903 Forum Resident

Could you take us through that collection, love this album and you have a great variety there! I'm more a CD person so especially interested in the Discogs info for those particularly, but love the vinyl also.

joshm2286 likes this.
  25. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

How much is this thing gonna cost? If it's more than $100, then even if it sounds like Jimi rose from the grave, grabbed a Strat and a Marshall amp, and took up residence in my living room, it's just t0o much for me. There's so much other good music out there to "invest" in, and only so many hours to listen to it all.

Not trying to harsh anyone's buzz about this release. If you're excited, I'm happy for you!

joshm2286 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.