New UHQR by Analogue Productions/QRP - Axis: Bold as Love*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Nov 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

Agreed on vinyl prices . . . I’d pay over a hundo for zombie Hendrix at my house, though.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    bluejimbop, ODShowtime and Fred68 like this.
  2. mycroft

mycroft Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    (from Vinyl Gourmet on Facebook).

Looks like two releases (mono and stereo).

3. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

The cds are nothing special a Japan release in with two different USA releases. I would wait and get the Bernie Grundman Hybrid SACD. The mastering BG did on the Cry of Love and Rainbow bridge cds was the best, IMO.

The records are an original Polydor, some MCA digital Masters, Analog Back to Black and Legacy masters, AAA Newbury Comic mono colored vinyl, Classic Records Mono, Japanese Universal master.

joshm2286 and FashionBoy like this.
  4. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

I'm sure they will :wiggle:but they are costing an awful lot of money!

Most folk will [and rightly so] be happy with the Legacy pressings at a fraction of the price.
    I look forward to losing my virginity along with parting with one hell of a lot of cash!

Btw, what is the Polydor pressing?
    My eye was caught by the only vinyl you displayed that I don't own, the Japanese Universal. Can you post more detail on that on? I assume its the same mix that appears on the Track Records / Reprise Records / Barclay stereo?

5. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I'm not sure what the mix is on the Japanese pressing. You know more about that than I do.
    I now remember selling the Polydor, I didn't like it much.

6. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident

What it your go to version?

ssmith3046 likes this.
  7. mycroft

mycroft Forum Resident

Apparently, uploading a picture is beyond my capabilities, so I will instead refer to the Facebook page of Vinyl Gourmet (Portugese record store, highly recommended).
    There is a picture of the releases with the caption "stereo release limited to 5,000 copies, mono release limited to 1,500 copies".

8. Gordon Johnson

Any release date as yet?

9. Bigbudukks

Bigbudukks Older, but no wiser.

It looks like I'm distinctly in the minority on this one. after I saw Easy Rider I bought the album (for If 6 Was 9) and hated it. I played it the one time and got rid of it. so now what do I do? If I buy this at all it will be only to resell it to someone who actually wants to listen to it. Damn! Why couldn't it have been Electric Ladyland? :disgust:

10. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

The AAA legacy version, but the back to black version is also nice. I grew up with the stereo version, so I prefer stereo, but the classic records mono is really good.

dobyblue and Rkellner like this.
  11. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

The AAA legacy version is really amazing. I think for this release i’ll go for the sacd.

12. Jimmy Cooper

Jimmy Cooper Forum Resident

Is it from 2017?

13. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

No, it is from 2010. It is still in print and is not at all expensive.

Tommyboy and Jimmy Cooper like this.
  14. Jimmy Cooper

Thank. For me it's a little confusing. There's a Legacy AAA record from 2010 and from 2013 (200g) also.

The one you mentioned must be this one: The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Axis: Bold As Love

So this is THE one to buy?

15. Bigbudukks

Apparently it is. I wasn't aware there was an additioal pressing in 2013 as well. I don't know what the source used was but since Jimi's sister has been so careful with his legacy it wouldn't surprise me if it was also mastered from the master tape. As an aside, those of us who received a phone call from Chad when we were unable to get the One Step of Abraxas from Acoustic Sounds may well remember him saying something about Music Direct not being able to get their hands on any UHQR's if they kept that up. So......who's going to order theirs from Music Direct when the official annoncement is made? :biglaugh:

Jimmy Cooper likes this.
  16. Gordon Johnson

ABAL 2013 was mono while the reissue in 2014 of the stereo ABAL were the same as the 2010's but fresh stamper and a different pressing plant.

Maybe this helps:
    Quick reference

bluejimbop, Tullman and Jimmy Cooper like this.
  17. Jimmy Cooper

Thank you for the informations!

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  18. Bigbudukks

Thanks. That's a great reference! I added it to my profile on discogs. I can see it coming in handy in the future.

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  19. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

So, does anyone know the price of the first title? It appears to be a single disc release, which potentially puts it sonically behind the MoFi 1-Steps.

20. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Maybe as Analogue Productions does both 33 1/3 and 45 rpm releases of some titles already, so too maybe will they release 33 1/3 and (later on) 45 rpm releases of their UHQR series titles as well. I don't think this is so far fetched of an idea, really. Of course, I have always liked the potential idea of them (MOFI & AP) packaging BOTH 33 1/3 and 45 rpm cuts of the same title IN ONE box package altogether. This way you would get to enjoy different fidelity and listening experience options at your own choice and leisure. Deluxe indeed.

21. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Wish there was an SACD release as well :(

jhm likes this.
  22. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

There is - for this and Are You Experienced, mono and stereo. I believe it’s mentioned in the other thread.

Laservampire likes this.
  23. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

If AP pulls a fast one by offering it at 33rpm and then later offering it at 45rpm, I would be very disappointed. Many of us would end up buying two copies. I would prefer 45rpm.

FashionBoy likes this.
  24. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Of course, the original UHQRs were 33.

But $50 for the sumptuous packaging with 1 LP is one thing. $100 would be too much.

25. irwin69

irwin69 Forum Resident

Here are details from email which subscription series people just got:

This will be a definitive, handmade, limited-run reissue and is the debut effort of Analogue Productions' reintroduction of the revered UHQR originally introduced by JVC Japan in the 1980s.

This UHQR is newly remastered by Bernie Grundman from the original analog master tapes. Each UHQR will be pressed at Acoustic Sounds' industry-leading pressing plant, Quality Record Pressings (QRP), using a specially-formulated, proprietary Clarity Vinyl on a manual Finebilt press with attention paid to every single detail of every single record. The 200-gram records will feature the same flat profile that helped to make the original UHQR so desirable. From the lead-in groove to the run-out groove, there is no pitch to the profile, allowing the customer's stylus to play truly perpendicular to the grooves from edge to center. Clarity Vinyl allows for the purest possible pressing and the most visually stunning presentation. Every UHQR will be hand inspected upon pressing completion, and only the truly flawless will be allowed to go to market. Each UHQR will be packaged in a deluxe box and will include a booklet detailing the entire process of making a UHQR along with a hand-signed certificate of inspection. This will be a truly deluxe, collectible product.

The Axis: Bold As Love UHQR will include a 16-page booklet featuring recording information from the sessions at Olympic Studios in London and an essay written by Brad Tolinski, former Editor of Guitar World Magazine.

We have not yet specified a release date, but we do plan to have the title available sometime by late Summer 2018. More UHQRs will follow.

Each Axis UHQR will be available as two versions: Mono and Stereo. The Stereo release will be limited to 5,000 copies, while the Mono release will be limited to 1,500. The deluxe boxes will be gold foil numbered. Each copy will retail for $100.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.