New universal players from Reavon

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tartifless, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello,
    Anyone heard about Reavon ubr x100 and x200 universal players ?
    They are supposed to be released end of march.

Monty12 and SinnerSaint like this.
  2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Never heard of this company. Looks interesting, will wait for reviews. Not sure if these are Europe only?

Monty12 likes this.
  3. Tartifless

So far I will just consider these to be Chinese Oppo clones, I hope I am wrong but seeing the form factor, size, back panel, etc. it just looks like that.

audiomixer and Madness like this.
  4. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Looks great, a French company.
    I’m thinking that even though Oppo no longer wants to sell players, the factory is willing to build for someone else.
    I notice Burr Brown DAC chips, significant difference from the ESS in the Oppos
    A German site is showing a price of €1599 for the top model, that’s almost 2K in USD

*Edit: appears the base model outputs HDMI only , i.e. a transport like the Sony UBP-X800(M2) and Cambridge CXUHD

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    Monty12, bajaed and patient_ot like this.
  5. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

6. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

It’s being claimed elsewhere that they’re based on recent Pioneer players, not Oppos

7. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

It lists SACD playback, but it doesn't have the SACD symbol on the player.

8. Looks more based on the Oppos from pictures and features set.

9. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

It mentions BB PCM1690 DAC chips
    That looks to be a model that's been around for 10+ years
    Looked over the data sheet, see no mention of DSD (unless I missed it...) so not quite sure how this player will handle SACD.

10. Kristofferabild

Kristofferabild Forum Resident

The DSD logo is there at the bottom though.

Monty12 and F1nut like this.
  11. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Ah, at the bottom of the page. Good eyes.

Monty12 and Kristofferabild like this.
  12. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

That would diminish the value proposition for me substantially. At the price point of the higher model, I'd be looking at other options anyway.

McLover likes this.
  13. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

Terminals
    • HDMI 1 Out for Audio/Video

• HDMI 2 for Audio Only

• Digital Coaxial Out

• Digital Optical Out

• USB In (1 USB 2.0 Front, 1 USB 3.0 Rear)

• Ethernet

14. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

No analogue outs?

15. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

It looks like the 100 does not, but the 200 does.

Darren Richardson likes this.
  16. Luxmancl38

Luxmancl38 Forum Resident

The 200 has 7.1 and 5.1 analog outs. The 100 doesn't.

Darren Richardson likes this.
  17. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

DVD Audio?

Darren Richardson and audiomixer like this.
  18. BlueJean

BlueJean Well-Known Member

" Dvd Audio ?"

Logos at the bottom of the page include Dvd with Audio/Video listed underneath so it looks likely :)

~M~

Darren Richardson and audiomixer like this.
  19. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Rather more like the Pioneer BDP-S450 from styling. I like the 200, so will keep an eye on this one.

20. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I just emailed Reavon asking if their players would be available in the US in the future. It’d be great if they were. They could partner with a company like OT Services to provide US support. OT Services is currently providing support for Oppo players.

ti-triodes likes this.
  21. Tartifless

Looks like the mother company is Archisoft, they are also the ones owning Zappiti.

So might me more serious than just opportunistic reseller ...

eddiel likes this.
  22. Kaskade10729

Kaskade10729 Senior Member

I've been eyeing these, as well, and have been discussing them on other enthusiast forums; indeed, they do resemble Oppo's UDP-203 very much, right down to the disc drawer design. We couldn't get a 203 when we were shopping for a UHD player, as the company had already closed shop, so I bought the next best thing, which was Cambridge Audio's CXUHD (a direct clone of the 203). However, that unit developed a weird "ticking" sound only when playing DVDs that the repair center could never fix, even after sending it out three times and having the loader replaced.

We then moved on to a Panasonic DP-UB9000, keeping the CXUHD as a backup (instead of selling it), but while this unit is built extremely well, with tank-like aluminum elements and a ridiculously heavy weight, the processor's limitations get under my skin, and the player just irks me for day-to-day usability.

These issues range from a lack of a front panel LED standby/power indicator to no resume playback functionality once a disc is removed, a stripped-down front display panel that offers nothing but time elapsed information, no zooming feature via the remote to control aspect ratios of older DVD content such as non-anamorphic discs, no automatic stretching feature for 4:3 (full screen) DVD content like the Oppos and Cambridge have, no Source Direct feature (personally not a negative for me), no SACD/DVD-A support (again, not a personal negative for me), unnecessarily complex menu systems, redundant and unnecessary picture "modes" and settings for each type of media being played, lack of the ability to adjust picture settings unless a disc is playing in the drive, pretty poor 480i de-interlacing for DVD upscaling to 4K (can't even compare this to the Oppos) and more.

If I wasn't still paying off the UB9000 (and will be, for awhile, unfortunately, because this deck was so damn expensive), I would be seriously looking at the cheaper of these two units...but I am unsure if they're going to be available in America, or if their power supplies will be able to be modified for such use. Further, I don't know if these Reavons will offer the aspect ratio controls I mentioned above, which is the most important feature to me because we own a ton of 4:3 and non-anamorphic DVDs (we have been forced to begin rebuying these on Blu-ray because of the Panasonic's inability to let me play these discs the way I want).

It's good to know, though, that someone else is stepping up to the plate with some premium hardware for physical media enthusiasts in a day and age when streaming is the norm and convenience over quality is king, albeit from some strange bedfellows (first Tascam's announcement of its professional rackmountable 4K UHD player, and now Reavon).

PhantomStranger and head_unit like this.
  23. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I heard back from Reavon as far as availability in the US...

Hello Bill,

Thanks for contacting the REAVON team
    Indeed, soon REAVON will be available in the USA
    Just register on our website, we will keep you posted

Thanks a lot, have a nice day,

Jacques (Reavon)

That's great news in my opinion. There's a need to have a company step in and fill a void in the universal player market that was created when Oppo Digital stopped production.

24. Kaskade10729

Kaskade10729 Senior Member

I replied to your response over at AVS; wish I would have known these were coming out before I bought my UB9000. Though I still don't know if these offer the aspect ratio controls for SD DVD content...

25. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Alvin Tostig has a son today ...

caravan70, uzn007, audiomixer and 2 others like this.