New Version of the Beatles ‘Let it Be’ Film to be Released!?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mickey2, Sep 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mercuryvenus

mercuryvenus Forum Resident

This reminded me of this totally lovely clip of George watching footage of him and his buddies performing This Boy. I love it because it shows him actually enjoying Beatles stuff.

2. planckera

planckera I Hate Hate

Would this have been their first album cover?

[​IMG]
    ;)

Generation42, supermd, jmxw and 7 others like this.
  3. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

The writer of this article has taken a great deal of liberty. George wasn't present when Paul said it, having quit the band 3 days before!

Mickey2 and MPLRecords like this.
  4. tonylevin'ssuitcase

tonylevin'ssuitcase Forum Resident

Quite likely! And John would have lost interest by the time it came out and we'd never hear of Yes again. Probably best for all concerned it didn't happen that way.

planckera likes this.
  5. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

I wonder, if the new documentary is indeed coming out in October, will the LIB50 box set be released that month as well, or will Apple release LIB50 in May on the anniversaryy separate from the new film. I could see pros and cons for both. Selfishly, I hope LIB50 is in May so we get it sooner ha. It would also be nice to have all this material on hand for a while before ramping up to the film.

wgb113 likes this.
  6. mercuryvenus

I'm slightly surprised they're not releasing it all at once for the anniversary, but I guess there was some sort of delay ... I have to imagine the original intent was for the film to come out for the anniversary.

beatleroadie likes this.
  7. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Ah, yeah . Thanks!
    I knew “There’s a Place” didn’t sound right to me, but I knew someone would jump in with the correct song if I was wrong .
    Thanks for setting it straight !

slane likes this.
  8. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I’ve already been corrected.:D

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  9. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

THIS BLU-RAY ISN'T LOSSLESS!?!?!?

:cussing:

Klassik and Who Cares like this.
  10. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Paul did NOT block the film. He has said that he was not the hold up eventhough he knew that the film would sometimes reflect badly on him!

11. mercuryvenus

He didn't block this version of it, but Paul and Ringo didn't want the original one released for a long time. George didn't either.

12. Ern

Ern Senior Member

The original is a drag anyway, so bring on the new one!

Klassik, fallbreaks and marmalade166 like this.
  13. Kim Olesen

I am pretty sure Paul was talking about the original version. The interview where he said this is (as i remember it) at least 5 years old. Paul pushed for a release of the original movie already when LIBN was done.

BeatleJWOL, Who Cares, Dean R and 2 others like this.
  14. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Given that they have Jackson on board maybe they can go half way back to the earlier idea for the Beatles last UA film and have the Beatles spoken and sung lines from the film come out of the mouths of CGI hobbits and wizards. Maybe an image of Shelob for Yoko. It could brighten the mood considerably. Imagine Frodo telling Sauron to Get Back to Mordor before traveling the Long And Winding Road home to the Shire.

aina and Klassik like this.
  15. coco77

coco77 Forum Resident

Agreed! (for me it’s bearded McCartney :love:)

But I must say, historical revisionism isn’t always a bad thing. If we can get closer to the truth, that’s good, no? I really don’t want a whitewash, but based on what I’ve read and listened to from the session tapes, the original film is far from the full story, and was edited poorly.

I am hoping the new film is balanced and shows the good and the bad, and maybe corrects some misconceptions. I kind of doubt that’s what’s going to happen, but I have my fingers crossed.

aina, somnar, tteal and 4 others like this.
  16. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

"Never you mind!!!!!"

17. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

All I want is full music performances and not 30 second clips, whether they be rehearsals, Apple or the roof.

18. beatleroadie

I have a feeling we won't get much of full songs that never cut away from the band performance in the film itself, but that the blu-ray will have things like that as bonus scenes, as well as the full complete rooftop performance that just cuts back and forth between the cameras on the band and none of the street or Apple office's stuff. Just a guess.

steve_miller and somnar like this.
  19. Kim Olesen

Or at least a soundtrack album containingvthe full performances.

Mike Visco likes this.
  20. beatleroadie

You're right, that must have been the initial goal. Had to be. The question now, is do they delay the music release as well, or keep the music release in May. Crazy as it sounds, it might be too late to change the music release date, based on all that's involved and planned, etc.

mercuryvenus likes this.
  21. beatleroadie

If LIB50 comes out in MAY, and the film in OCT, there should absolutely be a 1CD/1LP "Get Back" OST with the music that's in the film and a few other things and snippets that don't make the box set.

Kim Olesen likes this.
  22. dvakman

dvakman stalking the dread moray eel

At some point, Peter Jackson is going to have to take a long, hard look at all the footage and come to the realization that he's going to need to sprinkle a little Goldberg in there to bring back that Beatle magic again.

Klassik likes this.
  23. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

IMO it should come out in May but I've Got A Feeling that they'll hold it back for the holiday shopping season and release sometime in the Fall.

24. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

I’m talking about a creative and out of the ordinary movie. Not just a straight documentary. Which has its place, but as you state, has been done. The fullness of Let It Be, which has not been released in its naked totality for good reason, is problematic and incomplete.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  25. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Yes to pairing Let It Be with Abbey Road. Toward resolution and celebration, as you state. Because there’s a very good reason why Let It Be the movie has never been released.

Klassik likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.