New Version of the Beatles ‘Let it Be’ Film to be Released!?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mickey2, Sep 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Per wiki:
    The film was first released on VHS, Betamax and LaserDisc in 1981 by Magnetic Video, and on RCA CED videodisc in 1982.[46]

2. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

There is footage of them recording it (longer version was on YouTube but got taken down by Apple):

Hopefully in the film it will be a better angle because I remember in the longer version the camera bizarrely focused on Yoko the whole time.

supermd, aina, marmalade166 and 10 others like this.
  3. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

The laser discs were prone to rot, making a functional copy increasingly challenging to locate. My “Get Back Journals II” succumbed to rot as well. I sense a Rutle-themed pattern. :)

edenofflowers, boggs, jmxw and 4 others like this.
  4. J Alesait

J Alesait Forum Resident

Is it known how much percentage of the whole sessions (both Twickenham and Apple) was recorded on audio tape, and how much was filmed?
    Until recently, I've always thought that everything that we have recorded audio of was also filmed (say, 90% of the sessions were preserved in audio and film) but it seems it's not the case.
    Maybe something like 90% in audio and 40% in footage?
    It raises the question of why they would record only sound and no images... what would be the point?

5. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

There is more sound than image because audio tape was much cheaper than film (and daily film processing). By running two audio recorders somewhat continuously (this becomes more common as the sessions wear on), they were assured that there would be audio to go with nearly all the images, and there would be “wild” audio as well that could be laid over other images as needed.

It’s impossible to determine what percentage of the sessions were not recorded, particularly very early on when filming and recording were more sporadic (there was only a single sound deck used on day 1 and fewer than 3 hours of audio were captured).

6. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Alcoholics Anonymous for Audiophiles ?

7. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

My name is Joe, and I'm an audiophile...

8. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

I have the "official" VHS-grainy and mono. A "cardboard epitaph" to quote a certain Beatle... A local dealer had the Laser Disc and played it for me. It was as bad quality as the VHS. As we have discussed elsewhere-there are boots of Apple Studio onward in stereo.

RayS and DRM like this.
  9. radiomd2000

radiomd2000 Forum Resident

Yes, and you can all drop by my house to watch the RCA SelectaVision CED VideoDisc version, that is if you bring a working player, a standard definition TV with inputs that match the output of the player, and oh yes the cabling as well, because I haven't had any of that for years and years. A splendid time is guaranteed for some.

musicfan37, Zeki and Klassik like this.
  10. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

VHS, Betamax. LaserDisc, and a lawsuit.

Dan

musicfan37, supermd, jmxw and 6 others like this.
  11. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

I remember that one - "For You Blue" :)

jmxw and Klassik like this.
  12. Klassik

Klassik Guerilla BeatLOLogist

Ah yes. The incredible US Number One single that chart statistics have forgotten!

PIGGIES and Odysseus like this.
  13. Klassik

'When I said 'the most miserable sessions on Earth', I was talking about that morning when I put on inadequate socks, that's all.
    The rest of the time I was as happy as the day is long '
    -John Lennon

14. Klassik

It IS indeed a top ten INCREDIBLY STRANGE FACT. I'm not sure whose attendance I'm more flummoxed at.
    Also, who at Apple was the bright spark who thought 'Let's invite Cyn and Jane. I bet they'll want to see who their man went off with' and turned out to be right?!!

aina, ParloFax and Tim 2 like this.
  15. bewareofchairs

I can see them a having a morbid curiousity. Would be interested to know what they thought.

Klassik likes this.
  16. Odysseus

Odysseus Forum Resident

Too late to ask Cynthia her thoughts.

17. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Yoko was the elephant in the room. The Emperors with no clothes on were also present.

Tim 2 and Klassik like this.
  18. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

Clever quote of Mimi :laughup:

Klassik likes this.
  19. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

I stated earlier somewhere that I don`t think footage was shot from above, just a photo made.
    I just saw a fan-edit by Pippin Productions on FB of Get Back (the song) and it had a tiny bit of filming from above in Twickenham, so I was wrong.

somnar and DRM like this.
  20. KaptKopter

KaptKopter Forum Resident

21. bewareofchairs

Well, yeah.

22. Phil147

Phil147 Forum Resident

And Jane won't talk about her thoughts either...

Odysseus likes this.
  23. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Klassik likes this.
  24. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Apple invited the Beatles themselves to the Let It Be film premiere. They all declined.
    Apple invited the current families of the Beatles to the premiere. They all declined.
    Apple invited the current friends of the Beatles to the premiere. They all declined.
    Apple invited ex-wives and ex-girlfriends of the Beatles to the premiere. They accepted.

:crazy:

25. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Cristiano Cortellazzi Forum Resident

It was a dirty job Arnie, but someone had to do it.

Klassik and Arnold Grove like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.