New Version of the Beatles ‘Let it Be’ Film to be Released!?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mickey2, Sep 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

With regard to the song "All Things Must Pass", George even gave it away first to Billy Preston, who released the song on his Encouraging Words album --- which came out about 2-3 months BEFORE George's All Things Must Pass album. (I do think Billy's approach was much too light-hearted, though, and doesn't capture the reflectiveness and majesty of George's version).

2. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

I don't think it is Billy's finest moment. I do prefer George's version. His delivery suits the music better and I think the term 'majesty' is very good way of describing the track in George's hands. I think the Beatles track 'Let it Be' also does have a quality of majesty too.

lordcat, Paulwalrus, ronbow and 3 others like this.
  3. Arnold Grove

And "Her Majesty" too... :hide:

Lewisboogie and Somerset Scholar like this.
  4. Somerset Scholar

The Beatles didn't do B side filler!

Pauly?????

5. Somerset Scholar

I love the change of mood from Something to Maxwell. It's what The Beatles wanted.

6. Mr. Bewlay

Mr. Bewlay It Is The Business Of The Future To Be Dangerous.

So, did the new version of the Let It Be movie come out yet?

7. jammincrowe

jammincrowe Forum Resident

agree. And if John wrote those edgy lyrics about a serial killer to that bouncy melody it would be viewed differently in The Beatles universe for sure

8. jammincrowe

jammincrowe Forum Resident

YNHMYM Is, in my opinion, the best song on The CD album.

9. sws2000

sws2000 Forum Resident

Didn't John and George despise it, and have veto power?

10. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

:agree: And imagine him sitting there through those sessions thinking, hey I’m sitting on “Let It Be,” “The Long and Winding Road,” “Two of Us.”

BellaLuna and EdwinM like this.
  11. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

On another thread that is looking at Lennon's solo career, recent discussion was about Jealous Guy. In my mind, at the top of the list of ALL his work.

Since he had the song done as early as '68 as Child Of Nature, what if he nailed the Jealous Guy lyrics in time for Abbey Road? My thought would be to relegate Maxwell to a B side, and drop Jealous Guy right there. Side A would now be John heavy, with a totally different feel.

To me, Octopuses' Garden and Maxwell are just too much together on one side.

Kim Olesen likes this.
  12. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

"Junk" would be interesting in the Maxwell spot, too. Demoed at Esher in May '68, of course, but also when promoting McCartney, Paul said of 'Junk' that it was supposed to be on Abbey Road but "something happened." I wonder if Paul planned to record it for AR but realized they were out of space on the record (47 minutes), or maybe John said they had enough McCartney songs already--haha.

Of all the '68/'69 primordial Beatles tracks, I think "Junk" and "All Things Must Pass" were the closest to making it on Beatles LPs.

Side A
    1. Come Together
    2. Something
    3. Oh! Darling
    4. Octopus's Garden
    5. Junk
    6. I Want You (She's So Heavy)

That's a stellar side.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  13. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

He did have "Junk" and "Backseat of my Car" as well but nevertheless decided to record Maxwell.

Gila likes this.
  14. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

I'm with you. Similar vein.

All Things Must Pass is a song I wish made it to Let It Be. What a great rooftop song it could've been.

ODIrony, Kim Olesen and beatleroadie like this.
  15. Arnold Grove

Well, John didn't even participate on the released version of "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" from Abbey Road. So he avoided the supposed "torture".

16. supermd

supermd Senior Member

The Beatles also wanted "Leave My Kitten Alone" off Beatles For Sale. I don't always agree with the fabs.

Guy Smiley likes this.
  17. Somerset Scholar

I agree with The Beatles. It needed a George vocal. :)

18. Somerset Scholar

Thank goodness he did. Junk is a minor ditty that never seemed fully developed but that was maybe the point. Backseat of my Car is more promising, but needs work to get it to Beatles level. The cut on Ram gets a bit grating on the ears. I'm not blaming Linda!

Dr. Dog likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.