NEW vinyl do most people Wet Clean or Dry Clean them?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by IR66, Mar 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carter DeVries

Carter DeVries Forum Resident

:biglaugh:
    Okay....I’m done with this thread now. Wow......:wtf:

nosliw and F1nut like this.
  2. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I’m highly skeptical in 2019 of the idea that “most new records play silent,” but I also don’t think that immediately apparent and obvious noise is the only reason why thorough wet cleaning is a good idea. I’m convinced that clean vinyl is a prudent way to protect your cartridge, prolong its useful lifespan, and also protect the vinyl itself.

I know lots of people (including Steve Hoffman, I believe) skip record cleaning and still lead happy, productive lives, and I’m fine with that. But during my first go-round with vinyl during the 70s and 80’s I absolutely hated dealing with dusty, dirty records, and clean vinyl makes everything more relaxing and mellow for me now.

nosliw likes this.
  3. IR66

IR66 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

It's fine to wet Clean but I do not use any solutions containing alcohol if I can help it ,and always to rinse very well with distilled water or even laboratory water to get any residue off from whatever cleaning solution is being used or they may be noisier than before cleaning.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  4. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Where is the "Depends upon initial inspection" or "All of the Above" options?

I employ all methods mentioned depending on what I see, then moreover what I hear on initial needle drop.

Sometimes she looks pristine and I think I might be able to just let 'er rip........ then drop the needle and immediately clear it needs a cleaning (and if its making noise, that means a "wet")

Sometimes I inspect, looks like some "factory dust and bits" on there and just a quick pass with a dry brush and it sounds great. Other times it then requires a wet clean if I hear anything on the initial needle drop.

Other times I just clean it without thinking twice. Then sometimes I do nothing and it sounds great.....

Why is it only one thing vs another? So many times it depends, it's both or all of the above! Many times threads run into a brick wall because the premise is there can only be one right answer!

zombiemodernist and bever70 like this.
  5. Troy4

Troy4 Forum Resident

Really ?
    You go on to post cleaning doesn't make any difference and your selling your ON RCM so why on earth would you be interested in a spin clean is beyond me.

6. Troy4

Troy4 Forum Resident

Man you don't half contradict yourself .

F1nut likes this.
  7. IR66

I'm looking at things from both sides and can accept other people's ways of cleaning records and pick up some tips at the same time,sometimes I just change it up to see if anybody contradicts me saying I wet Clean them, cleaning them dry/dusting or doing it a different way,either on a RCM or any way one wants.Its amazing how many people just like to disagree even if they really agree.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  8. IR66

I get more better reviews about the spin clean doing a good job than the OKKI NOKKI, which is way too expensive for what is basically just a turntable with a vacuum suction arm on it.You can make the suction arm by cutting a notch in a piece of plastic pipe,applying the felt,and then that's attached to a wet dry vac .When I had the OKKI NOKKI (it got sold today) I got most of my money back on the cost ,now I'm going to make one for less! I will be using a spin clean first followed by a vacuum.

9. IR66

Dry Clean records as opposed to the use of liquid?Its too late to change the title,Ive accomplished selling my OKKI NOKKI, and I'm going to try the Spin Clean followed by a home made vacuum.I like the way the spin clean does both sides of the record.Ive also heard the Spin Clean uses non alcohol cleaning solution which is another plus.Sometimes cheaper doesn't mean inferior.

mick_sh likes this.
  10. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Really amazing- are you serious about this? I've never heard of anyone selling his/hers RCM taking a step backwards like you just did.

Well I've used the Spin Clean in the past and I can tell from my own experience that it's inferior compared to the Okki Nokki. It's possible to get non alcohol cleaning solution for the Okki Nokki as well- I use L'Art du Son with excellent results.

F1nut, nosliw and MackKnife like this.
  11. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Absolutely not that has not been the case for me. Many of the new records I bought usually have paper dust,debris, bits of PVC on the grooves, and/or static. I estimate at least 80% of my new records has to be proper cleaned in some fashion.

And no, none of my new or used records that I cleaned have any additional surface noise through my Nitty Gritty + LAST Cleaning Fluid. If you're hearing additional surface noise after a clean, it's usually user error (i.e., improper cleaning or reintroducing static) or a bad cleaning solution.

F1nut and GyroSE like this.
  12. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

I dry clean all vinyl (and brush the stylus) before every play if we're referring to something like an AudioQuest brush.

13. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

I dry clean and use my Furiteck Anti-stat on new records. I only wet clean as a last resort. With wet cleaning, I often find the cure is worse than the disease. Even with a vacuum cleaner, I often find the records have more surface noise than before the cleaning.

14. Vince800

Vince800 Senior Member

I might run a carbon fibre brush over them if they have all that dusty paper on them from the inner sleeve (fairly common on new records in my experience) but apart from that, no. If they come out clean I'll play them as is and have not had any issues so far.

15. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

How?

16. AH55

AH55 Forum Resident

Honestly, I think that almost all manual record cleaning is not really effective or productive for new vinyl. When people state that the Spin Clean makes a difference, I am always interested in knowing if they cleaned new or used vinyl. For used vinyl it really does not matter what you do - Spin Clean, homemade remedy, etc. Any cleaning is going to enhance a used, dirty record. For new records, though, I don't really think that manual cleaning really makes much of a difference at all...in fact, it can actually make things worse (this is from my experience...a long experience of trying to clean vinyl to achieve perfection and doing several tests to see if in fact it did anything). I mean, think about it. Anytime a record's surface comes in direct contact with anything, there is going to be the risk of doing some damage. Now, granted, record cleaning brushes like those that come with the spin clean are designed for vinyl records; however, one misstep or wrong move during the process can result in creating a scratch or actually driving debris into the grooves. I'm sure if we are honest with ourselves we can all think of a time when cleaning records manually that we accidentally dropped something on the record or moved the record or cleaning device the wrong way. Heck, just consider the fact that brushes/cloths used in the process are immediately contaminated once they make any appearance - dust particles and such will land on them and ultimately end up on (or in) your record. I think that when it comes to manual record cleaning, we all tend to believe that we can defy reality. The truth of the matter is that natural, human error and any exposure that records and cleaning materials have to air will directly affect the success (or lack thereof) of manual record cleaning. You can spend hours upon hours cleaning records only to be disappointed. I've been there. It's not good and can lead to some serious stress ("I guess I have to clean them again..." "Maybe if I buy this product it will go better..."). So, as of now, I am moving away from manually cleaning new records. When I receive a new record, I do a quick spot check to see if it comes with any clear defects, I use my anti-static carbon fibre brush to dust debris off of the record and remove static (or my Mofi brush if there is a great deal of debris from paper inner sleeves...followed by a dusting with the anti-static carbon fibre brush) and then play. Most new records sound absolutely fine and I actually am able to sit and enjoy the music without worrying if I a small tick or pop is the result of cleaning. I clean my stylus after each play (I use the great Audio Technica cleaner...similar to the Onzow), so I'm not too worried about ruining the stylus at all. If a record is unlistenable - back it goes (refund or exchange). By keeping my new records away from all manual efforts and cleaning fluids, I keep them pretty much new and untampered with. This is important because if and when I ever do get a high-end vacuum machine, I know that the records haven't been contaminated. However, I have no plans to get a RCM any time soon. Enjoying my new records without the disappointment that so often came with manual cleaning is a real pleasure. The world of record cleaning is a complex one; however, this is where I stand as of now. My hobby is collecting and listening to vinyl, not cleaning excessively and adding stress/disappointment to my life (Lord knows there is enough of that already...)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  17. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

I clean everything before I introduce it to my shelves or one of my decks.
    New / Old.
    Clean / Dirty.
    Whatever.
    All of it gets cleaned before use/shelving.

melstapler likes this.
  18. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

I spent the best part of a year doing my home based research on cleaning records to see what the effects were.
    I used records that were new and as flawless as you are going to get.
    In summary nearly every method introduced extra noisefloor to those records. Some of the worst offenders were cheaper anti-static sprays. Those should always be avoided if you are having static problems.
    Products that clean with water are best avoided too. Microscopic debris left from the evaporation process increases noisefloor.
    High end Keith Monks cleaning proved very effective but is costly. There was some very slight noisefloor increase and the records had a detectable smell.
    The most successful cleaning was achieved through careful application of a Wood Adhesive (Polyvinylacetate based glue). I tested a variety of such products and got a variety of results but at the top end was a product called Evo-Stick Wood Adhesive Interior. The product either did not affect noisefloor in brand new records or improved it. It is noteable too that this product has manufacturing consistency (to date) and that the glue carcass is always easily removed in one piece and the risk of microscopic debris is very, very low indeed. A drawback to this method is an increase in static, which can be eliminated through the use of an anti static gun.

AH55 likes this.
  19. AH55

AH55 Forum Resident

I have never had any interest in trying the wood glue method as it has always seemed ripe for error. However, it is interesting to hear your take on it.

I do agree completely with your observation that more noise resulted in cleaning. While I don't think it is the case with every record I've cleaned manually, the consistency is non-existent and so much room for error.

20. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

If I don’t wet clean them, most of the time when I first go to flip The record over, my platter mat comes with it. Wet cleans really cut down on static.

21. blair207

blair207 Forum Resident

I’ve just bought a turntable and returned to vinyl. I’ve now opened the seal on 10 brand new records. All fine quick clean on the turntable with a cloth, all sounding fine to me. And I hate surface noise.

22. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I’ve only ever cleaned records by hand and have never damaged one. When I clean them with MoFi One (that i use now), removed by wiping with soft cotton pads until dry and then air drying, the records always sound better. I may have to repeat this cleaning if I have not managed to remove the fluid cleanly from the inner or out peripherals of the LP.

Of course you have to take care and I do not tend to clean new LPs unless cursed with static.

23. Nathan Z

Nathan Z Forum Resident

Every time I bring a new record into the house I give it a wet clean. After that just place it in a good clean sleeve and use your brush whenever you go to play a side.

Don't forget to clean the stylus too - The onzow zerodust is great but if you're on a budget just use a mr clean magic eraser it performs almost as good as the zerodust :thumbsup:

24. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

I have cleaned hundreds of records with wood glue and never made any errors so I feel it is a very safe method and with the right wood glue, the best method there is. The BBC used to use it for their archive.

25. AH55

AH55 Forum Resident

Interesting. Thanks for the response. I suppose that out of all the manual cleaning methods out there, the wood glue method could actually be the one with the smallest amount of risk (I'm just suspicious of touching anything on the surface that has not been specifically designed for vinyl). Glad you have had success with this!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.