New vinyl static

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by snaporaz, Oct 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snaporaz

snaporaz New Member Thread Starter

I did a search on this and discovered that cleaning with Disc Docter will cure this. Is this something I will hear when playing the record? I hear a lot of pops on a new Sundazed 12" I got and am hoping static is the cause. It certainly is holding a charge as my felt comes off everytime I lift the record off! Is there any danger in playing vinyl with a static charge? I use the Audioquest brush but, as others have noted, it doesn't really help with static.

If static is harmful I guess I'll have to start cleaning all my new vinyl too. Sigh... It might be time for a machine soon, lol.

2. Bradfinger

Bradfinger Forum Resident

I've found it best to always clean a new LP anyway to remove any residues from the mold release compounds. There are probably other contaminants that would be removed in a nice initial cleaning.

3. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

A Zerostat gun is indispensible especially if you have a dry house.

4. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

In my house I can't even consider plaing a record with first using the Zerostat gun. In fact, I use it before I take an LP off of the VPI cleaning machine.

5. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

:agree: And it's a lot worse in winter around here, when the air is so dry.

6. snaporaz

snaporaz New Member Thread Starter

So is the concern based on some kind of noise that static creates or is there some possible stylus or vinyl damage caused by static discharge. I'm looking into the Zerostat gun now, thanks for the reccomendation.

7. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

I don't think static will damage your vinyl or cartridge but it will definitely effect your sound over time with accumulations of static(mostly top end).
    I use Benz/Asthetix cartridge demagnetizer about once a month to clear away static(that's only if you are using "Moving Coil" cartridge).
    http://www.amusicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?cat=150&sku=AACARDEM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.