New website: Oasis Recording Info

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by David Jay, Sep 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Jay

David Jay Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hope the moderators don't mind a shameless plug here! I thought that people might like a link to my new website, Oasis Recording Info. It features some detailed information on how Oasis's classic albums Definitely Maybe and (What's the Story) Morning Glory? were recorded, mixed, and mastered, from their producer Owen Morris. I hope you like it!

(Btw, please note that these interviews contain some swearing).

http://www.oasis-recordinginfo.co.uk/

PhantomStranger likes this.
  2. Kossjak

Kossjak Forum Resident

Thanks!

3. David Jay

Nick Brine on engineering Morning Glory and Be Here Now

Just updated the site with an email interview with sound engineer Nick Brine, who worked on the recording sessions for Morning Glory and Be Here Now. His comments on a different version of Don’t Look Back in Anger make me hope that an Oasis box set happens soon… :)

http://www.oasis-recordinginfo.co.uk/?page_id=114

Many thanks to Nick for taking the time out from his busy schedule to contribute.

4. conception

conception Forum Resident

Cool, I will definitely take a look. Thanks for sharing.

5. boiledbeans

boiledbeans Forum Resident

Very interesting.

In the mastering page, he says he did only one Mastering for Definitely Maybe and all versions should have the same digital mastering. But from past EAC logs in this forum, the Epic US and Sony Austria are different masters. Can't remember the verdict on the Creation CDs.

6. David Jay

I haven't heard the Epic US CDs of the first two albums so, can't comment on that directly. I wonder if the mastering differences people have noticed in the first US CD of Morning Glory have something to do with the fact that when the masters were sent to the US, the engineers there almost rejected them (see the Sound on Sound article linked to on the mastering page).

Maybe, as a result of that, Epic requested some alterations to the master before the US CDs were manufactured? Hence audible differences etc.

7. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Would that mean the USA cds are actually listenable? Would be nice...

8. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

Thanks.

I learned a lot from this site.

9. David Jay

I saw this entry on the Dynamic Range Database which suggests there is a slight difference to the Creation CD:

http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/details.php?id=11327

I wonder if anyone with both UK and US originals could comment on the quality? As far as I recall from previous threads, posters here generally thought the first US CD of Morning Glory sounded worse than the Creation disc. To my ears, the best-sounding version is the heavyweight vinyl reissue of 2009. Just a shame that there isn't a digital version of equivalent quality available. This might be something HD Tracks will get round to at some point, though; I emailed their customer support a few months back and they said Oasis should be on their schedule for next year. I got the impression there's nothing definite yet, but they do have a deal with WMG/Reprise, who distribute Oasis in North America. So I guess a hi-res version is possible...

10. David Jay

Engineer Anjali Dutt on recording Definitely Maybe

Just updated the site with an interview with Anjali Dutt, who worked as a recording engineer on the early Definitely Maybe sessions. I've posted it in two parts for ease of reference: the first covers the Dave Batchelor-produced sessions that were recorded at Monnow Valley Studios; the second features her unique insights into the recording sessions at Sawmills and the subsequent mixing sessions at Eden Studios. I'm delighted that Anjali was able to contribute and hope that everyone enjoys reading her memories of recording Oasis as much as I did.

http://www.oasis-recordinginfo.co.uk/?page_id=148

You'll see that part one of the interview features some additional information from L4E forum member BubbleDude about the different versions of Live Forever on the CDR safety copies of the Definitely Maybe master tapes, illustrated with a waveform graphic which he kindly provided. Thanks BubbleDude! I've also included a tracklist for the CDRs in table form, just for quick reference - photos of the discs themselves can be seen on the excellent Oasis Collectors site, which I've added a link to.

Regards,
    David.

11. David Jay

The Making of Don't Look Back in Anger

Just added an article by Rob Hughes on the making of Don't Look Back in Anger, which was originally published in UNCUT magazine and was later republished on L4E's Oasis Newsroom as part of a news exchange between their two sites; it is reproduced on my site by kind permission of L4E's webmaster.

(Please note that, as with most of the other interviews on the site, it contains some swearing)

http://www.oasis-recordinginfo.co.uk/?page_id=284

12. hamishd91

hamishd91 Forum Resident

13. David Jay

Thanks! Glad it's of interest.

Your site looks very interesting and I've bookmarked it for reading later.
    I must say I find doing this sort of research really absorbing-once you start looking into background detail on recording sessions, dates etc you realise it's always going to be time-consuming but satisfying (in equal proportion, on a good day; luckily, thanks to the kindness and generosity of the people I've been in contact with, there have been more than a few good days)!

Regards,
    David.

14. PanaPlasma

Has the Time Flies vinyl boxset the same mixes as the cd (but less brickwalled)?

15. David's site really has some amazing details about the production of the early albums for Oasis. A must-read about the best albums of the 90's.:thumbsup:

16. David Jay

Thanks for all the positive feedback, guys. It’s much appreciated.

Just added some extra info to the site: Anjali has kindly answered an additional question about the Definitely Maybe-era instrumentals included on the Stop the Clocks Collection promo disc that I forgot to ask in the initial interview. I’ve added her comment to the second article, with some links to YouTube videos of the tracks mentioned:

http://www.oasis-recordinginfo.co.uk/?page_id=137

I don’t have the set, so can’t say; perhaps someone reading the thread has a needledrop of it and could comment? I did see on a site listing it for sale that the box set was listed in Michael Fremer’s ‘Heavy Rotation’ column in Stereophile magazine – couldn’t find a review though.

One thing I did learn recently was that the different mix of Wonderwall on Stop the Clocks and Time Flies was actually heard first in the US CD single of the song (thanks to schorman of the L4E Oasis forum for pointing this out).

In the same thread, rupertg pointed out that the b-sides Talk Tonight and Rockin’ Chair are different edits on the US Wonderwall single: ‘Noel says “have you got any batteries?” at the end of Talk Tonight and Rockin’ Chair has no fade in.’

17. boiledbeans

Very interesting read. Anjali seems to be much aware of the loudness issue and she's quite against it.

Anyway, are those CDR safety copies available online?

18. Macca

Macca R'kid

No, I know a collector who has them but I'm pretty sure he won't put them online since he bought them for a lot.

19. boiledbeans

I mean probably MP3 or FLACs... ;) I do believe they will be very expensive to get the actual physical copy!

20. David Jay

21. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

Wow looks ace!

22. Macca

Macca R'kid

Yeah, but he won't put them online since the value of them will decrease when they're available for free. Anyway, now it looks as if we at least got the DM safety copies.

23. Macca

Macca R'kid

Very interesting as always. You forgot to ask about the guitar player in the Wonderwall video. I can't remember if he ever played with Oasis or if he's just in that video. Do you remember that?

24. PanaPlasma

Thanks for keeping us updated ;)

25. David Jay

Cheers. Re the guitarist - knew I forgot something on that front; thanks for the heads up! You're right - it's Scott McCleod miming bass in that video, as Guigsy was off suffering from nervous exhaustion at the time. Owen Morris states that the bassline heard on the record was played by Noel
    http://www.oasis-recordinginfo.co.uk/?page_id=55
    (Btw, please note that the article contains some swearing).

I think Scott McLeod played a number of gigs with Oasis in the US tour of 1995 before unexpectedly quitting. As a result one of their US tv appearances playing Morning Glory (on Letterman I think) saw them perform as a four piece, with Bonehead on bass. But, as far as I know, he didn't appear in any other Oasis videos and I don't think he ever recorded anything in the studio with them...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.