New Wharfedale Dovedale 90th Anniversary Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by AC1, May 20, 2022.

1. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Speculating isn't necessary, they make their own crossover components.

I'm talking about IAG in China. Not their distribution center in the UK (where they 'assemble' the Dovedales).

Toneh and Nielsoe like this.
  2. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

Perhaps you think I am disagreeing with you or disputing what you are saying, but I'm not. We agree on these things.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2023
    AC1 likes this.
  3. ErinH

ErinH Forum Resident

I think I commented that they looked like Scan Speak Discovery series drivers (and they do). I don't think I said they were the same, though.

4. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Yes, I'm 100% certain that I read somewhere that every last bit of the Lintons is made in that factory in China.

Toneh likes this.
  5. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

You dislike the texture or the two parts concept? I had a problem with the latter, together with the line in the middle of the box, but it kinda grows on me. Grilles texture and color I do like. I'd prefer darker wood color.
    Would those fit on a L100 stand?

6. mant1ana

mant1ana Forum Resident

mostly the two parts…. who wants to fool with 4 grill pieces….but i hate the color, too !

did you buy a pair ? how do they sound ? i am concerned what reviewers have described
    as “hyper present” ….wonder if that would wear well over time.

MC Rag likes this.
  7. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

No, just eying them.

8. AC1

From everything that I've read, you can listen to them all day long, no matter the genre, there's no fatique. That reminded me somewhat of Dynaudio, which in a way, it kinda is. A top engineer that used to work for Dynaudio designs the Atalante speakers.

So, mant1ana, still looking for speakers that look like Linton but better? Have you considered the Mission 770?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2023
    Toneh likes this.
  9. AC1

Is that a mirror at the bottom of those stands? o_O

[​IMG]

jonwoody, Nielsoe and Toneh like this.
  10. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

I was wondering the same... Perhaps it's some kind of high gloss paint or polish?

11. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Comparing with other UK built designs the Dovedales are still expensive. Check out the new Fyne Classic range, ATC and Proac. I'm thinking the drivers are Chinese made as same as the Lintons. I see these as a £3-£4K speaker. A lot of the UK manufacturing reasoning was likely due to transport issues and doubts over long term viability of Chinese production Access to China has been restricted due to Covid. I would expect to see more premium products being UK made in the future. This may depend on the friendly relations of the last few days with the EU continuing.

12. Classicrock

While I think the drivers come from China this is not just an assembly operation. Mission 770 appear to be all British from the same factory.

13. Classicrock

It's tinted glass.

Nielsoe likes this.
  14. AC1

Yes, from the same factory ... in China.

15. Eno_Fan

Eno_Fan Staring into the abyss: Brockman BIF, Pilbara WA

This.

Wharfedale, the budget-speaker of yesteryear now a made-in-China number asking £5K for yet another blowsy, vented box. Why put ports on a loudspeaker with a bigger bass-driver than a Magico M5? As lazy design-wise as the pricing is absurd (e.g., £800 for the stand!).

N.B. If you paid £1.5k for your Lintons and are happy then I am happy for you, but for me this is just gouging and gentrifying a poor-man's brand

16. mant1ana

mant1ana Forum Resident

i’m still looking and have considered the Missions, but dont want to fork over 5k for any speaker right now…I am more inclined to buy a small bookshelf up to 3k to match with my REL than to pay more for a full range bookshelf.

17. AC1

[​IMG]

Do it! You know you want to!

18. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

It strikes me funny how anyone can possibly post comments like these without having listened to them for one second. Sorry, but what if these turn out to be out of this world? And sorry again if you happen to have actually listened to them.

19. mant1ana

mant1ana Forum Resident

waiting for more dealers on east coast to appear…i think there is one in NC…he stated he is receiving new stock but havent seen any updates…
    the other issue is the low sensitivity and 4 ohm load. I really liked the efficiency of the Lintons i returned…why the hell cant these speaker companies make an efficient bookshelf ? My 28 year old NHTs are 86 or 87 db into 8 ohms and an easy load. Their minimum impedance is
    7.5 ohms, only $250 back in their day.

20. Classicrock

Response D2 / R / D - ProAc

ProAc 88db, 8 ohms. stand mount.

jonwoody likes this.
  21. mant1ana

mant1ana Forum Resident

thx…ive looked at the Tablette 10 but not the DB3s….ill check them out.

22. Classicrock

The D2 is a more upmarket model than the DB3, though both appear to have more bass extension than Linton's. D2 has an impressive 30Hz.

23. mant1ana

mant1ana Forum Resident

the DB3 seems more appropriate…i could still utilize my REL, keep my 28” stands…the D2s are more expensive, have to buy 24” stands and
    would probably relegate my REL to the closet.

24. mant1ana

mant1ana Forum Resident

anyone familiar with the Proac SM100 Monitors ? hardly any reviews !

25. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

I wouldn't let that put me off. Due to it's combination of 3.4 Ohms minimum impedance and demanding phase angle, Stereophile's John Atkinson considers the Linton's to - in practice - behave something like a 4 Ohm speaker anyway? At least from the amps P.O.V?

As he puts it - "The Wharfedale will work best with amplifiers that are comfortable driving 4 ohms."

Also the Linton's are a little less sensitive in practice than the rating suggests.

Bass.

As loudspeaker design guru Andrew Jones puts it - the three design parameters that operate in lockstep with each other are "box size, bandwidth - meaning low frequency extension - and sensitivity*" (*not to be interchanged with efficiency which means something slightly different)
    As he describes it these are the parameters the designer must juggle to achieve the most livable compromise of size, loudness and bass extension. And you can't have all three in equal measure. And as he also often puts it - you can't overcome the laws of physics. Meaning small drivers in small boxes can't produce the bass a bigger driver in a bigger box can for a given setting of those parameters.

If you want to offer a smaller box with something like decent bass performance - as has been the norm for a long time now, it seems you can either:

1) compromise sensitivity and maintain a relatively steady resistive load - a bit like Dynaudio typically do.
    2) maintain higher sensitivity but tax the amplifier with punishing current demands (I.E - relatively extreme impedance profiles) - like B&W typically do.

In both case the end goal is cranking relatively decent bass from relatively small boxes. But neither approach appeals to me personally - as an end user.

A third way would be the Linton, Harbeth, Mission 770 route - have more driver radiating area and cabinet volume to work with, with a "middling" sort of sensitivity (mid to upper 80 dB's) and a relatively easy impedance profile. This way you neither punish the amp with cripplingly low sensitivity or vampiric demand for current.

A fourth way - and probably of most interest to me these days - is something like the Klipsch Heritage design model - big ass drivers in big ass boxes coupled with above average sensitivity . But again - it seems, there's no free lunch - here some bass extension appears to have been sacrificed for sensitivity?

A Forte IV for instance has much bigger woofers than say a Linton does, but bass doesn't appear to go shed loads deeper in practice? But - it seems - there might be an upswing in dynamics and speed? I dunno - I'm trying to be a more informed and satisfied end user, not necessarily develop the same depth of knowledge of speaker designer. But this is a particular type of design I'm keen to learn more about and maybe even get into myself if I have the space for it one day.

He (Andrew Jones) does a better job of explaining it than I can here.

And as for these Revival Audio models - we won't really know what they're about until someone does a thorough analysis of their electrical profile. Manufacturer quoted speaker specs are sometimes less instructive than we'd like?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2023
    jonwoody likes this.