New Yamaha AS-1200, 2200 vs 1100, 2100

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by nyrjoe, Sep 17, 2020.

1. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Looking at the 2100/2200 or 3000 .. anyone know if the 2200 still uses MOSFETs ? I know it now has the toroidal transformer and some other upgrades too. Just curious. And no matter where I look I can’t seem to find what kind of gain the MM and MC is giving. I might use my DL110 Denon HOMC and it works great in my current phono pre at 46 dB. It seems the Yam should be up to the task as I was reading this thread and someone is running the Dyna 10x5 HOMC which I think has a little bit more output than the 110 and someone else was running a 110. But no matter where I look on the web can’t lockdown any gain settings as a guide. Thanks guys :)

2. LARGERTHAN

LARGERTHAN Forum Resident

Yes, it still uses mosfets. The primary difference does seem indeed to be the transformer type.

I've used several mm carts without issue - it doesn't seem particularly low gain, though I can't speak categorically. It seems to reason that if the other users mentioned above have no issue then you too will have no issue. I also seem to recall a review elsewhere on the previous series using the 110 which positively appraised the phono stage (the phono stage has remained the same in this series of amps).

MikeJedi likes this.
  3. LARGERTHAN

Had a little root about for specs. Forgive me if I'm mistaken with the tech understanding here...

Seems the phono mm on amp is 3mv sensitivity. Your cart is about 2mv. So, yes, it'll work fine, but won't be able to get the maximum output voltage the amp is capable of. It depends how loud you listen, I guess.

It's a fairly powerful amp, but perhaps home dem to be sure.

Maybe others can contribute tech insight.

MikeJedi likes this.
  4. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Yes the 2200 has 3mv sensitivity. The 2100 has 2.5 mv sensitivity. If I go 2100 maybe a bit better ? For the cart ?

5. LARGERTHAN

I saw the 2100 independently measured as near enough 3mv (2.85mv). Splitting hairs and likely a measurement/sample artifact.

I'd buy whichever is a better deal.

OC Zed and MikeJedi like this.
  6. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

AS2100 on Amazon for 3499 brand new from Adorama (auth Yammie dealer) 0 percent for 24 months amazon special financing on my citi card. Not a bad deal at all for no interest. Waiting to hear back from a few other dealers separate from that. But that is tempting .. anyone have any experience with Adorama ? :)

bluemooze likes this.
  7. redchiro

redchiro Forum Resident

Call Dave at Safe and Sound in MA. Maybe they can still get a 2100.
    Bought one new there a few months ago. Not sure if we can quote prices so I'll just say it was more than a thousand less than that Amazon price.

MikeJedi and Bill Mac like this.
  8. OC Zed

OC Zed Bludgeon Riffola

If you can still find a discounted AS3000 and can afford it, I'd say jump on that deal. Earlier in the year when Yamaha was phasing out the AS3000 to make way for the 3200, there were some deep price cuts on the remaining 3000 inventory (it's when I purchased mine).

9. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Mike,

I'd go with Hi-Fi Heaven at the price they have the A-S2100 at. It's $1000 less than the Amazon price. Nice to get 0% financing but it's not worth it as you'd be spending $1000 more. See if Safe and Sound would match Hi-Fi Heaven's price which is also the same price as Amazon. Safe and Sound has 0% financing through Affirm. Not sure how they are to deal with or how long the financing is for.

I've dealt with Dave from Safe and Sound several times and he's excellent. I recently returned a Parasound 2125v2 amp as the Yamaha A-S1000 is a much better amp IMO. The return (within the 30 day return window) was so easy. Dave even offered Safe and Sound's UPS rate for the return shipping. Got a credit to my Visa card shortly after the amp arrived at Safe and Sound.

Hi-Fi Heaven - Yamaha A-S2100 Integrated Amplifier (Silver)
    Safe and Sound - Yamaha A-S2100 Integrated Stereo Amplifier

4xoddic and MikeJedi like this.
  10. redchiro

redchiro Forum Resident

Yes, Dave has been great with me as well. Answered several emails and phone calls. Terrific service, second to none in my personal experience. And Mike the owner treated me the same way a few years back.
    Once again, I went quite a price, but I got my 2100 from Dave, new, sealed, and shipped to my door. Price was 1300 less than that Amazon price.

Bill Mac and MikeJedi like this.
  11. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

I can get the AS3000 new at HIfi heaven for 4599. Not sure if it’s worth it to go that far but that’s a really good price. Safe and Sound sounds like a good place to deal with. I really can’t apply for new credit because we are closing on a new home soon. HIfi heaven have good prices too. And I have been reading good things here too. I have to decide what I’m gonna do ! First world problems lol

OC Zed likes this.
  12. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

nice !! It sounds like Safe and Sound will negotiate and or match prices. That’s a good thing :)

13. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

I did end up getting an answer for the 2100 gain for MM and MC. Worries me a bit that these are kinda lower than I would like....

Hello, Yamaha’s product marketing team said they are 35.6db for MM and 57.6db for MC. Jon Schulman Audio Consultant Music Direct 1811 W Bryn Mawr Ave Chicago, IL 60660312-738-5006 (Direct)

that seems like super low. But based on what you are saying about the sensitivity it should work. I just don’t want to have to crank it so high and there isn’t enough gain ... ugg

14. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

It is a great price for the A-S3000 but that's a big cost difference compared to the A-S2100 at half the cost. I'd love to go for the A-S2100 from Safe and Sound at the subtly mentioned discount price. But I bought the A-S1000 for $900 shipped and could probably get close to that if I sold it. But then to spend at least another $1300 on top of that for an amp in a secondary system just doesn't seem like a good idea.

That's just my opinion based on my situation. The A-S1000 is of course not on the level of the A-S2100/2200. But I'd like to think that it's close as the build quality and design are of a very good Yamaha pedigree.

15. OC Zed

OC Zed Bludgeon Riffola

FWIW, I haven't had any issues using the phono stage on my AS3000 with my Sumiko Blue Point No. 2 (MC) cartridge. It's an overall well detailed and very quiet phono stage considering it's essentially a throw-in option on the amp. I much prefer it to using my Project Tube Box DS phono stage which previously retailed in the $550 range.

MikeJedi likes this.
  16. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

That’s cool. I wonder if the AS3000 has the same gain specs for the phono as the 2100. I have heard they are the same (the phono sections not the amps )

17. OC Zed

OC Zed Bludgeon Riffola

My understanding is also that the phono stages are the same between amps.

MikeJedi likes this.
  18. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Talked to Dave. He is quoting me 750 less than the Amazon price. I am thinking about this. I like the Safe and Sound policies and they are auth dealer. I wish I could get it less. But this might be the best they can do at this time. I told him would think about it and would call back today ...he’s cool.. seems they are not on clearance even tho the new models are out. But that is a much better price than the online price

19. UltraDNS

UltraDNS Staying in Seattle?

My
    Yammie set-up, which is centered around the A-S2100 with AudioQuest Golden Gate interconnects sounds simply sublime. How's that for alliteration? In seriousness though, I don't notice any midrange issues at all. When I listen to cd's the volume control has never gone more than an 1/8 of the way as it's pretty loud at that point.

MikeJedi and OC Zed like this.
  20. OC Zed

OC Zed Bludgeon Riffola

Glad to hear your positive experiences so far with the A-S2100, UltraDNS.

The 3000 has continued to be our everyday amp since the spring and we remain very happy with it. In general, I can say I recognize a slightly scooped EQ curve on the unit, but it's not anywhere to the point where I feel the midrange is lacking. But it's really about subtleties and, of course, everyone's taste is different.

UltraDNS and MikeJedi like this.
  21. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Dude at HIFi Heaven gave me the deal of the century 1200 dollars less than MSRP on a brand new Silver AS2200. I am a happy camper right now :) It’s on order. Should receive it sometime in Dec. they are great to work with .. Shout out to Randy at HIFi Heaven :)

russk, adamos, Bill Mac and 2 others like this.
  22. OC Zed

OC Zed Bludgeon Riffola

So I had a rookie blunder last week :doh: that I'll pass along in case anyone else runs into the same problem...

I purchased my first pair of XLR cables to use with my A-S3000. I had previously been using RCA cables for my DAC interconnects, but I decided to move those cables to my other system which allowed me to now go with the new XLR set. I plugged them in and instantly heard more volume, but also a significant amount of distortion on the top end. I checked all of my power supplies to see if there was a new ground loop issue... there wasn't.

It wasn't until I remembered to go back to the owner's manual to see that the Yamaha has dB cut switch underneath the XLR inputs to lower the output levels on the cables (I think by -6 dB). The problem was instantly solved. I'm back to being fully in love w/my amp again.

UltraDNS, jheyesen and MikeJedi like this.
  23. OC Zed

OC Zed Bludgeon Riffola

One other recent system upgrade that I recently installed that might benefit others here... I finally replaced my stock subwoofer power cables with a pair of AudioQuest Monsoon cables. The difference in dynamics has been very significant... and not just in the low end. The midrange and treble are also carrying much greater weight. This was a super effective tweak that I would recommend to anyone else that has powered subs. (My subs are connected as part of my GoldenEar Triton One.R speakers.)

all24bits likes this.
  24. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

will have to check this place out next time I am looking for some gear. A few hours away but seems to get good reviews all around.

MikeJedi likes this.
  25. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Now to the next part of the building blocks. I am going to at some point get a SL1200GR Technics to go with the 2200. Doing some research here and there but anyone have any advice on a good matching cartridge for the phono section of the 2200. I was thinking DL110. But since I have one downstairs I want to try something different on this 2200/Klipsch/Technics system

looking at any of these to pair with the 2200 phono stage ..

Dynavector LOMC
    Denon DL 103R LOMC
    Hana EL LOMC
    Hana SL LOMC

Thanks peeps ;)