New York City-based members? Need a 1st-class listening room for new, Steve Hoffman-mastered project

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ifyouever, Jun 24, 2022.

1. ifyouever

ifyouever Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi all,

Steve is doing digital and vinyl mastering at Marsh Mastering for a project I am producing.

55 minute double album of new music from a world-class jazz artist, much admired on this forum.

I’m currently in an unusual circumstance with my gear unavailable to me, and am looking for a New York-based forum member who would be open to auditioning Steve’s impending digital mastering with me on their system.

As I’m confident Steve will attest, the music is magnificent, and will be an audiophile delight.

Please PM ASAP me if this interests! Thank you very much.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Hopefully one of our New York based members will help!

3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I can't help with the request but I'm pumped there's going to be at least one more SH-mastered album! :pineapple:

4. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

It’ll be nice to see your name back in circulation again.

5. ChickenringNYC

ChickenringNYC Forum Resident

Are you trying to find a great mastering studio with reference equipment or are you actually looking for someone's living room where there is audiophile quality gear?

I mean, heck, you could come over my place, take a hit, have some guacamole and chips and listen to the thing on my beginner system!

(note to the grizzled professional audiophiles who would jump on me for having the gall to offer... The above invite is what is commonly referred to as a joke)

6. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I know he's in New Jersey but if he's interested would Michael Fremer be an option?

Grant, kt66brooklyn and Mr Smith like this.
  7. ifyouever

Really interesting thought. Fremer is on record (haha) as having a love for this artist. But he's built his brand as a vinyl guy. Though the test pressings will be forthcoming, does he stoop to having a good streaming system for digital? :laugh:

8. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

Talk to John Rutan in Verona NJ at Audio Connection. He’s sold a lot of gear, has a great listening set-up as well. Great guy as well.
    Ken Gould at Audio Nexus in my home town of Summit is another possibility.

9. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

knowing a bit about Fremer, he definitely has a pretty steallar hi-res digital playback capability.

10. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

I agree that MF has one of the best systems anywhere but IIRC his listening room is not very big. I have no idea about the rest of his digs.

11. ironbutterfly

ironbutterfly Listening to marky mark in mono

Please let it be Kenny G
    Please let it be Kenny G
    Please let it be Kenny G
    Please let it be Kenny G

12. ajax25

ajax25 Forum Resident

Zamfir

The Beave and Rooster_Ties like this.
  13. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

I wish it were a Tony Bennett project :cry:

14. ifyouever

I see Friday cocktail hour is upon us. :p

15. Duffy Shrimpton

Duffy Shrimpton Forum Resident

"The Best of Boxcar Willie"....me mum fancies yer man

16. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

Is Steve Guttenberg on the forum?
    I've been watching his youtube videos lately. Seems like a nice guy, with good gear (digital and analogue), and based in NYC. (Brooklyn)
    He writes for the big audiophile mags so I would assume they have a contact or him.
    The other chap that springs to mind is John Devore, of Devore speakers.

17. hodgo

If it helps I know from a Stereofile video where he runs through his system that Michael has an excellent digital setup alongside his vinyl rig.

18. ifyouever

That's incredibly impressive. Greatly admire Michael's commitment to perfection. Kind and friendly guy, too -- have only ever had great vibes from him at the audiophile shows.

Sneaky Pete, teag and hodgo like this.
  19. hodgo

I know a couple of folks who've met him, both stated that not only does he know his stuff, he's also friendly and very much approachable.

Good luck with this project, as someone who is interested in hearing this do you know if it will be made available in the UK?

20. ifyouever

Thanks. I believe there are European and Asian distributors for the label we're most likely going with. But the title should also be available at Acoustic Sounds, etc. I know you guys overseas often wind up paying a shipping surcharge -- hoping that won't be the case, here. (But, even if it is, I suspect the music and Steve's work on it will be seductive enough to warrant that.)

teag and hodgo like this.
  21. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

How do the lads down at th’ Arms feel about him? Proper geezer or what.

ifyouever likes this.
  22. teag

teag Forum Resident

Are you projecting timing for the release of this LP?

23. ifyouever

Pallas -- where it's most likely to be pressed -- is projecting a 10 to 11 month backlog. So the vinyl release will in large part be driven by that math. We're considering the possibility of doing an earlier digital release. Nothing in writing as of yet, however.

RobCos02330, Drew, longdist01 and 2 others like this.
  24. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I would be happy to volunteer but I live in an outer borough and also don’t think my system is really up
    to the task. I would suggest contacting Andrew Singer or David from Stereo Exchange they both have access to tons of great gear and nice listening spaces. Or In Living Stereo, I don’t know who the owner is but I have always been treated very well when I visited the store, even if it was just to buy cables. They might be interested and it could be a nice bit of PR for the store.

Please update us and let us know how it turns out.

hodgo and ifyouever like this.
  25. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Yes, Andy or David, etc. Good systems and more than one set up at a time.

When I was working on the DCC Compact Classics Gold CD stuff, I would spend a lot of time at Eliot Midwood's Acoustic Image in Sherman Oaks, listening to my mastering on the various systems in the store. Helped a great deal..

ashlee5, Grant, jfeldt and 2 others like this.