New Zeiss M-fit rangefinder camera and lenses

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by aashton, Oct 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aashton

aashton Here for the waters... Thread Starter

I think this is great news in a world if declining film based options - Zeiss is to launch a new rangefinder camera and one with a classic name - the Zeiss Ikon :)

[​IMG]

The camera body will be accompanied by a new range of M-fit lenses and the one that I have my eye set on is the 15mm f2.8 model :) I love Zeiss lenses, the ones I have for my Hassy give me just as big a buzz as the glass on my Leica. Having another top rank manufacturer of lenses compatible with the M-mount will IMO stir things up a bit over at Solms :D

Andrew :cool:

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

The Zeiss name but actually all made in Japan, including the lenses.. Not that there is anything wrong with that. :)

3. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

You know, I respect Ziess and their lenses but I really dislike them. Very analytical to my eye. But I probably have a fairly unique and specific POV.

4. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

Zeiss lenses do have different look in general from Leica (slightly less contrast modeling) which I do not find objectionable, but the philosophy for some of their lens design has changed since they moved some of their production to Japan. The Hassleblad line is great (I used them for years), but I understand that some of the Contax lenses from Japan are not up to the same standards optically. Still, this is great news for rangefinder fans, including those with M mount lenses!

5. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I prefer Leica lenses which many of my pro photographer friends consider the best.

It's funny how quality rangefinders seem to be so hot - sort of the retro LP thing for photography!

There seem to be several new Leica-like cameras now of which this Zeiss is the latest.

6. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

The advantages to a Lieca Rangefinder are numerous for someone like me.
    1. Unfailing reliability
    2. Simplicty. It allows me to focus (no pun intened) on the shot rather than the camera.
    3. Stealthness. It is one of the most unintrusive cameras there is. It allows you to work at close range without disturbing the action. It is the only camera I know of that can be used on a set during a rehersal without interupting the work.

Then there is that image quality. The thing I notice is the difference becomes more pronounced with the faster films shot in lower light under more difficult conditions. And last but not least. If you think it is in focus, it is in focus.

I'd like to add that regardless of my personal preferences for lenses it really is good news that Ziess lenses are now available for M Liecas. I can see a use for them even for me. That Lieca MP is still on top of things to get list though.

7. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Deja vu for me - my first camera, gifted to me by my Dad, was the Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex IIa, their TLR answer to the Rolliflex. It was a great camera, until it flew out the side window of my 1956 VW beetle on a camping trip... but that's another story ;) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.