Newly released Beatles Revolution Take 14

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ephi82, Dec 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working Thread Starter

Any of the experts (Onder?) know if this is what was used for the reduction mix, or was this a similar but unused take? I’ve read RTB and the SDE book, but I guess that has confused me.

I’ve have had fun with it in my studio. I loaded it up and added bass, drum overdubs, handclaps, and all the vocals in the style of the tv spot.

DK Pete likes this.
  2. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

A very careful listen is required with this to compare what's heard on the final version with what's on this one. The guitar parts sound to me like they were incorporated into the reduction mix of the final track but if I understood correctly, Onder says that this isn't so. He could be right but I haven't done an A/B comparison to the point where I can say for sure. What I can say is that at the very least, if these guitar parts are not the ones used on the final take, they come extremely close.

3. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Where was the "newly released Beatles Revolution Take 14" actually released?
    Or has it been released in parts unknown, parts unmentionable on this site?

4. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

It's part of the super deluxe remixed White Album set on one of the "sessions" discs.

Lewisboogie and qwerty like this.
  5. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

qwerty and DK Pete like this.
  6. Ephi82

I think it’s another take. The drums seem to be different on the album version.

I ask because this version seems to swing a bit more, but that might be my imagination. I may have to PM Onder.

7. Ephi82

Just one bump

8. Onder

Onder Senior Member

Yes, you're right. It is not the take that was used for the released version. The guitars are slightly different throughout the song and the drums are very different. It's an alternate.

Curiously with Yer Blues it's the opposite way. Deluxe book claims that the outtake presented is a take before the master take. But it IS the released master take, not an alternate.
    Maybe something went wrong during the editorial process of the book and some of the notes for these two songs got swapped?

Ondra

Chris M and DK Pete like this.
  9. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I was also a bit confused at the info on Yer Blues. Many thanks for confirming/agreeing. But I'm still not fully convinced that the guitars on take 14 of Revolution aren't the actual released take but mixed differently so as not to sound identical to the official take. I'm totally open to the fact that that I could be wrong...this is a close one.

10. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

The original stereo mix had the drums to the left and guitar to the right, meaning everything missing from the Take 14 was in the center of the original stereo mix.

I isolated everything from the center and put it onto Take 14 to see if I could make a good stereo mix, and though it sounded good I couldn’t get them lined up right no matter what I did. At the end I concluded that the takes HAD to be different.

longdist01 likes this.
  11. MCK57

MCK57 Forum Resident

Take 10 was the best basic track take for Revolution.Two guitar tracks and two drum tracks and those got bounced over to another tape.Three tape reductions were done-takes 11,12 and 13 with take 13 being best.Guitars were now on one track and drums on another track.John added a lead vocal on one of the open tracks and on the other open track he added a second vocal along with handclaps and a touch more drums from Ringo.All of this got bounced back over to the original tape with two tape reductions takes 14 and 15 with take 15 being best.A rough mono mix was done and given to John and it sits in his tape vault.The next day-July 11-Nicky Hopkins added electric piano to the open track and another tape reduction was done on to another tape which is now take 16.Paul added bass on the open track but wiped it and redid it the next day along with John adding more lead guitar on the bass track.The song is finished and ready for mono mixing in the early morning hours of July 13.Thank you and i hope i did better than Kevin H.

12. Onder

Onder Senior Member

Believe me, they're not the same. I'm not talking about the sound. The performance is different. There are slight differences in both guitars. John's guitar is even slightly out of tune in the third bar of the intro on the outtake.
    And as has been pointed out by @Beatmaniac you can't sync the outtake with the released version, that's because they're two different performances.

Ondra

BuCo likes this.
  13. BuCo

BuCo A guy who can't have enough Super Deluxe box sets

I knew something was off about what they call “Take 14”, and I made a comparison video a while ago:

14. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I just realized that this take may well be the one that's passed of as an alternate mix on the "knickers" boot. I haven't listened to it in a while but I believe the double note "flourish" done at the very end by John after the final "allright" on Take 14 is the same as on this one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.