Next Paul McCartney Archive: London Town, Back to the Egg or something else?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wiserforthetime, Aug 7, 2020.

1. zonka

zonka Forum Resident

Please, please, please LT and Egg! Those both will have some great extra content.
    Somehow it seems like With A Little Luck has been lost in his catalog. Top shelf McCartney, up there with the absolute best of his post-Beatle output (in my opinion, of course:) Maybe because he stopped touring at that time and it was never played live (and came out after Greatest Hits)?
    Hoping for a summer release or maybe December, after the Let It Be film.

2. zonka

zonka Forum Resident

Replying to myself - it appears With A Little Luck is on Greatest Hits. I played it a ton in the late 70s/early 80s but not since so I forgot what was on there.
    I still think this track has been somewhat forgotten, unfortunately.
    Any other huge fans of this track? It was my first McCartney 45 purchase in real time so it holds some sentimental value as well:)

DK Pete, Carlox, Galaga King and 6 others like this.
  3. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

I just listened to most of London Town for the first time in ages today and was struck by how "Cuff Link" sounded like it absolutely belongs on McCartney II. I wonder if it was the earliest result of his tinkering at home. I can detect no involvement by any other member of Wings on the song.

nedison, 905, Eska68 and 3 others like this.
  4. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Lets hope after the Plastic Ono Band, All Things Must Pass, and Let it Be 50th anniversary boxes that the LT/BTTE combo is released in late 2021......that would be beyond amazing!

5. backseat

backseat Italian translator - Paul McCartney's 'The Lyrics'

Yeah that’s it. Being recorded at Rude could have been Paul on his own, but since he said it evolved from a jam I think also Denny is on it. No McCulloch and English in.

6. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Well, there are drums on it. But I'm not one to discern whether it's Paul playing them or not... :shrug:

7. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

At least we know it isn't Ringo... :)

longdist01, jmxw and Wingsfan2012 like this.
  8. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

...or Bernard Purdie :D

9. Wingsfan2012

With this announcement today, and all the other Beatles/Solo Beatles stuff coming out in 2021, is the next archive box set now pushed back to 2021...……..????????

[​IMG]

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

You think the next archive will be pushed from 2021 all the way to 2021, eh? :D

11. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

2021?!? I'd be surprised if we see a set any sooner than 2021 at the earliest. :uhhuh:

tug_of_war, Oatsdad and omikron like this.
  12. Wingsfan2012

LOL, typo

I meant 2022 and that 2021 could be a year with no Archive box?

13. Oatsdad

It better not be. If it is, I'll blame you, Typo Person! :laugh:

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  14. Wingsfan2012

Mike C commented to me on the Plastic Ono Band box set thread to "not worry" about all the other reissues planned in the Beatles world for 2021 and if that would effect the Archive collection's next move.

When I asked if we were to have a 2021 Archive release or two or with all the other Beatles/Solo activity and 2 books by Paul. So that little hint gives us some hope for an archive or two for late 2021!

Tojo, jammincrowe, C_Jepson and 5 others like this.
  15. Fabsmith

Fabsmith Forum Resident

I always liked London Town, right from when it was released. That is one set I hope gets the archive treatment!

16. Did I ever?

Did I ever? Forum Resident

So any rumblings about an archive release on the heels of 3, 2, 1 McCartney?

omikron and tug_of_war like this.
  17. Cledwyn

Cledwyn Forum Resident

FWIW, it's also on the UK version of All The Best.

I love the album version, particularly the massed ranks of gorgeous-sounding synths, plus the voal melodies are really nice too. It may be a little to soft rock / middle-of-the-road for some but certainly not me. I first heard it back in 1978 as a 12 year-old and have enjoyed it ecver since but agree that it does feell a little forgotten compared to some of his other 70s hits. :)

18. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Yeah, I was a teenager when this came out and I thought it was great! [And still do!]

My dad, who knows quite a bit about music [and another amateur musician to varying degrees] noted at the time that it was the most melodic use of synths he had ever heard, rather than just using them as a novelty... I agree.

peteham likes this.
  19. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I absolutely love WALL, McCartney's soulful ad-libbing is a treat. Really do wish it had been performed live.
    What I really want is Wings Last Flight officially remixed and released!

20. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

Not on the CD, though, because it was cut due to album length going past CD (the same thing which saw "Maybe I'm Amazed" and "Goodnight Tonight" cut as well. The only hits CD with "With A Little Luck" from London Town is Wings' Greatest, as the US version of All the Best! has the debut CD appearance of the shortened promo edit of the song instead – the same edit on Wingspan and Pure McCartney.

When (not if) there's an Archive of London Town, it will likely be a strong set, given what we already know can be on it. The album is underrated, and Back to the Egg as well.

Galaga King, jmxw and Cledwyn like this.
  21. Cledwyn

Cledwyn Forum Resident

Yes, you're right of course - silly me! I bought the LP in 1987 - it was another few years before my CD player came along. I did later buy the US CD though to get the live version of Coming Up.

It's a shame they had to trim the tracklist for CD, as WALL, Maybe I'm Amazed and Goodnight Tonight are all key 70s Macca tracks as far as I'm concerned. :)

Heavy Metal Snow White and jmxw like this.
  22. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Still no pre-orders on Amazon.
    Are they planned for next spring??

Galaga King likes this.
  23. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

I put it in the category of Zoo Gang, Oriental Nightfish or Lunchbox/Odd Sox.
    One of those weird, experimental things Paul/Wings would nonchalantly put out there. Great stuff!

RAJ717 and 905 like this.
  24. Philo

Philo Music Maven

I don’t think Paul is going to release an archive set this year, because it might interfere with the Let it Be reissue, and that could break up the Beatles…..

Munros1969, tug_of_war and 905 like this.
  25. Oatsdad

No pre-order because nothing has been announced.

There's never been any announced release for whatever the next Archive title is.

tug_of_war likes this.