Next Paul McCartney Archive: London Town, Back to the Egg or something else?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wiserforthetime, Aug 7, 2020.

1. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Broad Street on vinyl is several minutes shorter than Speed of Sound, which is frequently referred to as the best sounding McAlbum. Both are also shorter than Abbey Road, which doesn’t seem to have suffered too badly on vinyl.

Band On The Run (US), London Town, Wings Greatest, Press to Play (LP) are all longer, and Ram, Venus and Mars, and Red Rose Speedway are all within a minute of Broad Street’s LP length. That sleeve note about the album being “longer than usual” is BS.

Frank, supermd, Sargon and 3 others like this.
  2. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

Lucas' deal with Fox for the first three films was permanent ownership of the films in exchange for the merchandising rights.
    Fox licensed which TV networks and streaming networks have the films (something that pissed Disney off when it learned Disney+ would not automatically get them).

My guess from what was said at the time was MPL "produced" the film by putting some of its money in and running the company that put the film together.
    Fox put up the bulk of the cash and handled theatrical distribution and home video.
    Both the existing VHS and DVD copies are released with Fox's identifiers on it, so I would expect that control of the home video lies with Disney on this one — with MPL giving assent or not.

3. Brian from Canada

[QUOTE="mrjinks, post: 24697128, member: 12973"That sleeve note about the album being “longer than usual” is BS.[/QUOTE]
    That sleeve note is in comparison to the cassette which is longer than usual: "Wanderlust," "Eleanor's Dream" and "No More Lonely Nights (playout version)" were all trimmed – the middle quite notably – while "So Bad" was cut from the vinyl altogether.
    The CD and cassette match, with the CD adding "Goodnight Little Princess" (renamed in 1991 with the EMI edition as "Goodnight Princess") to the end.
    The 1993 edition counts the bonus track from the CD as part of the regular album before adding two remixes from singles of "No More Lonely Nights" to the end.
    The 2007 iTunes edition adds the dj-only 'mole mix' of "No More Lonely Nights" on top of the 1993 edition, exceeding the maximum CD running time of 80 minutes… the only one of the iTunes editions I bought that does so.

4. As I recall, Fox only owns Star Wars. The other two films Lucas financed himself and Lucasfilm owned them (which Disney now owns of course in addition licensing them to Fox)but that’s neither here nor there-the point is that we don’t know what McCartney did with Give My Regards and won’t until we see a reissue.

fungomatto likes this.
  5. Jayseph

Jayseph Somewhere Between Penny Lane & Alphabet St.

As much as I want London Town and Back To The Egg to be next, does it make me crazy to say that I really want Broadstreet to be part of the deluxe treatment? Like I would pay Flaming Pie prices for a beautiful Broadstreet Archive? I am to Broadstreet what @Arnold Grove is to Bip Bop.

6. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

But "Bip Bop" is only a 4-minute song. In contrast, Broad Street is a lengthy album. You must have a strong constitution for that.... ;)

7. Mark Burton

Mark Burton Forum Resident

What a great post. Thanks for the running time info!
    On a side note, the end song was originally titled “Goodnight Lonely Princess”, not Little Princess. But I suppose I’m splitting hairs.

I would happily buy the box set of GMRTBS and/or Press to Play. Especially if it came with the b-sides disk from Flowers In The Dirt.

Hep Alien and Lewisboogie like this.
  8. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'd be surprised if McCartney didn't have rights to issue Broadstreet. I know there was the deal with fox but McCartney seems like he would have had something stating MPL could issue it if he chose to do so as long as he were the one paying for it.
    I think he may have gone thru fox as a means of a cheaper distribution but I'd be surprised if he gave them all the rights to it.

9. Brian from Canada

Fox put up the production money, or at least a big portion of it, all based on Paul's 20 page outline.

10. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Forum Resident

I was under the impression that MPL held the rights to the soundtrack. So, if it gets included in the archive series, that's all we'll get in the set, plus any extra tracks from the period. The movie itself would more than likely be a separate release like Rock Show was with Wings Over America.

theMess and joeislive like this.
  11. Wiserforthetime

And we're not really going to know until there is a release but like I said while it's possible Paul Gabe up these right but if so i will be very surprised.

12. Brian from Canada

That's the way I see it. MPL owns the music clear out. It also, I believe, owns the logo and other items connected directly to the promotion, since the last issue VHS and the DVD both avoid the original poster, and the DVD misses out on the film logo as well.
    Fox owns the home video and broadcast rights. They issued all copies of the home video and – now Disney – would control any future re-releases, a la Rock Show.

An Archive would get the soundtrack, any additional audio, the promo films (which are MPL made and owned)… and possibly some behind-the-scenes material or TV appearances as well.
    It would not include the film, since then revenues for the music release would have to be shared with Disney.

Again: look to the past. MPL did not have anything to do with the home video or DVD releases post-1984, not even putting out any cross-promotional items like a single or reissue of the album.
    There was nothing to "give up" — Fox put up some of the money and got the video rights, MPL put some money up and kept the music rights.
    There was no way Fox would put up the money for Give My Regards to Broad Street and not keep something out of it.
    It's not abnormal.

Fox retained the North American broadcast/video rights to Doctor Who: The Enemy Within because they put up a portion of the money for that telefilm (BBC getting the rest of the world and maintaining character ownership).
    Sony retains ownership of all Spider-Man films and any ancillary product they produce directly, so that Marvel retains all publishing rights to the character and anything they produce – all other merchandise was split revenue by agreement.
    And so on.

Hep Alien likes this.
  13. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

If it's released, a Press to Play box would be the only box I've purchased in the whole Archives series! I've only bought a few standalone releases so far (RAM mono LP, Rockshow Blu-ray, RRS 2 LP version). Press is one of my favorite Macca albums.

Paul H, Oatsdad and RAJ717 like this.
  14. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

Me too. Haven't bought a box yet, but for purely sentimental reasons, I'd probably splurge for the Press To Play box. It was released as I started my senior year of high school, and while the album is admittedly not one of his best, it has a soft spot in my heart as providing the soundtrack for my senior year in high school. The inclusion of the single mixes, b-sides, and 12" remixes will be essential for me to purchase this though.

15. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I know about the variations between formats. It specifically states:
    "This record is longer than usual but due to the available playing time on a vinyl disc some editing of the sound track has been necessary in order to retain full volume and dynamic range. Even longer versions exist on cassette and compact disc."​
    The sleeve note is referring to the LP itself, which is why it uses the term "record". It wouldn't make any sense to be referring to the cassette being longer than usual and then say, "even longer versions exist on cassette".

Again, the statement is BS. The record isn't particularly long, per the examples I listed above. You stated the LP "still maxes out the possible running time of a vinyl record". 43 minutes and 22 seconds definitely does not.

Frank likes this.
  16. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

He’s priced me out of the SD market :cheers:

RAJ717 and sonnyrock like this.
  17. Wiserforthetime

I never said what you are saying is wrong. I said we won't know til the next issue. You make a lot of valid points and could be right. I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised if Paul held more rights than we know.

18. Did I ever?

Did I ever? Forum Resident

Is is just impossible to make a deal with Fox/Disney for GMRTBS movie to be included on that one archive set? I mean it seems to me like something that can be sorted out. Who the heck is going to ever make money on that movie otherwise?

19. Brian from Canada

Did Rock Show, a concert movie that was – at that time – 34 years old (and 37 years since that concert) make money?
    If so, that would show the sales potential for Give My Regards to Broad Street on blu-ray.

The real question is: will Disney want to make money off it?
    They pulled all of the Fox movies from the repertoire theatre circuit (including Christmas faves Die Hard and Home Alone), so it's easier to think Disney took what it wanted and put the others in storage where it won't compete against their own work.
    If it's not a cartoon, or a live action they are making a sequel/remake of, Disney tends to love keeping it in the vaults. :cry:

20. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

That's a phrase I never thought I'd ever see/hear.

21. Driving Rain will have a lot of extra on video

22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Apples and eggs.

"Rock Show" was a title that'd been on VHS briefly in the early 80s and had been out of print for decades. It'd never gotten a DVD release.

"Rock Show" offered a concert from a much beloved tour. It also brought an extended edition that presented the full concert for the first time vs. the editing version from 1980.

"Broad Street" saw DVD release in 2004 and is at best viewed as a curiosity even among fans - a project to be owned by completists.

"Broad Street" has endured much mockery over the decades and pretty much no one likes it for non-ironic reasons.

A long unavailable full-length concert from a legendary tour is going to be a much bigger draw than a terrible movie that is still easily available on DVD...

23. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

C'mon guys, "Rock Show" is on Venus and Mars. Rockshow is the film.

Was easily available. I bought a copy for a friend directly from Amazon back in January, and a week later you could only buy them from third-party sellers. Still the case: https://www.amazon.com/Give-My-Regards-Broad-Street/dp/B0001FR552/

omikron likes this.
  24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I can buy it for less than $10 right now on Amazon - that's the definition of "easily available".

Just because it's not sold directly by Amazon doesn't make it hard to find.

Besides, it's been out there 16 years. You're claiming it's no longer "easily available" when even Amazon still had it 7 months ago? :wtf:

I have no idea what any of this has to do with the argument that sales of a "Broad Street" BD would be correlated with how "Rockshow" sold on BD anyway... :confused:

25. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

It's no longer in print nor is it being sold officially.