Neydia shopping site - anyone familiar with them?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by RickH, Jan 8, 2023.

1. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts Thread Starter

Ran across this site on Facebook, selling all kinds of products at incredibly low prices. The items I saw of interest to me are a 6-track digital audio recorder for $19.98 (!) or the 8-track version for $29.98. They appear to be perhaps discontinued or rebranded Tascam products. I'm a little skeptical...they must be open-box or refurbs.

www.neydia.com

6-Track Digital Pocketstudio Multi-Track Audio Recorder

Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
  2. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

That has to be a scam.

3. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts Thread Starter

Their internet domain just went online in October so I'm steering clear...

4. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

On the Internet, if an etailer with no track record is selling things for prices too good to be true, it's almost always a scam.

RickH likes this.
  5. David_A

David_A New Member

I saw the Neydia ads on FB, searched the topic and read the reviews of Neydia, including this one. All those things are true: it's a new domain, poorly built front end, dubious prices on products, etc.

After this research, given some thought I dove in. I ordered a Tascam 6-track and Tascam 8-track recorder. The first time I entered my CC information into the Neydia page, it said "cannot process payment; choose another card", an immediate red flag. I also got an automatic text, supposedly from my bank, which I couldn't tell for sure if it was legit.

I also got an email from the vendor with a "coupon code" to complete my transaction, but when I clicked on the link in the email the purchase page amount went to > $10K, as the "shipping" jumped from "free" to $9999. Being very disconcerted about that, I stopped where I was and called my bank, using the phone# on the back of the card.

The bank CC-div operator told me the transaction was automatically flagged and blocked because it's international, non-US. In fact it's China. However, nothing else looked amiss from the side of my bank, such as the amount, payee, etc. So, I entered the transaction again into the (other) Neydia page that had the correct amounts, while the bank operator was on the phone.

Everything seemed normal at that point. The transaction was approved "manually" by the bank, since I had them on the phone. The payee and amount was correct. No other fraudulent activity popped up as an adjunct to this transaction. I felt satisfied that I'd not been defrauded on the spot and concluded the bank call.

Following, I got an order confirmation email from the seller that looks 100% legit. This email had 2 line items that said "6-track recorder", so I emailed them immediately to "emphasize that I ordered one 6- and one 8-track recorder, even though they were under the same (6-track) header". I got a reply to this email that restated the items would be shipped, as noted. I pulled up the Order Status page at Neydia again, and the subtext of the order said 6- and 8-track, even though the top header line items said 6-track. All that looks legit at this point. They sell many types of items, not just recorders, and the website construction is a little wonky.

Sometime after that, I got another email from the seller about shipment and a tracking number, which also looks legit. I checked the tracking number and it diverted to a shipper's page that looks 100% legit. The projected delivery date of my 2 Tascam recorders is Feb 4-6.

There are things about this site and transaction which may be very slightly affected by the language translation, and when the total went to $10K that was a huge anomaly (which I believe could be a coding error), but otherwise I believe every other step of the way this order looks legitimate. The only thing yet to see is whether they are delivered on Feb 4-6, the type of products and condition.

After being skeptical about it from the outset, each step in my opinion seems to be on the level and not a scam. The prices seem unbelievable, but I also got a first-timer discount, free shipping and my total for both Tascam recorders was $29.95. The site states that they are a clearing house of discontinued products, so that would account for the giveaway level prices.

So far what seems too good to be true may indeed be true. I contrast that with the fact that all the checkpoints in the transaction seem legitimate, and Chinese concern would have to construct a pretty big back-end process just to defraud me of $29. To me, that wouldn't make sense. With all that stated, the delivery is out in the shipping lanes and the final chapter is yet to be written.

I registered here for this topic and I will definitely give you an update with my results.

6. Jon Venner

Jon Venner New Member

Hi all,

I've just received my parcel...... four pairs of childrens socks! It has the tracking number they emailed to me so I think the scam is "you've received your item and we have proof of delivery" Ahh well, should have listened to myself

7. David_A

David_A New Member

The same thing happened to me. I disputed the charges with my CC company, but I'm still in contact with Neydia customer service to correct the issue. I think if they were intent on soaking me for $30, they could have just walked away and not bothered sending me the socks. Not that they're bad socks, but that's not what I ordered.

8. Dale A B

Dale A B Forum Resident

A Google search shows 2 different scam dectector websites labeling them suspicious or lowly rated.

9. David_A

David_A New Member

I clearly saw that before ordering.

In the meantime, I got a refund of the purchase amount from my bank, who supposedly got the vendor to pay back the money. We'll see if there is any follow up to my communications to the seller, but it's basically a closed issue. I didn't need another 4- or 8-track recorder, anyway. If they just wanted to defraud me out of $30, they could have taken the money and disappeared. To send a box of socks as a placebo seems silly and wasted effort.

10. Wallace Hennessy

Wallace Hennessy New Member

Total scam. I just got my 4 pairs of socks yesterday. I wrote them a pretty scathing letter and was pretty surprised when I got a quick response. They said they will look into the issue after the Chinese New Year celebrations are over, no earlier than Feb. 6th.
    I too went for the 6 track option at the higher price of $29.95.
    I should have known when they didn’t accept PayPal as a payment option.
    I wish Facebook would do a better job of screening sellers, especially from China.
    Has anyone had any relief from this company either through a refund or by getting the proper product ordered?

11. David_A

David_A New Member

I got the same reply. I think it's worth following up on the question after Feb 6.

12. Wallace Hennessy

Wallace Hennessy New Member

I think this company is under the assumption that most people won’t pursue this amount of money and chalk it up to just making a bad decision.
    I am, and may I suggest you do the same, is to advise them that you will be reporting them to
    U.S. Customs and the Federal Fish and Wildlife. It may seem like a stretch to include Fish and Wildlife, but I can assure you through experience, once they get their claws in you, they never let go. This could impede their shipments by weeks if not months.
    It may help to contact their customer service first and see what they say. I believe that if enough people threaten them with this action, some sort of result won’t be far behind.
    I purchased mine through Facebook marketplace and I am contacting them as well.

13. David_A

David_A New Member

If they can pop out an actual recorder after Feb 6 would be a big turnaround, and I think it's worth waiting that long to find out, but sending socks to 3 different buyers on this thread doesn't speak well of their competence or good intentions. Children's socks are of no use to me, and I'm not sure if they'd fit my adult foot. The purchase transaction was registered to the UK, but all seems to be run from China. If someone in China wanted to defraud a handful of people at $30 a pop, why send socks at all? If they took the payment and literally disappeared would be more efficient of a ripoff.

With that being said, I followed up with my CC division at the bank, and the notes of the resolution said the vendor refunded the purchase amount. What a bunch of dummies, can't even have a cohesive ripoff scheme. Now I got the socks shipped for nothing. Without getting what I originally wanted, I still win.

14. Watonga

Watonga New Member

I bought this just in case it was for real, Its not, I only had one parcel arrive on the day that I got the message that my parcel was being delivered . The box was full of socks. Photos and emails back and forth. No resolve. Have taken it to the bank to deal with now. I am usually so cautious buying online, but this got me.