Niall Horan - Solo Debut album "Flicker"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mr. Explorer, Oct 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Trumpet Man/Dapper Dan Thread Starter

Hey guys, seeing how well the Harry Styles thread has developed over the year (big thanks to @BlueGangsta for getting that going), I wanted to talk about another One Direction member's solo efforts. Niall time!

His album dropped today and I'm currently giving it a first listen. Prior to this though he's put out three singles: "This Town," a sweet acoustic number, "Slow Hands," a more catchy, modern, sensual number, and "Too Much To Ask," a really soothing wonderfully written ballad.

Here's "Too Much to Ask" which I'm sure a lot of you haven't heard yet:

Marble Index, Carlox and BlueGangsta like this.
  2. Mr. Explorer

And here's "Slow Hands", which I'm sure a lot of you have already heard , as it's gotten pretty popular on AC radio (at least around me):

I have a lot of thoughts about this song in particular, both good and bad. But I want to hear from more of you guys first!

phillyal1 likes this.
  3. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

So here's my thoughts:

This is the best solo album by a former One Direction member. We get a nice folk inspired album that hits on some sweet and somber notes. The good part is that this isn't a copy of Ed Sheeran; everything has a personal feel that doesn't come off as corny or overdone.

I like "On The Loose"... Along with the rest, but this song has a great late night rock radio sound that works. The whole album is a late night listen. Just pour a glass of wine and sit back.

So, mark me impressed. The whole thing has smooth songwriting.

Marble Index and Mr. Explorer like this.
  4. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

It’s a good album. He’s not the world’s best vocalist..I’d say Harry Styles is more distinctive...Still, the album is pleasant and not too long! I really hope short albums are back in vogue.:)

I’ve never actually heard any of Niall’s singles, but streamed the entire album this morning. Will definitely be picking up the (deluxe) CD. Heartily recommend it. It’s a little Ed Sheeran-ish, but without the usual irritation this normally brings.:D

@Mr. Explorer is becoming a real One Direction fanboy.:)

Marble Index, bob60 and Mr. Explorer like this.
  5. Mr. Explorer

Oh that already happened 4 years ago! :D:D

After 1 and a half listens I think the album is very solid. “Too Much to Ask” is still my favorite, but another early standout is “You and Me.” The title track is also good.

So far this isn’t Harry level for me, but we’ll see how much I end up getting into it!

Marble Index and Bobby Morrow like this.
  6. Mr. Explorer

“Flicker” is a very very good song, and I’m also loving “Seeing Blind”, even if I have no idea who the guest singer girl is.

I think this album does suffer from a lack of big vocal moments though.

Also I wish it had something like “Temporary Fix” on it. That’s one of my favorite Niall features on any 1D track.

7. Bobby Morrow

Maren Morris duets on Seeing Blind. She’s a country singer, I’m led to believe.:)

I’ve played Flicker a few more times now. It does have a samey feel and could use a few more uptempo moments like the opening On The Loose, IMO. His vocals are OK, but he’s not an especially distinctive singer.. I’ve read reviews that said he was going for an 80s Fleetwood Mac type feel. If this is the case, I have to say their material was a lot better than this.:)

To be honest, I’d recommend the standard CD over the deluxe edition as the 3 extra tracks on the latter don’t add much to the album.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  8. Mr. Explorer

Question for you Bobby (and anyone else watching our 2 man thread, lol): how do you feel about Slow Hands?

I think it’s a great catchy song, with easily his most exciting melody, but it suffers from some of the worst production/mixing I’ve ever heard on a hit song.

The vocals (especially in the verses) have the most disgusting sound to them—chopped up, compressed and HEAVILY gated so that every individual syllable is a weird robotic blurp.

There’s some obvious auto tune too, but for once, that’s the absolute least of my worries about this mix!

9. Bobby Morrow

I know what you mean. I think a lot of the vocals are processed. Listening to it CD, it’s not a good sounding album. Loud too.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  10. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

I went into this with open ears, given how much I liked the Harry's record and the last three One Direction records, but this feels so bland and lifeless. I perked up when Maren Morris showed up, I love her, but this isn't very interesting imho.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  11. Bobby Morrow

It’s the #1 album in the US this week, apparently. It made #3 in the UK.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  12. GuidedByJonO)))

Good for him, I just wish I felt more excited about it.

Bobby Morrow and Mr. Explorer like this.
  13. Mr. Explorer

Congrats to Nile! I’m still salty that Made in the AM never hit #1, but at least him and Harry both did it.

14. Bobby Morrow

The very least you could do is spell his name right.:D

Marble Index likes this.
  15. Mr. Explorer

Oh god I’m so ashamed :doh::doh::doh::help:

That’s what I get typing without thinking while I’m sleepy

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  16. GuidedByJonO)))

I'm trying to be more diligent about slowly digesting new albums before I move on, so I spent some time with this one today too. I'm still pretty down on it, my main problem being that I just don't think Niall is as suited to be an Ed Sheeran style folk guy as he thinks he is. The most successful songs on here, to my ears, are the ones furthest from that formula. The back half of the 10-track album proper is a boring slog, yet all three of the "deluxe edition" tracks are better. It's weird, so I took a stab at how I'd restructure this as an 11 track record:

1. On the Loose
    2. Slow Hands
    3. Too Much To Ask
    4. On My Own
    5. Seeing Blind
    6. Mirrors
    7. Since We're Alone
    8. Paper Houses
    9. The Tide
    10. This Town
    11. Flicker (Acoustic Version)

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  17. Bobby Morrow

I do kind of know what you mean. I think I want to like the album more than I actually do.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  18. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

When I borrowed this from my local library I had no idea who the hell Niall Horan was from Adam and now that I've heard the album, I could care less knowing now that he was a member of One Direction, the bottom line is this guy made a pretty damn good debut album, cased closed!

Marble Index and Mr. Explorer like this.
  19. Mr. Explorer

I feel a similar way. I like the album for what it is, but I wish Niall did more rock, as he’s proven in his One Direction tracks (like the aforementioned Temporary Fix) that he’s more than capable of it. He has a unique voice that his fans are really into, and I like most of the material on his album, I just wish it was more varied.

GuidedByJonO))) likes this.
  20. Mr. Explorer

It’s a New Years miracle! :p:p

After months of delays (in I’m guessing both production and shipping) my “Deluxe Book Edition” of Niall’s album came in the mail yesterday!
    [​IMG]

It’s disappointingly smaller and cheaper in construction than the Harry Styles Deluxe book edition (DESPITE COSTING MORE AND BEING A B**** TO PROCURE)

Anyways I’m glad to finally have a hard copy so that I can listen to it in the car and really delve into the songs, several of which I already know are awesome

21. Bobby Morrow

I didn't know there was a deluxe book edition of this... Mine is the deluxe with 3 extra tracks but is packaged in one of those crappy, thin, cardboard, gatefold sleeves record companies insist on foisting upon us.:)

I will say the Harry deluxe is beautifully made. It's far bigger than any of my other CD packages though and sticks out wherever I put it.:D

Marble Index likes this.
  22. Mr. Explorer

Delayed reply oops! The Harry deluxe is indeed one of my favorite CD purchases of the last while, icing on the cake of that amazing album.

As far as Niall's goes, the photos in it are nice, and it has the same 3 extra tracks as your edition, Bobby.

I think these are essential, especially Mirrors.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  23. Bobby Morrow

What country is the book edition of Flicker produced? I can’t see it on Amazon or even Discogs!

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  24. Mr. Explorer

Damn, when I get in my car tomorrow I'll check for you (if it even says)! I ordered it from the Niall Horan official website, to be shipped to Canada. Then when I fled Canada I cancelled that order and ordered it again for US shipping from the Niall Horan Merchbar store (The official site wouldn't let me change shipping country and domestic shipping was slightly cheaper at Merchbar).

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  25. Mr. Explorer

Well @Bobby Morrow , no where on the set does it say where it was produced (even in the disc), but here’s a shot of the info on the back:

[​IMG]

Bobby Morrow likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.