Nice CNN article about 'The Prisoner'

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Todd Fredericks, Nov 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

By flange you mean they don't sound as good as the LDs? Yes, I agree. Sound edgy.

2. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member Thread Starter

Jamie, I think you need to contact A&E for replacement discs. The flange problem was corrected with a 2nd pressing. There was a big uproar about this when the discs were first released.

Todd

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

For the 20th time, the "flanging" is actually a fake 5:1 surround effects track that was collapsed to mono for the DVD. In other words, they tried something, forgot about it, made the DVD and just summed everything to mono. OOPS! They destroyed the integrity of the orginal sound by screwing it up instead of going back to the original M/E/D tracks and doing a straight MONO remix....

4. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member Thread Starter

Yes, that also happened on a few epsiodes of the Avengers. Thankfully, the Prisoner was corrected.... :)

I posted my sound obeservation a few weeks ago about the R2 'The Saint' box and I did find out later that they forgot to sum the different elements to create a new mono mix. I thought they tried to create a surround mix yet it was just a simple mistake.

5. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I love the DVDs, but have you noticed there's some digital smearing in some scenes, most noticably 6's closeup while driving in the opening credits? Maybe this set could use a new authoring with better compression (I think that could solve the problem; not sure about that techy stuff). Anyway, they could then re-release it as a set in a thinpak box.

Doug

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.