Nicest / most personable musician you've met?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BroJB, Jul 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Chaney of Jimmy's Chicken Shack and Cirrus. Jake the evil Redneck (Tony)

Once knew a music agent in the DC area when I was kickin it around there... he took me around to various shows and got to chill with local bands and bands passing through the area. Was a great guy.

2. tedg65

tedg65 Forum Resident

Alice Cooper/John Fogarty/Kenny Aranoff/Bowie/Ray & Dave Davies/Steve Tyler/Brad Whitford/Tom Hamilton were top notch.

Only D Bag I've never met was Joey Kramer from Aerosmith.....got into an argument with me over a mutual drum teacher he claimed he never took lessons from.

Joti Cover likes this.
  3. tedg65

tedg65 Forum Resident

Brian Wilson was out there but he tried to be nice, at least....

4. JeffHunt

JeffHunt Stray Cat Strutting

Add Kid Rock to the list. Spent some time with him before a concert the other week, and that dude is just simply the most down to Earth artist that I've ever met. No pretension or ego whatsoever. He walked in to the room, looked you in the eye, shook your hand, and said "I'm Bobby. Nice to meet you." Talked with him for a good bit, then watched him go tear it up onstage.

Dudley Morris and tedg65 like this.
  5. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

A friend of mine met Bowie a couple of times in the late '70s. At least one of those times was in one of the rock clubs where Bowie was a fellow audience member; may have been CBGB's, I think? Anyway, he told me Bowie was friendly to him both times. And Bowie was his absolute favorite musical artist, so this really meant a lot to him. For some reason, maybe because this friend's no longer with us, it always warms my heart when I hear another example of Bowie being cool to a fan.

6. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

Steve Van Zandt
    Ronnie James Dio
    David Coverdale
    Bruce Springsteen
    Slash

Joti Cover and JeffHunt like this.
  7. JeffHunt

JeffHunt Stray Cat Strutting

I've heard that Joey is the only real jerk in Aerosmith. Joe Perry comes off as ornery, but I've never heard stories of him being rude to fans.

8. Mr. LP Collector

Mr. LP Collector Forum Resident

I've talked to Alice Cooper, but it was years ago when Major League Baseball played exhibition games in Tucson. Rockies and the Cubs were playing at Hi Corbett field off Interstate 10 and Cooper was very friendly with the fans, shaking hands, signing autographs, and also passing out business cards to his sports bar club that he opened up. (this was years ago btw) Super nice guy. IIRC this was around 2006.

If you remember back near that time he had a 2 hour syndicated radio show on the various rock stations that was pretty good. In Phoenix it was KDKB. He would play a general assortment of rock classics but he would mix in a lot of classic rock versions recorded in concert. And IMHO he must have had access to a lot of Westwood One and King Bisquit Flower Hour concerts, both on vinyl and cd as well.Also played some cool psychedelic stuff from 1968.

As good a guy as you would ever want to meet!

Moshe likes this.
  9. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

Brett Michaels with Poison in 1988.
    Super nice, hospitable and a gracious host on the tour bus. We were taking photos and he thought I didn’t get in the picture enough, like I was too much on the edge. He insisted I retake it!

Moshe likes this.
  10. brYantrYin

brYantrYin Well-Known Member

Stevie Nicks ! Super nice lady ,very down to earth and easy to talk to. Anyone in Fleetwood Mac really have only ever been lovely ,gracious and humble.

bataclan2002, telepicker97 and Moshe like this.
  11. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Miles Davis. He brought me a kitten. Afterwards, the two of us snuggled on the couch, drinking hot cocoa.

12. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

you had me until the hot cocoa part, no way you two could have snuggled and not spilled it on each other

13. tedg65

tedg65 Forum Resident

Exactly right.....Perry was standoffish......not necessarily a douche (my wife claimed he was very nice to her, of course!) but definitely didn't go out of his way to be sociable...the other 3 were outstanding though, signing stuff and talking about bootlegs with me and everything...

JeffHunt likes this.
  14. zen archer

zen archer Forum Resident

Paul Stanley. I was in Bloomingdale's in NYC and this guy with a baseball hat and long ponytail was asking these little kids if they wanted to to grandma's house.
    His voice sounded familiar and I then realized it was Paul. As he was leaving the cashier I approached him and told him I was a big fan since I was a kid. He moved
    the shopping bags from his right hand to his left. (he was carrying a lot of shopping bags in both hands!) Paul stuck his right hand out and asked me my name.
    We shook hands and he said "It's nice to meet you Mark."

I put him in a tight spot. He had his wife with him and 3 kids running circles around him. But he handled it like a pro!
    My girlfriend was impressed, but she never did understand how I recognized him.

15. Smxx777

Smxx777 Forum Resident

Ritchie Blackmore. No way. I've read tons of stories about his bad behaviour towards fans, not signing, ignoring, etc. So I never really wanted to meet him.

But he came to Russia a week ago. And I met him after the show. This is absolutely incredible, nice, kind man, a real gentleman.

And he kindly personally signed my UK 1st pressing of "In Rock".

Long live, Ritchie! You are a legend!
    [​IMG]

SRC, izgoblin, BDC and 4 others like this.
  16. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

I concur. I met Denny and Steve Holly on Saturday and they were both very nice.

supermd likes this.
  17. Mike Leary

Mike Leary Well-Known Member

Hands down, Harry Nilsson. I did two albums and hung with him for a couple of years, and never once, did I see him as anything but gracious. He also never lost it in the studio, as well! Not to hi-jack this touchy feely thread, so one of us engineers should start another thread and call it: 'Who's the biggest jerk you ever recorded'?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  18. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Do it, man- probably some awesome/funny stories to be had there!:p Assuming, of course, that the statute of limitations has expired for some of these tales...

19. TheMovieRad

TheMovieRad If you want to count me, count me out

Rod Stewart - great dude - my dad and him are on the same soccer team.

Pennywise, DESCENDENTS, and Greg Ginn have always been great guys to me.

pablo fanques likes this.
  20. TheMovieRad

TheMovieRad If you want to count me, count me out

Wow! Respect! Harry is my favorite American artist. Thank you for your art!

tedg65, Mike Leary and pablo fanques like this.
  21. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

Neil Finn
    Trent Reznor (he was funny and cracked some jokes with my Wife)
    Lenny Kravitz (in 1990)
    Temperance Movement

are the ones that spring immediately to mind...

22. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Has anyone here met Gary Numan? I've always imagined him to be a very nice fella. Seems so in interviews at least.

23. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

Toss up between Roger McGuinn and Donovan. Both were genuinely interested in talking to me and remembered me the next time we crossed paths. Joan Jett was a sweetie too

daveidmarx and Joti Cover like this.
  24. talkingh

talkingh Vibes Controller

noel gallagher met him a few times and he is a really funny guy.

Mlle. Aurora likes this.
  25. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.