Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Jun 3, 2018.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

sorry about that mate. there will be a big slow down now. I just wanted to get some stuff up here.

Gavinyl likes this.
  2. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

I saw the boys next door at their last gig in australia before they relocated to the UK.

3. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

At Macy's hotel in South Yarra?

Gavinyl and mark winstanley like this.
  4. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

No it was sydney, maybe they did one more in melbourne before they left....

I still remember the gig very well...

Gavinyl, Mylene and mark winstanley like this.
  5. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    I was too late to describe this picture of my review at #50. Here Nick Cave and Jeffrey Lee Pierce (The Gun Club) who were fan of each other's music and played both their own blues....

6. mark winstanley

Don't be afraid to mention stuff we have been passed guys. I just wanted to get some stuff up here to hopefully inspire some interaction.
    Stories about seeing the band, listening to the band etc all welcome

7. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The internet says their last two gigs were at Hearts in Carlton. After Macys they supposedly played at The Crystal Ballroom, then twice at Hearts. That's not how I remember it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 'last' hurrah

From The Archives -The Boys Next Door- Concert Chronology / Gigography

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  8. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

the internets is often wrong, as I am sometimes :)

the gig I saw was
    07-Nov-79
    Sydney,Pitt Street,The Civic Hotel

Not even their last sydney gig LOL...

looking through this site to find it I saw many bands I have not thought about in a long time..

From The Archives -The Boys Next Door- Concert Chronology / Gigography

Tch Tch Tch being one of them.

mark winstanley likes this.
  9. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

There's mistakes galore in that gigology. For Example ..Christmas Eve 1977 they played at The Tiger Lounge with Kevin Borich Express but they wouldn't let you in without a 'members card'

Tch Tch Tch were really good. They block-booked the studio at La Trobe University and recorded about two years of material in one weekend.

I reckon they played at Her Majesties Hotel in South Yarra on the 28th of February 1980 supported by Tch Tch Tch and both bands played Rock and Roll (part 2) by Gary Glitter as some sort of grand farewell. (but I could be wrong)

Kassonica and mark winstanley like this.
  10. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

My Nick Cave background:

I found Nick Cave in my post-punk late teenage years - mid 80s to early 90s. My musical interests then were fueled heavily by the Forced Exposure 'zine, which gave much praise to less-known underground acts like The Flesh Eaters, Lydia Lunch, Crime & The City Solution, and many others that I've forgotten over the years, including the NYC scene No Noise bands. These groups, including Nick Cave and by extension These Immortal Souls, walked (and still walk) on the darker side of the tracks, a sort of gothic (but not goth) storytelling that someone of my temperament always finds exhilirating. There's a connection, at least in my mind, to the classic anti-hero mythology - something like you would see in the classic film "The Long Distance Runner". It's anti-conformist too - but also sublimely beautiful in a non-mainstream way, bittersweet, honest, poetic, and touching on the fringes elements of society in a primeval romantic way.

The Ship Song from The Good Son is a perfect example of being able to capture that feeling, along with the song Straight to You, from Henry's Dream.

11. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

I remember being in melbourne in 1980 or 81 and hearing an interview with Tch Tch Tch on RRR, they were smoking bongs on air....

Such a great band, I wish I'd seen them live..

Gavinyl, mark winstanley and Mylene like this.
  12. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

[​IMG]

25-Nov-79
    AU Melbourne,Festival Hall
    [support for The Angels, and with Cold Chisel, La Femme, Flowers]

Fee statement: Reproduction of statement from Dirty Pool booking agency, showing the band's fee ($100) minus cost for damages ($72), leaving a balance of $28. Taken from booklet with "Definitive Missing Link Recordings 1979-1982" 5CD box (1991).

Note: In front of four to five thousand people, they were booed off stage."I can only imagine that Keith got us on that bill. La Femme opened that gig and they were on Missing Link too. I remember when we did that gig our band room was right up in the roof and there was this ladder going up to this hole in the roof. So Nick [Cave] climbed up there, and he said "Oh, you can see down onto the stage from here" and he walked forward and this enormous masonite panel fell away from the roof and crashed down onto the stage. So consequently we didn't get paid! (laughs). [...] I remember we walked out on stage and we wanted to alienate the audience so we started with "The Friend Catcher". So I started the noise and I waited, and Tracy was supposed to come in but he didn't, his lead was broken. So after playing this noise for about a minute and a half I stopped and there was this polite applause. They thought that was our first song! (laughs). Then afterwards, Nick and I were going home on the train and we were waiting at the station and these schoolgirls came up to us and said "Don't worry, we liked you, we thought you were good, even though nobody else did, it's okay ". It was like "Hey, wow but we couldn't have cared less." . Rowland S. Howard from on interview by Ian McFarlane (Prehistoric Sounds magazine, Vol 1 #2 - November 24, 1994).

13. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Is someone familiair with the 4cd 'Crime and Punishment' which is a Japanese compilation of Cave's first 4 albums with the Bad Seeds? I love this collection because is the Berlin era of Cave's albums with the Southern goth theme which you will have in one hand:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

This great (!) Dutch documentary (called 'Stranger in a Strange Land') , filmed in Berlin, is very good for shining some light on Cave's thinking in those days and the albums with the Bad Seeds we have seen untill now. This was broadcasted in 1987 at the Dutch national tv:

Don't be afraid, it's English spoken (but with Dutch subtitles, good for learning maybe some words :) )

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  15. mark winstanley

Nice, i've never seen that before!

16. mark winstanley

awesome! Thank you, I will watch that later :)
    The only documentary i've seen was the recent "One more time with feeling"

17. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

There are two for sale right now at EBay, but not for cheap. Maybe because they are still with an obi. I purchased one however just for less than $40 some years ago, but without it.

mark winstanley likes this.
  18. mark winstanley

Im not convinced tge obi is tgat important lol ..
    For now I'm happy with my deluxe editions .. i love 5.1 mixes

Echo likes this.
  19. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

I have it and some other Japanese promo CDs from Nick. It's nice to have them and some contain bonus tracks but i guess they are not unique masterings.
    [​IMG]

20. mark winstanley

Your Funeral... My Trial

[​IMG]
    Studio album by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
    Released
    3 November 1986
    Recorded July–August 1986
    Studio Hansa Tonstudio in West Berlin, Germany and Strongroom in London, United Kingdom
    Genre Rock, post-punk
    Length 42:47
    Label Mute
    Producer Flood, Tony Cohen

Your Funeral… My Trial is the fourth studio album by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, released on 3 November 1986 by Mute Records. Your Funeral... My Trial was originally released as a double EP. The album was issued on CD with a different running order and the bonus track "Scum". During this period in his life, Cave was steeped in heroin addiction, perhaps evidenced by the melancholy, desperate mood of this album.[7][8]

Cave later said, "That particular record, which is my favourite of the records we've done, is very special to me and a lot of amazing things happened, musically, in the studio. There are some songs on that record that as far as I'm concerned are just about perfect as we can get really- songs like "The Carny", "Your Funeral, My Trial", and "Stranger Than Kindness", I think are really quite brilliant."[9]

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds appeared in the 1987 Wim Wenders film Der Himmel über Berlin, performing "The Carny" (which is heard once before the performance scene) and "From Her to Eternity". "The Carny" also inspired the 2003 animated short film Jo Jo in the Stars, which won the BAFTA Award for Best Animated Short Film. The film was created and directed by Marc Craste, who said about "The Carny": "The lyrics read like a short story, it seemed to suggest a film – a straight visual interpretation of the text ..."[10]

The album was remastered and reissued on 27 April 2009 as a collector's edition CD/DVD set. The CD features the original 8-song vinyl double EP's track listing and track order, while "Scum" is featured as a bonus audio track on the accompanying DVD.

“YOUR FUNERAL… MY TRIAL IS A LESSON IN DELICIOUS RESTRAINT AND REVELATION, A SHOWCASE OF JUST WHAT GRANDEUR CAN BE ACHIEVED BY A SPEEDY YET DEDICATED WORK ETHIC.”
    BBC MUSIC

Tomorrow we will look at the first couple of songs from this album. I am a fan of From Her To Eternity and I am a big fan of The First Born Is Dead, but for me the band really started to distinguish who they were over the next few albums. There was no need to shock and awe the potential audiences with blasts of sound. They were good musicians and good writers, they knew how to work together as a band, they were coming into their own.
    I think the BBC quote I stole up there pretty much sums up my feelings on this album. This IS a beautiful lesson in restraint and focused on telling the stories that would come from Cave's poems.
    The way the core of this band worked together to create the masterpieces that they did is a beautiful thing in itself. It is sad that problems with addiction would claw at the band members over the next few years, but it is also beautiful that they managed to work through that and still maintain the core focus of their vision.
    Surely it must be an encouragement to anyone out there suffering with addiction that these guys were able to do what they did, work through it and still maintain a very high level of craftsmanship afterwards, still with the edge that they always carried, no matter how gentle the song may actually be.
    This album, for me, is the start of something truly special that grew and grew until even the folks outside of the fringes grew to have respect for this bunch of misfits that decided to meld musical styles, with cinematic scope and poetic, if even at times a little dark lyrics.

21. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

I like the first two albums (especially Saint Huck,From Her To Eternity,Tupelo,Wanted Man and the brilliant Blind Lemon Jefferson) but i agree that Your Funeral... was a big step forward. The melancholic Sad Waters,the eerie The Carny or the haunting Stranger Than Kindness are all early Cave/Seeds classics. It's also more accessible than the predecessors. Best one so far.

22. mark winstanley

Sad Waters
    This song is propelled by the guitar and organ, with an unusual combination there-of. The guitar is a semi-aggressive staccato pattern with the organ using a mournful wash underneath. The vocals are doubled, but not doubled in the sense of a dual vocal doubled to give the voice more strength. They are doubled with the singing voice running the main vocal melody and a speaking voice reiterating what the words are using a completely different structure. This isn't as messy as it may sound and is actually quite effective in the context of the song.

Lyrics
    Down the road I look and there runs Mary
    Hair of gold and lips like cherries
    We go down to the river where the willows weep
    Take a naked root for a lover’s seat
    That rose out of the bitten soil
    But bound to the ground by creeping ivy coils
    O Mary you have seduced my soul
    (And I don’t know right from wrong)
    Forever a hostage of your child’s world

And then I ran my tin-cup heart along
    The prison of her ribs
    And with a toss of her curls
    That little girl goes wading in
    Rollin her dress up past her knee
    Turning these waters into wine
    Then she platted all the willow vines

Mary in the shallows laughing
    Over where the carp dart
    Spooked by the new shadows that she cast
    Across these sad waters and across my heart

23. mark winstanley

The Carny
    This song is probably considered the epic masterpiece of the album, but it needs to be listened to in the context of what it is. The song starts with a mournful harmonica, with a distant feel about it. In this instance the exaggerated three beat gives the song itself a carnival atmosphere and the use of percussion to flesh it out in very effective.
    This is a song based in the lyrics and the music is definitely working as a support for those lyrics. It is no surprise to me at all that someone used the song as is as the basis for a screenplay. As always there is a cinematic scope to the song and lyrics that was a specialty of this band, and it drives this song above the wastelands of pop music, yet still remains accessible as a melodic and musical song.

Lyrics
    And no-one saw the carny go
    And the weeks flew by
    Until they moved on the show
    Leaving his caravan behind
    It was parked out on the south east ridge
    And as the company crossed the bridge
    With the first rain filling the bone-dry river bed
    It shone, just so, upon the edge
    Away, away, we’re sad, they said

Dog-boy, atlas, half-man, the geeks, the hired hands
    There was not one among them that did not cast an eye behind
    In the hope that the carny would return to his own kind

And the carny had a horse, all skin and bone
    A bow-backed nag, that he named “Sorrow”
    Now it is buried in a shallow grave
    In the then parched meadow

And the dwarves were given the task of digging the ditch
    And laying the nag’s carcass in the ground
    And boss Bellini, waving his smoking pistol around
    Saying, “The nag is dead meat”
    “We caint afford to carry dead weight”
    The whole company standing about
    Not making a sound
    And turning to dwarves perched on the enclosure gate
    The boss says “Bury this lump of crow bait”

And then the rain came hammering down
    Everybody running for their wagons
    Tying all the canvas flaps down
    The mangy cats growling in their cages
    The bird-girl flapping and squawking around
    The whole valley reeking of wet beast
    Wet beast and rotten hay
    Freak and brute creation
    Packed up and on their way

The three dwarves peering from their wagon’s hind
    Moses says to Noah “We shoulda dugga deepa one”
    Their grizzled faces like dying moons
    Still dirty from the digging done

And as the company passed from the valley
    Into higher ground
    The rain beat on the ridge and on the meadow
    And on the mound
    Until nothing was left, nothing at all
    Except the body of Sorrow
    That rose in time
    To float upon the surface of the eaten soil

And a murder of crows did circle round
    First one, then the others flapping blackly down

And the carny’s van still sat upon the edge
    Tilting slowly as the firm ground turned to sludge

And the rain it hammered down

And no-one saw the carny go
    I say it’s funny how things go

Gavinyl and Longers like this.
  24. Frank Field

Frank Field Forum Resident

Seeing Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds tomorrow night in Dublin, can't wait. Saw them on the Lazarus tour ten years ago and it was epic

Gavinyl, Mylene and mark winstanley like this.
  25. mark winstanley

I saw a youtube concert from somewhere in europe last year and it was awesome. I am so hoping that they release Distant Sky on Bluray, as It didn't come anywhere near me in the cinema. I am sure you'll love it mate

Frank Field likes this.